From: Corey <corey@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] crosscompile bash
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 22:04:25
On Saturday 18 November 2006 08:30, Daniel Glaser wrote:
> You have to merge every library to your cross-compile-root, means in > your case to merge ncurses first to /usr/cross-... And then to your > other root without the X-Toolchain. > This is, because the X-Compiler searches there for libraries and not in > another $ROOT. So, the steps to go are: > > ROOT="/usr/cross-SOMEXTOOLCHAIN" [ > PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="SOMEOTHERROOTWITHCONF"] emerge LIBPACKAGE > ROOT="YOUROTHERROOT" emerge PACKAGES > > I always emerge everything first to the X-Toolchain root with making > packages and then I emerge the packages without recompiling them to my > development root. >
Thanks a ton for the helpful clues! I think I've almost got my mind wrapped around this stuff - but just to be certain, I'd like to clarify one thing. My goal is pretty simple right now: I just want to create a second gentoo installation on a separate partition, which is built from the ground-up using uclibc - I'm still using the same platform/architecture ( i686 ), so I'm not trying to target some different embedded device or anything, and I _do_ want to have a complete toolchain ( including portage ) on this uclibc-based gentoo partion. My intention/aim is to only cross-compile the minimal environment necessary to be able to chroot into this new partition and begin emerging the rest of the software I want, as per a normal/standard gentoo install. Restated, I'm simply after a uclibc-based/built gentoo system. With that said, do I still need to emerge the libraries into a separate "SOMEXTOOLCHAIN" ROOT? Or am I able to somehow just install those same libraries directly into "YOUROTHERROOT" ROOT ( i.e., my separate partition, where I want my uclibc-based gentoo to reside? ) THanks! -- gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-embedded] crosscompile bash Daniel Glaser <daniel.glaser@××××××××××××.com>