From: Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] gcc-4.6 / bionic
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 12:04:53
1 Hi Mike,
2
3 On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 12:43 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
4 > On Tuesday, April 05, 2011 22:39:48 Christopher Friedt wrote:
5 > put together an ebuild for bionic, add support to crossdev to mark *-bionic
6 > targets to use the bionic ebuild, and that's about it.
7
8 I already added the relevent bits to crossdev, and I'm still putting
9 together a bionic ebuild. I'll probably modify the gcc-4.6.0 ebuild as
10 well and some logic for ELIBC=bionic. Re: the TLS sections... yea, it
11 wasn't really planned for in advance by the bionic devs so it isn't
12 really integrated into the toolchain/libc and does require hw support.
13
14 http://marc.info/?l=linux-omap&m=120384694214686&w=2
15
16 > you could add your own KEYWORD, but doesnt seem like it'd be worth it.
17
18 definitely not, but I might need to add some rules in
19 /usr/portage/profiles to mask certain flags / packages.
20
21 > as for the rest, considering the fundamental limitations they've added to
22 > bionic (limited libpthreads/libm/etc...), i dont think a "full" blown port
23 > makes much sense.  bionic is a toy libc meant for one thing -- get a java vm
24 > running on top of it.  if you want a "real" embedded Linux system, uClibc
25 > makes a hell of a lot more sense.
26
27 Exactly - it is more or less a toy libc for managed code running
28 atop... but considering that the current alternative to build libs for
29 Android is to use the NDK or multi-gigabyte build tree (i.e.
30 Android.mk), portage seems a _lot_ more appealing.
31
32 A good example is my port of liboctave to Android. I built uclibc++
33 for all of the c++ features android didn't support, hacked a fortran
34 compiler into Android's build system for blas, lapack, and a lot
35 more... it was fugly.
36
37 > so feel free to put together a bionic ebuild to get into the tree, and a
38 > crossdev/toolchain.eclass patch should be trivial.
39
40 I will Thanks for the input.
41
42 So are there no other hidden gems that pivot on ELIBC?
45 Cheers,
46
47 C