From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-genkernel] blkid
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 15:50:01
Hello Richard,

On 05/19/2012 05:33 PM, Richard Farina wrote:
> Why was blkid removed from 3.4.32-> ?
It wasn't actually removed, it was replaced by blkid of util-linux. Does that answer the question already? It was a mix of reasons: - Someone wanted nilfs recognition which blkid of util-linux has more than that of e2fsprogs - The version of util-linux seemed superior to the one from e2fsprogs - The new copy_binaries function allows us to use non-static binaries where it makes sense - It made future maintenance of genkernel a bit easier
> Not that I care specifically about blkid but my aufs patches which I was > about to submit need e2fsprogs
What do they need it for? Is it needed _in_ the initramfs? Best, Sebastian

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-genkernel] blkid Richard Farina <sidhayn@×××××.com>