From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Gentoo on handhelds
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 18:49:44
1 On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 19:22 +0300, Vladimir Pouzanov wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I'm working on linux port to Palm Tungsten T3 (arm-le) handheld.
5 > Development tasks slowly move from kernel-space to user-space so now
6 > I'm interested in some base distribution/packaging system for the
7 > handheld.
8 >
9 > I'm choosing from gentoo-embedded, CRUX and OpenEmbedded. OE is
10 > targeted for handhelds but it has absolutely weird build system
11 > (however it is similar to portage... sometimes). CRUX is optimized for
12 > i686 and has no pre-requisites for cross-compilation but packages are
13 > rather easily compiled inside scratchbox environment. Gentoo... I
14 > haven't tried gentoo yet, but I'm doing to do so.
15 >
16 > I want to know the current status of gentoo-embedded. Can I build a
17 > working rootfs based on uclibc using emerge?
18
19 You can build pretty much anything you want for any arch, cross
20 or native.. Every so often when using uClibc you will encounter a pkg
21 that depends on nls/iconv handling or so..
22 >From my personal experiences I've found that uClibc tends to be
23 less problematic when cross compiling vs glibc.
24
25 What is lacking is the glue to make the root_fs itself.
26 But that task tends to be easy enough (depending on desired fstype).
27
28 --
29 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
30 Gentoo Linux