From: Daniel <dragonheart@g.o>
To: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>, gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Some comments on uclibc-buildroot ebuild
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 02:16:12

All this is still work in progress. The install stuff isn't working and I is
here for testing only. Hopefully won't be too lonkg now.

> Hello!
> > 1. the pie-option patch enforces COMPLETELY_PIC (because it is unsettable > from .config), both occurences can be removed
k done.
> 2. use etdyn should change to use pie, and it is mandatory due to the fact > that if PROFILING is active, libc has text relocations, and won't work > with the current settings (FORCE_SHAREABLE_TEXT_SEGMENTS). The other way > would be to remove COMPLETELY_PIC as requirement from > FORCE_SHAREABLE_TEXT_SEGMENTS (it is unused in the sources, I have > alreaddy proposed it to the uclibc devs), than > FORCE_SHAREABLE_TEXT_SEGMENTS can be set through .config (and the > pie-option patch has to be slightly modified) > the PROFILING option could also be moved to use debug.
changed to use pie && disable profileing.
> 3. the DOWNLOAD_LOCALE_PREGENERATED_DATA it first set to no (this is OK), > after that changed. If you copy the tarball to extra/locale dir, than it > is not needed to be downloaded, so I propose to leave it unset, and use it > for x86. If you do not use the pregenerated data, then I had problems > building them within an rpm-build. It works though from the commandline. I > think, the background processing through rpm (this could influence gentoo > building too) is somehow the problem and it segfaults.
I had problems generating data although I suspects its because I don't have the locals I'm trying to generate. I'll need to work out how locale stuff works and add some error checking to the generation. I aim to add the locale.txt and codesets.txt to a /etc/embedded config setting too.
> 4. if you want to build your own data, then LOCALES has to be copied to > locales.txt
> 5. if you unset UCLIBC_HAS_LOCALE, then all the other related options are > unset (XLOCALE, etc)
Good done.
> 6. the pie-option patch is applied again in src_compile >
That was very silly. Thanks for pointing it out.
> See attached diff to show what I have all meant. >
Great. ;-)
> Peter

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-embedded] Some comments on uclibc-buildroot ebuild "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>