From: Sander Knopper <sander@×××××××.tk>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] uclibc/busybox environment
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 10:50:58
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm currently working on a gentoo based system which has to run on a usb
4 stick.
5
6 I've been playing with the uclibc profile but that still gave me a lot of
7 unneeded things. For example, I can't why how util-linux, automake, autoconf
8 etc. etc. have to depend on perl. So I took another look and saw the embedded
9 profile which to my surprise also uses busybox but doesn't use uclibc....
10
11 Is there a way to combine these two profiles or is it better to make one of my
12 own? At the moment I would go with the second option since it would allow me
13 to use busybox, uclibc and also give me the opportunity to leave utilities as
14 gawk, grep, gzip and tar away because busybox already supplies them. I'll
15 have to take the fact that these programs sometimes aren't fully compatible
16 with their GNU relatives for granted.
17
18 So basically I'm planning to create a whole new profile which doesn't include
19 the base files either since it forces me to install all these utilities I
20 don't want.
21
22 Or is there an easier way?
23
24 Currently I'm using the buildroot scripts from uclibc.org but I just miss the
25 abilities of a "package manager" so that's why I'm trying it this way.
28 Regards,
29
30 Sander Knopper
33 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list