From: Daniel <dragonheart@g.o>
To: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>, gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Some comments on uclibc-buildroot ebuild
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 02:16:12
2 Hash: SHA1
5 All this is still work in progress. The install stuff isn't working and I is
6 here for testing only. Hopefully won't be too lonkg now.
9 > Hello!
10 G'day
11 >
12 > 1. the pie-option patch enforces COMPLETELY_PIC (because it is unsettable
13 > from .config), both occurences can be removed
14
15 k done.
16
17 > 2. use etdyn should change to use pie, and it is mandatory due to the fact
18 > that if PROFILING is active, libc has text relocations, and won't work
19 > with the current settings (FORCE_SHAREABLE_TEXT_SEGMENTS). The other way
20 > would be to remove COMPLETELY_PIC as requirement from
21 > FORCE_SHAREABLE_TEXT_SEGMENTS (it is unused in the sources, I have
22 > alreaddy proposed it to the uclibc devs), than
23 > FORCE_SHAREABLE_TEXT_SEGMENTS can be set through .config (and the
24 > pie-option patch has to be slightly modified)
25 > the PROFILING option could also be moved to use debug.
26
27 changed to use pie && disable profileing.
28
29 > 3. the DOWNLOAD_LOCALE_PREGENERATED_DATA it first set to no (this is OK),
30 > after that changed. If you copy the tarball to extra/locale dir, than it
31 > is not needed to be downloaded, so I propose to leave it unset, and use it
32 > for x86. If you do not use the pregenerated data, then I had problems
33 > building them within an rpm-build. It works though from the commandline. I
34 > think, the background processing through rpm (this could influence gentoo
35 > building too) is somehow the problem and it segfaults.
36
37 I had problems generating data although I suspects its because I don't have
38 the locals I'm trying to generate. I'll need to work out how locale stuff
39 works and add some error checking to the generation. I aim to add the
40 locale.txt and codesets.txt to a /etc/embedded config setting too.
41
42 > 4. if you want to build your own data, then LOCALES has to be copied to
43 > locales.txt
44
45 Thanks.
46
47 > 5. if you unset UCLIBC_HAS_LOCALE, then all the other related options are
48 > unset (XLOCALE, etc)
49
50 Good done.
51
52 > 6. the pie-option patch is applied again in src_compile
55 That was very silly. Thanks for pointing it out.
56
57 > See attached diff to show what I have all meant.
60 Great. ;-)
61
62 > Peter
63