From: maxime louvel <m.louvel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] cross compiler for powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:01:21
1 Thanks a lot Jason,
2
3 I gonna start again
4
5 On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Jason <gentoo@××××××××××.net> wrote:
6
7 > maxime louvel wrote:
8 > ...
9 > > I want to install a gentoo system on a mpc8548amc (powerpc based board
10 > from
11 > > Freescale).
12 > > The board is following the powerpc standard (32bits) but has no Floating
13 > > Point Unit.
14 >
15 > ok
16 >
17 > > Thus I have tryed to create a cross compiler
18 > powerpc-softfloat-linux-gnu.
19 > > I have followed the gentoo handbok to do that.
20 >
21 > I assume you mean the gentoo embedded handbook? [1]
25 > > I have been able to emere portage (after a sync) for my CHOST.
26 > >
27 > > I have tried to
28 > > emerge baselayout glibc binutils
29 > >
30 > > There is what I start encountering trouble...
31 >
32 > From the error message, it look as though you were cross-emerging on
33 > your host. Were you using the xmerge script in [1]?
34 >
35 > At any rate, make sure to read Section 5 of [2] carefully:
36 >
37 > "Warning: xmerge defaults to ROOT=$SYSROOT. Because SYSROOT is where the
38 > cross toolchain is hosted on the host system, if you need to cross
39 > emerge any toolchain components (i.e. gcc, system libc, binutils, kernel
40 > headers, or gdb) for hosting on the target system, you do not want to
41 > use ROOT=$SYSROOT; use the --root option to specify a different
42 > directory instead. If you ignore this warning, you will end up
43 > overwriting your cross toolchain with the target system's toolchain
44 > components and breaking cross emerging completely, and the only way to
45 > fix it will be to delete your SYSROOT directory and rebuild your cross
46 > toolchain."
47 >
48 > I looked for this warning in [1] and couldn't find it. Perhaps it
49 > should be added? ;-)
50 >
51 > So, if this looks like what happened to you, you'll need to start over.
52 > Delete $SYSROOT, and crossdev -C the toolchain, then rebuild it.
53 >
54 > Once that's done, you can either use INSTALL_MASK as suggested by [1],
55 > or 'xmerge --root /tmp/newroot packagename' or do what I do, rsync it
56 > out of $SYSROOT with a good rsync filter file.
57 >
58 > hth,
59 >
60 > Jason.