From: Philippe Coulonges <cphil@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] "toolchain"
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:07:23
1 Le Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:43:43 -0600
2 Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××××××××××.net> écrivait :
3
4 > Zachery Hostens wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > i was unable to make the meeting Nov. 23rd, been really busy lately.
8 > >
9 > > I was kinda curious, as to why dont you make the toolchain like a
10 > > chrooted environment, install uclibc and all that grand old stuff in
11 > >
12 > > /home/crossdev then have like "/ROOT" for the root of the actual
13 > > project.... (yea i realize this requires a shell and probably a
14 > > little more) im assuming that may make development a little easier,
15 > > but maybe not needed for how im looking at it.
16 > >
17 > > I kinda think it should be like a secluded environment from the
18 > > actual system its running on...
19 >
20 > Are you talking about chrooting for the build environment, or
21 > chrooting into the system image you are building?
22
23 Chrooting into a cross-compiled system image seems hard to realize,
24 unless you can install a good simulator for the target processor and all
25 the devices of your target machine.
26
27 Chrooting in a build environment brings constraints for no great
28 benefits. IMHO, some environments variables and simlinks should be
29 enough to have an ergonomic dev environment.
30
31 CU
32 CPHIL
33 --
34 Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95.
38 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list