From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] (cross) emerge to a remote fileystem
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 00:01:04
1 > Another option that I'm considering to use, is putting two target rootfs's on
2 > the target's disk. One of those is a minimal rootfs running only ssh an rsync
3 > (for example) that can be used to update the second root fs (ie, boot the
4 > first rootfs to update the second, then reboot in to the second rootfs). That
5 > way you can emerge to some local copy of the target rootfs on your dev host
6 > and rsync it to the target when you are done.
9 I haven't done it yet, but this is the route I am going down.
10
11 I have bandwidth limitations also, so I'm going to make a copy of the
12 route fs, then rsync this against the target filesystem, then as near
13 atomically as possible switch the OS to boot from the new rootfs and set
14 the old root as a backup. (Then reboot the box...)
15
16 Good luck
17
18 Ed W