From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: Sergey Mironov <ierton@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] glibc+iconv
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:38:22
On Thursday 13 October 2011 19:30:14 Sergey Mironov wrote:
> 2011/10/14 Mike Frysinger: > > On Thursday 13 October 2011 15:15:40 Sergey Mironov wrote: > >> Hello. I have my arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi system which uses glibc and > >> busybox. Recently I realised that iconv program doesn't exist in the > >> tree. I've compared host's and target's glibc file lists and found > >> that arm's version doesn't install anything to > >> /usr/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/usr/bin. What can be the cause of this? > >> Small C program shows that iconv_open function returns error code just > >> like if there is no iconv at all. How shoud I make arm's iconv work? > > > > see glibc's files/eblits/src_compile.eblit: > > is_crosscompile && sed -i '1ibuild-programs = no' config.make > > > > i imagine disabling that line will get you `iconv` > > Thanks, I will try it! Am I understand correctly that iconv itself > (library, not program) is a part of glibc and it is not possible to > exclude it during the build? So despite the lack of program I should > still have fully functional library.
your understanding is correct, however ........ iconv() is part of glibc but it relies on all of the gconv shared libs found in /usr/$CTARGET/usr/lib/gconv/ to do its actually work. which we also incidentally delete when building the cross-compiler glibc (see src_install.eblit and look for "gconv"). you aren't the first person to find this behavior undesirable, and when i implemented it, it was more of "let's save space on things i don't think anyone will use". but if people are using it, then installing these things probably makes sense. -mike

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-embedded] glibc+iconv Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
Re: [gentoo-embedded] glibc+iconv Sergey Mironov <ierton@×××××.com>