From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Tyler Akins <fidian-em@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Howto guide or something?
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:15:15
1 On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 14:48, Tyler Akins wrote:
2 > Hi! I'd ideally like to get X and a few apps on an Aquapad (x86
3 > instruction set). I like the idea of Gentoo embedded, so I installed it
4 > on a box. Thus, I am a newbie to this flavor of Linux, but I still have
5 > experience with other variations. I've been hanging out on this list
6 > and I see the stage tarballs here and there (lost the URLs at the
7 > moment, but they are around somewhere), but I'm so amazingly new to
8 > Gentoo that I don't know what to do with them besides "tar xvfj".
9 >
10 > So, now that I have a nearly blank hard drive and the most basic
11 > components of Gentoo installed, I was wondering what I should do next.
12 > Is there a howto document or something laying around? Or, perhaps
13 > people could show a few sample instructions and provide a few steps to
14 > get me started? Some sample commands for compiling a library or one of
15 > the things that X requires?
16 >
17 > Ideally, I would like to create an image for other poor souls who are
18 > using the Aquapad.
19 I would be interested in knowing what patches you have to add in order
20 to support the Aquapad. I've not worked with these yet. But I know it's
21 a matter of time before I'm making something with them.
24 > I would like to get firefox going at the very
25 > least.
26
27 that might take some time.
28
29 > Once that works, everything else should be a downhill battle.
33 > If there is no documentation, maybe a wiki could be started so that
34 > people can share their instructions with the world, or information could
35 > be dumped into gentoo-wiki.com. I, for one, would be very appreciative
36 > of some sort of documentation that I could refer to and possibly enhance
37 > when snags get hit and whatnot.
38
39 Sounds fine. You should start posting what you know there/here..
42 > If I missed this information in the past few months that I've been
43 > subscribed to this list, please forgive my inability to read and kindly
44 > remind me where the documentation is.
45
46 Nobody has joined the project that is interested in documenting the misc
47 processes.
50 > Additionally, I was wondering what the definiton of "embedded" was for
51 > this list. I am working with a laptop (more or less) with CF instead of
52 > a hard drive and a touchscreen instead of a keyboard/mouse. Is this
53 > meant more for routers and other hardware without much of a user
54 > interface, or would kiosks and cheap-cheap computers possibly fit into
55 > this category?
56
57 I don't think this list can really define what "embedded" is as
58 "embedded" means nearly something different to everybody and what they
59 are building. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet to assume most of us are
60 working with SBC's vs say micro controllers.
61
62 > On an unrelated side note, my Gentoo box locks up after X minutes of
63 > inactivity (me not touching the keyboard). As long as I'm there to tap
64 > the space bar or something every 20 minutes, it is fine. I think that
65 > 30 minutes is the magic number for the lockups. The screen is blank
66 > (setterm didn't keep the screen on for some reason) and the computer is
67 > completely unresponsive (from both the keyboard and from the network).
68 > Any idea what I have misconfigured?
69
70 perhaps check that your apm is all setup correctly and supported by the
71 device your using and that xscreensaver is disabled.
75 > Oh, I also wonder if there are any good programs that a tablet computer
76 > should have. I've been thinking of festival, a lite X client (icewm?
77 > matchbox?), a read-only filesystem (ext3? reiserfs? JFFS2? cloop?),
78 > firefox, handwriting recognition, etc.
79
80 I would not use ext3 on any embedded device.
81 A few weeks ago a very informed user posted to this list about file
82 systems for CF and he was very willing to explain in detail to anybody
83 that wanted to know. So perhaps you want to find that thread and Re: to
84 it and ask your questions there.
85
86 > Thanks a bundle for any advice offered!!
87 >
88 > -- Tyler
91 > --
92 > gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list
93 --
94 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
95 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded) Developer