From: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Cc: solar@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] some uClibc experience
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:34:11
1 Hello!
2
3 I'm new to gentoo(and -embedded). I have built on x86 successfully the
4 attached list of packages (based on Redhat's rawhide releases) against
5 uClibc-0.9.2[0-2], all RPMS. If the used patches are needed (and the
6 spec-files), I would provide them (sorry, the src.rpm's are not
7 downloadable, I am behind an analog modem ;-( ). The main problems where
8 NIS,PAM,NLS and some functions missing (not required by SUSv3). The
9 packages are not used (yet) on a production system.
10
11 I've also got a patch for uClibc from the PaX team, to make it possible to
12 use ET_DYN binaries (pax version, not -pie), but do not have the knowledge
13 to correct it (if the correction is done, the developers would include it
14 into uClibc), so hardened-embedded support would work too (I use kernels
15 patched with grsec-1.x, 2.x would be no problem, the PaX part is the
16 same, no experience with lsm/selinux and 2.6 kernels).
17
18 There are problems building some of the binaries with propolice enabled
19 gcc, mainly the .hidden support in binutils has to be "hidden" from gcc,
20 but as I can see (read), the glibc version does not work flawlessly
21 either.
22
23 Some (earlier) ideas (or from other gentoo-* lists)
24 1. UPX works too (I have built 1.91-cvs), the compression is not so good,
25 as with prebuilt binaries (NRV is not free), but works also on kernel
26 images (bzImage)
27
28 2. As I have read on the gentoo-dev list, there are many against splitting
29 the packages in subpackages. For this project it is a "must have it", like
30 what ibuild tries to do (if I interpreted it correctly), Bering does it
31 too)
32
33 3. The uClibc toolchain is not uptodate, but the buildroot is already used
34 by the developers themselves to create development images, so the infos on
35 cross-building are there and tested already. This is the path I go too, if
36 uClibc becomes binary incompatible. I build first the target development
37 environment, then chroot into it and rebuild rpm, after that rebuilding
38 all other packages.
39
40 4. My preference would be to replace sysvinit stuff (I think included in
41 baselayout) with some other init (runit, minit, simpleinit, twsinit) to
42 have better dependency handling in the startup scripts, also allowing
43 parallel startup of services.
44
45 5. -Os would be better to be default for embedded (instead of -O2) (seen
46 in the embedded profile)
47
48 Peter
51 Peter S. Mazinger <ps.m@×××.net> ID: 0xA5F059F2 NIC: IXUYHSKQLI
52 Key fingerprint = 92A4 31E1 56BC 3D5A 2D08 BB6E C389 975E A5F0 59F2
53
55 Miert fizetsz az internetert? Korlatlan, ingyenes internet hozzaferes a FreeStarttol.
56 Probald ki most! http://www.freestart.hu

uclibc.list text/plain