From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] uclibc-hardened : what happened to the profile?
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 19:00:45
1 On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 13:52, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
2 > On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, B.G. Bruce wrote:
3 >
4 > > my 2 cents: I think you might get more people involved with both the
5 > > gentoo-hardened project and the gentoo-embedded project if there was
6 > > clear and decisive documentation describing how to install/setup the
7 > > build environments - including what (if any) packages should be
8 > > development (~x86), whether or not 2.6.x is supported, and what should
9 > > be done in a chroot rather than as a native build. If people will help
10 > > by providing the info in a raw format, I'll put the doc. together.
11 >
12 > Ask and I'll try to answer it. Consider uclibc and hardened/uclibc really
13 > experimental (and this won't change until uclibc doesn't promise
14 > compatibility, promised only for uClibc-1.0).
15 >
16 > I am running uclibc-hardened on x86 natively, built mips and ppc in
17 > chroot, for mips (probably for ppc too) we do not have hardened kernels.
18 > Without hardened kernels it has no use to go further yet.
19 >
20 > uclibc (w/o hardened) works w/ stable ppc/x86 (and arm, not tested by
21 > me, but stages are available in experimental).
22 >
23 > uclibc (hardened) works currently w/ all stable, less following packages:
24 > a. uclibc-cvs20041117 (not in tree yet, because of bugs in ld.so/libdl.so)
25 > but this cvs is minimum requirement, it has relro/now support added.
26 > b. readline (readline bug fixed only in ~arch)
27
28 > c. shadow (bug pulling in pam), has to be corrected manually
29 I fixed this already.
30 emerge --sync
33 > d. any gcc (misses hardened support for mips/ppc)
34 > e. binutils-2.15.92.0.2 missing archs (tested on mips/ppc)
35 >
36 > Probably when the ld.so/libdl.so bugs are solved, 0.9.28 should become
37 > official release, than the above problems will be corrected/added in
38 > ebuilds, so that the stable tree will work for uclibc-hardened too on
39 > these archs (if someone will create hardened kernels for these archs)
40 >
41 > Peter
42 --
43 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
44 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded) Developer