From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: [gentoo-embedded] emerge ROOT question
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:01:31
1 andreas.sumper@×××××××××.at wrote:
4 > Hi Chuck!
5 >
6 > Chuck Robey <chuckr@××××××.org> schrieb am 06/19/2006 06:47:55 PM:
7 >
8 > > Mike Frisch wrote:
9 > >
10 > > > On 6/17/06, andreas.sumper@×××××××××.at <andreas.sumper@×××××××××.at>
11 > > > wrote:
12 > > >
13 > > >> just an idea:
14 > > >> What one could do, is building some sort of target-Filesystem and
15 > do a
16 > > >> chroot into that system. Then the compiler has to be changed to your
17 > > >> cross-compile-toolchain and some of the flags in make.conf have to be
18 > > >> changed. After that, a simple emerge in the chrooted environmen
19 > should
20 > > >> create all the needed stuff and cross-compile it for the specified
21 > > >> architecture.
22 > > >
23 > > >
24 > > > Actually, this is pretty much what I'm doing already but I want to
25 > > > wrap the process in a UI which will have issues with a chrooted
26 > > > environment.
27 > > >
28 > > > Thanks for the reply.
29 > >
30 > > Well, I want to be able to put together a Gentoo system but not to use
31 > > Gentoo to do it, if that's remotely possible. I rather like, for
32 > > cross-building a system, the Pengutronix ptxdist stuff. So, I can VERY
33 > > easily use that to build all the normal Linux portions of a system,
34 > it's
35 > > the Gentoo-specific parts (the stuff in /etc, and Portage, I *think*
36 > > that;'s all) that I need to get built, and I don't even have a list of
37 > > what the names of the pieces are, much less any idea where toget the
38 > > sources from.
39 > >
40 > > To be honst, from the Gentoo side of things, I'm pretty much at sea on
41 > > this. No idea how to even begin, although I know software well
42 > enough.
43 > > Could you give me any ideas what the general path ahead of me is? At
44 > > the moment, I'm lookiing at a very messy job of trying to figure out
45 > the
46 > > portions of my Pentium system will just copy over, and that seems
47 > > incredibly wrong to try. There has to be some central archive with
48 > > Gentoo code somewhere, isn't there?
49 >
50 > One thing you could try is creating a traget filesystem with ptxdist.
51 > So you would have at least an idea, which parts have to be put
52 > together and have a look, if you can find the equivalents in the
53 > portage-tree in gentoo. I guess that this should work. I tried ptxdist
54 > for myself, but creating the target-fs did not work properly, nor did
55 > the porting of Qt-embedded work correctly...
56
57 Yeah, that's the method I intend to use, so far, and I'm working towards
58 it right now, I think they've come a bit since you tried it, it seems to
59 work now, although it's got bugs aplenty still. It's the Gentoo parts
60 that I need help on, I don't even have a clue how to begin for those.
61 Not the Linix parts, in fact, I don't think I need even consider the
62 busy box (and to be honest, I'd rather not, they are SO messed up!)
65 > BTW, use busybox if possible, to keep your target small. This allows
66 > to use many commands with just one binary and some links.
67 >
68 > Bye,
69 > Andy
73 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list