From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] ARMs w/ Floating Point
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 02:41:02
1 Andre wrote:
2 > Check out the open source paparazzi project.
3 > http://www.recherche.enac.fr/paparazzi/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
4 >
5 > and gumstix boards.
6 >
7 > _____
8 >
9 > From: Jack Poulson [mailto:poulson.jack@×××××.com]
10 > Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:17 AM
11 > To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
12 > Subject: [gentoo-embedded] ARMs w/ Floating Point
15 > I apologize for the off-topic question, but I would like to become involved
16 > in the group and need to order an ARM board which actually contains a
17 > floating point register first. It will serve as the flight control system on
18 > a
19 > Unmanned Aerial Vehicle project for my college. Their previous attempt
20 > proved too slow, and I would like to set up a new system running a stripped
21 > down version of Gentoo.
22 >
23 > Does anyone have any suggestions for a chipset? Any responses are greatly
24 > appreciated.
25 >
26 > Jack Poulson
32 Just out of curiosity, why do you think floating point arithmetic is
33 necessary for a flight control application? People have been doing
34 fixed-point flight control and other real-time applications for at least
35 fifty years, and the hardware requirements for fixed-point arithmetic
36 are *always* going to be less than for floating point arithmetic.
37
38 Now floating point hardware may be inexpensive enough now that it's
39 *feasible* to use it for this application, but I really don't think it's
40 *necessary*.
41 --
42 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list