From: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Cc: solar@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] some uClibc experience
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:34:11

I'm new to gentoo(and -embedded). I have built on x86 successfully the
attached list of packages (based on Redhat's rawhide releases) against
uClibc-0.9.2[0-2], all RPMS. If the used patches are needed (and the
spec-files), I would provide them (sorry, the src.rpm's are not
downloadable, I am behind an analog modem ;-( ). The main problems where
NIS,PAM,NLS and some functions missing (not required by SUSv3). The
packages are not used (yet) on a production system.

I've also got a patch for uClibc from the PaX team, to make it possible to
use ET_DYN binaries (pax version, not -pie), but do not have the knowledge
to correct it (if the correction is done, the developers would include it
into uClibc), so hardened-embedded support would work too (I use kernels
patched with grsec-1.x, 2.x would be no problem, the PaX part is the
same, no experience with lsm/selinux and 2.6 kernels).

There are problems building some of the binaries with propolice enabled
gcc, mainly the .hidden support in binutils has to be "hidden" from gcc,
but as I can see (read), the glibc version does not work flawlessly

Some (earlier) ideas (or from other gentoo-* lists)
1. UPX works too (I have built 1.91-cvs), the compression is not so good,
as with prebuilt binaries (NRV is not free), but works also on kernel
images (bzImage)

2. As I have read on the gentoo-dev list, there are many against splitting
the packages in subpackages. For this project it is a "must have it", like
what ibuild tries to do (if I interpreted it correctly), Bering does it

3. The uClibc toolchain is not uptodate, but the buildroot is already used
by the developers themselves to create development images, so the infos on
cross-building are there and tested already. This is the path I go too, if
uClibc becomes binary incompatible. I build first the target development
environment, then chroot into it and rebuild rpm, after that rebuilding
all other packages.

4. My preference would be to replace sysvinit stuff (I think included in
baselayout) with some other init (runit, minit, simpleinit, twsinit) to
have better dependency handling in the startup scripts, also allowing
parallel startup of services.

5. -Os would be better to be default for embedded (instead of -O2) (seen
in the embedded profile)

Peter S. Mazinger <ps.m@×××.net>   ID: 0xA5F059F2    NIC: IXUYHSKQLI

Miert fizetsz az internetert? Korlatlan, ingyenes internet hozzaferes a FreeStarttol.
Probald ki most!

File name MIME type
uclibc.list text/plain

Subject Author