From: Philippe Coulonges <cphil@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] "toolchain"
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:07:23
Le Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:43:43 -0600
Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××××××××××.net> écrivait :

> Zachery Hostens wrote: > > Hi, > > > > i was unable to make the meeting Nov. 23rd, been really busy lately. > > > > I was kinda curious, as to why dont you make the toolchain like a > > chrooted environment, install uclibc and all that grand old stuff in > > > > /home/crossdev then have like "/ROOT" for the root of the actual > > project.... (yea i realize this requires a shell and probably a > > little more) im assuming that may make development a little easier, > > but maybe not needed for how im looking at it. > > > > I kinda think it should be like a secluded environment from the > > actual system its running on... > > Are you talking about chrooting for the build environment, or > chrooting into the system image you are building?
Chrooting into a cross-compiled system image seems hard to realize, unless you can install a good simulator for the target processor and all the devices of your target machine. Chrooting in a build environment brings constraints for no great benefits. IMHO, some environments variables and simlinks should be enough to have an ergonomic dev environment. CU CPHIL -- Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95. -- gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-embedded] "toolchain" Dejan Nikic <dejann@××××××××××××.edu>