From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: Sergey Mironov <ierton@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] glibc+iconv
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:38:22
1 On Thursday 13 October 2011 19:30:14 Sergey Mironov wrote:
2 > 2011/10/14 Mike Frysinger:
3 > > On Thursday 13 October 2011 15:15:40 Sergey Mironov wrote:
4 > >> Hello. I have my arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi system which uses glibc and
5 > >> busybox. Recently I realised that iconv program doesn't exist in the
6 > >> tree. I've compared host's and target's glibc file lists and found
7 > >> that arm's version doesn't install anything to
8 > >> /usr/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/usr/bin. What can be the cause of this?
9 > >> Small C program shows that iconv_open function returns error code just
10 > >> like if there is no iconv at all. How shoud I make arm's iconv work?
11 > >
12 > > see glibc's files/eblits/src_compile.eblit:
13 > > is_crosscompile && sed -i '1ibuild-programs = no' config.make
14 > >
15 > > i imagine disabling that line will get you `iconv`
16 >
17 > Thanks, I will try it! Am I understand correctly that iconv itself
18 > (library, not program) is a part of glibc and it is not possible to
19 > exclude it during the build? So despite the lack of program I should
20 > still have fully functional library.
21
22 your understanding is correct, however ........
23
24 iconv() is part of glibc but it relies on all of the gconv shared libs found
25 in /usr/$CTARGET/usr/lib/gconv/ to do its actually work. which we also
26 incidentally delete when building the cross-compiler glibc (see
27 src_install.eblit and look for "gconv").
28
29 you aren't the first person to find this behavior undesirable, and when i
30 implemented it, it was more of "let's save space on things i don't think
31 anyone will use". but if people are using it, then installing these things
32 probably makes sense.
33 -mike