From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] EABI, softfloat, etc...
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 12:20:37
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 01 August 2007, Arturo Garcia wrote:
3
4 > - dont use floating point. sometimes easy, sometimes hard, sometimes already
5 > done for you. depending on the project, this can be a huge sink in software
6 > development costs. typically audio/video projects get screwed here: everyone
7 > *wants* fixed point algorithms to do audio/video processing, but the large
8 > majority of people are fuckers and dont want to (1) help or (2) contribute
9 > their work back.
12 Hello Mike,
13
14 I have a very close friend that is deep into the bowels of video
15 mathematics. She is analyzing quite a bit of published H.264
16 code, various Discrete algorithms, and evaluating processor
17 efficiencies with such code. It also happens she's savant with
18 any form of assembler and such. Maybe you ought to send me a list
19 of software you want ported to the Arm family?
20
21 There just may be some synergies here, as embedded linux is an active
22 area of interest for her, and other embedded folks I know. I do agree
23 that there is much work that should be shared that often does not
24 find the light of open source, not through and intention, just
25 folks are focused on their own little world and do not want to take
26 the time to publish useful tidbits of their work.
27
28 On another note, have you ever thought about petitioning Google and
29 their summer of work intern program to pick up a few gifted embeddable
30 college kids to knock off some of the code you want ported to
31 the Arm platforms?
34 > HTH
35 > -mike
36