From: solar <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] quickpkg and PKG_INSTALL_MASK
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 20:39:19
On Mon, 2011-12-26 at 19:03 +0100, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> solar <solar@g.o> wrote on 2011/12/25 18:52:52: > > > > On Sun, 2011-12-25 at 11:34 +0200, Kfir Lavi wrote: > > > > > > > > > On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Joakim Tjernlund > > > <joakim.tjernlund@×××××××××.se> wrote: > > > > > > I got the impression from docs that PKG_INSTALL_MASK would > > > actually > > > mask files out so they never get into the binary package, this > > > doesn't > > > seem to happen. > > > Did I misunderstand? If I did, I think an MASK to do the above > > > would be a worthy addition to quickpkg, very useful for > > > embedded targets to keep the pkg size down. > > > Also PKG_INSTALL_KEEP which would list files keep(rest is > > > dropped) would be nice. > > > > > > Oh, something else I wonder about. How does pre/post install > > > work with > > > quickpkgs? Is it possible to have such scripts and then have > > > qmerge execute > > > them? > > > > > > Jocke > > > > > > > > > Yes, PKG_INSTALL_MASK on time of installation will mask the files > > > defined in it. > > > Binary package do contain all files, even the masked files. > > > Kfir > > > > > > $PKG_INSTALL_MASK is supposed to omit the files in it's list from making > > it into the binary pkgs in the first place. The idea there was to make > > smaller binary pkgs for embedded devices and such (for use only with > > private repos). > > > > $INSTALL_MASK is supposed to omit the files listed in it from being > > installed on the file system. > > Hi Solar, long time no see :) > > So the current behaviour is a bug, good to know.
I would not really call it a bug. *INSTALL_MASK is a portage feature itself. quickpkg does not support all the features of portage itself. You could/should file a feature request bug for quickpkg to add such support. Maybe file a bug for portage-utils@ as well because I just checked and looks like we never added support for PKG_INSTALL_MASK in qpkg.c (c version of quickpkg)
Not sure about all this. -- solar <solar@g.o> Gentoo Linux