From: Marcel Romijn <MRomijn@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-embedded] Network appliance with sound
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 06:27:08
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Thierry Carrez [mailto:koon@g.o]
3 > Sent: Monday, 29 August, 2005 13:50
4 > To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Network appliance with sound
8 > No. The GNAP kernel config does not include sound capabilities. It
9 > recognizes your hardware but ignores it :
10 >
11 > # CONFIG_SOUND is not set
12
13 Ah...
14
15 > So you will need three things:
16 >
17 > 1/ replace the kernel by one that supports sound (making a kernpackage
18 > from the one in your hard-disk-that-works and use
19 > gnap_remaster with it
20 > should do the trick).
21
22 I used genkernel, with the --minkernpackage and --modulespackage
23 options, to create a kernel.tar.bz2 and modules.tar.bz2. This has
24 support for ALSA and my sound interface. With gnap_remaster I created a
25 new core.
26
27 However, since I did not have my setup ready for CF, I tested it by
28 using gnap_overlay to create an ISO. Booting from the ISO resulted in
29 the following:
30
31 <snip>
32 >> Mounting squashfs filesystem
33 mount: Mounting /newroot/mnt/cdrom/livecd.squash on /newroot/mnt/livecd
34 failed: No such device
35 </snip>
36
37 After that, it shows some collateral damage ending in a kernel panic for
38 not finding /bin/sh
39
40 Could this be caused by a badly burned CD-RW? Or is there something else
41 wrong?
42
43 > 2/ add any software needed to play sound. You probably will
44 > need to make
45 > an extension with alsa-utils (which will pull all the others required
46 > deps) and remaster a core with it included.
47
48 Here I was wondering...
49
50 How can I emerge alsa-utils in such a way that I know which files it
51 pulled down?
52 If I just do an 'emerge alsa-utils', the files will end up in my
53 development environment. Is there a way to isolate where the emerged
54 files end up? Is it a chroot trick?
55
56 > 3/ Boot the resulting GNAP system, run alsaconf to configure
57 > everything.
58 > When everything is configured properly, copy the resulting
59 > configuration
60 > files to make an configuration overlay with them, so that you can
61 > produce preconfigured GNAP systems directly. Don't forget to add
62 > "alsasound" to the START_SERVICES parameter in overlay.conf...
63 >
64 > Best of luck.
65
66 Thanks...!