From: Andrej Gelenberg <andrej.gelenberg@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: elmar bucher <elmbeech@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] gentoo installation on openmoko freerunner
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:07:43
1 Hi,
2 to chroot on desktop, you need quemu-user
3 (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/?part=1&chap=5).
4
5 Get your phone an ip address?
6 # ip addr
7
8 What is in /etc/resolve.conf? What say 'dig @8.8.8.8 gentoo.org'? What
9 say ping 8.8.8.8?
10
11 Regards,
12 Andrej Gelenberg
15 On 06/14/2011 10:05 AM, elmar bucher wrote:
16 > Dear gentoo-embedded list members,
17 >
18 > I try to get gentoo installed on the openmoko freerunner phone,
19 > following the instruction at
20 > http://gentoo.mindzoo.de/index.cgi/wiki/native-compiling .
21 > (Last post on this prj page is about a year ago, but I still hoped to
22 > get it running.)
23 >
24 > I manged to:
25 > + fdisk the microSD card
26 > + format the root partition
27 > + format the swap partition
28 > + download the latest stage3 tarball and extract it on the root partition
29 > + download the latest portage tree and extract i to the root partition
30 > + set zoneinfo
31 > + set host name
32 > + uncomment unnecessary terminal in /ect/fstab
33 > + set locale-gen in inittab
34 > + chroot to the system
35 > + update environment (source /etc/profile && env-update)
36 > + set root passwd
37 > + enable sshd on startup (rc-update add sshd default)
38 > + set up usb networking (http://gentoo.mindzoo.de/index.cgi/wiki/USB_Networking)
39 > + remove consolefont from boot runlevel
40 >
41 > But now, by trying to installing layman (to choose a profile) I run
42 > into troubles:
43 > If I try to emerge layman on the chrooted environment the phone can
44 > not get an working internet connection.
45 > Am I supposed to have a working internet connection?
46 > I tried ping from the chrooted environment:
47 > ping gentoo.org
48 > ping: unknown host gentoo.org
49 >
50 > At the moment the phone have the latest version of shr installed.
51 > I can start wi-fi over "Iliwi" in shr. according to the message on the
52 > screen get wifi CONNECTED.
53 > how ever, if i try to ping from the non chrooted environment I get this:
54 > ping gentoo.org
55 > ping: bad address 'gentoo.org'
56 >
57 > The latest I tried: I plugged the microSD card into my desktop, where
58 > I tied to chroot to the environment. Without success. (Which somehow
59 > makes sense to me, since the kernel on the microSD card is not packed
60 > for the desktop hardware. But I am not sure if I am right.)
61 >
62 > So this two question remains:
63 > Do I need internet access on the phone (over wifi or the simcard) to
64 > be able to finish the gentoo installation?
65 > How can I install layman, that i can choose a profiles for openmoko?
66 >
67 > I'm grateful for any hints.
68 > So long, Elmar