From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] musl install conflicts
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 01:07:59
1 On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 10:32:31PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote
2 > I'm trying to install musl (x86) on an old laptop.
3
4 ...and getting nowhere. Can I have some guidance on filing a bug report
5 on bugzilla? Is the 32-bit libmusl distro a "hosted project"? Using...
6
7 http://distfiles.gentoo.org/experimental/x86/musl/stage3-i686-musl-vanilla-20180304.tar.bz2
8
9 ...I run into a "chicken-and-egg-problem". According to the HOWTO
10 http://distfiles.gentoo.org/experimental/x86/musl/HOWTO step 5...
11
12 5) Okay now we can update. ***IF WE TRY TO UPDATE WITHOUT THE OVERLAY,
13 WE GET A BUNCH OF DOWNGRADES TO EBUILDS THAT ARE SLIGHTLY BROKEN ON MUSL
14 AND WILL NOT BUILD.***
15
16 But to get the overlay we first have to do step 3...
17
18 3) We need to get git in order to add the overlay. Unfortunately, right
19 now we can't build git with gnupg support so do the following:
20
21 echo "dev-vcs/git -gpg" >> /etc/portage/package.use
22 emerge -q layman dev-vcs/git
23
24 So I can't do an "emerge" without first setting up the overlay, but I
25 can't set up the overlay without first running "emerge" to build layman
26 and git. Do you see the problem? As per the comment on step 5 I get
27 several "ebuilds that are slightly broken on musl and will not build".
28 The main symptom is that some ebuilds have a dependancy that requires
29 "bindist" USE flag and some ebuilds require USE="-bindist" for the same
30 dependancy. See this thread, which is archived at...
31 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-embedded/message/38e4498aedc2817e96c57b13bc584030
32
33 Attempting to build with either all "bindist" or all "-bindist"
34 results in breakages.
35
36 Proposed "Patch"
38
39 Please ship the stage-3 tarball complete with functional "layman" and
40 "git" pre-built. It may have been possible to emerge layman and git
41 against the standard portage tree in the past, but the portage tree is
42 dynamic, and that does not seem to work for me now. Given how crucial
43 "layman" and "git" are to the musl distro, they should be shipped with
44 the stage-3 tarball.
47 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>