From: Wouter van Bommel <lantank@×××××××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Installing gentoo on sh4 landisk (plextor, OEM, compatible) device
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 19:18:13
1 Hi all,
2
3 Recently I started with installing debian on my landisk compatible plextor nas
4 device. For this I used the manual found on
5 http://eggplant.ddo.jp/www/pukiwiki/index.php?Kernel%202.6%20and%20Debian%20on%20LANDISK
6 (google translated:
7 http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://eggplant.ddo.jp/www/pukiwiki/index.php%3FKernel%25202.6%2520and%2520Debian%2520on%2520LANDISK&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddebian%2Blandisk%26hl%3Den)
8
9 But since debian is lacking decent support for the sh-4 I am tempted to install
10 gentoo in this system as it will allow me to build my own packages more easely.
11
12 The above mentioned manual instructed to install an alternative lilo, which
13 enables kernel selection using the powerswitch during bootup. Since /dev/hda1
14 still contains the original image which I would like to keep I would like to
15 install gentoo on /dev/hda3 (or /dev/sda3 depending on libata being used, like
16 the suppield debian kernel).
17
18 However I could not find any englisch documentation on how to do this with
19 gentoo (the lilo with selection for example is still a black box to me). So I
20 was hoping that someon on this list can help me out with some hints and clues on
21 how to get gentoo installed (from e.g. a gentoo-stage file) and on how to get
22 lilo working like I have now, so that I always have a way to recover without
23 having to open the case to attach a serial console and void my warranty (the box
24 is less then 2 months old).
25
26 Regards,
27