From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] busybox + python questions
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 05:49:31
1 On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 21:05 -0400, Philippe Clérié wrote:
2
3 > > it's your system so only you know if you really need python
4 > >
5 >
6 > I was hoping to do the web interface with python. I knew there was going to be
7 > a penalty, I hadn't expected it to be so bad. I would like to stay under 16MB
8 > for the root ramdisk, but it looks like it's damn near impossible with
9 > python.
10 >
11 > Time to look for alternatives.
12
13 Ruby on rails is like 10MB on my hardened embedded system.
14
15 PHP with almost no use-flags turned on takes 3.6MB.
16
17 Lua is even smaller. 700KB. There is a lua web framework called Kepler
18 that should be pretty small. Its not in portage yet (and build scripts
19 are ugly)
20
21 Lua makes it also pretty good on the Computer Language Shootout:
22 http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/lua.php
23
24 If you want to make it really small you can look at haserl. It's
25 embedded shell.
26 http://haserl.sourceforge.net
27
28 --