From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o
Cc: genkernel@g.o, Martin Dummer <martin.dummer@×××.net>
Subject: [gentoo-genkernel] genkernel 3.4.49 released
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 17:27:12
1 Dear Everyone,
2
3 I am pleased to announce the release of 3.4.49. This fixes a minor ZFS
4 support regression in 3.4.48 that affected a small number of people. I
5 had said that 3.4.48 would be subject to fast track stabilization, but
6 that regression formed a stabilization blocker. Consequently, I am doing
7 3.4.49 early while pushing back some of the things originally planned
8 for it to 3.4.50.
9
10 A highlight of this release is improved boot speed, which merits some
11 explanation. In short, genkernel loads modules using busybox insmod.
12 busybox's insmod did an unnecessary copy by reading modules from tmpfs
13 into userland and then told the kernel read modules from userland into
14 the kernel. It now makes clever use of mmap() to tell the kernel to read
15 from the tmpfs. This noticeably improves the speed of the boot process.
16
17 Another highlight are the changes to ZFS support, which require some
18 mention:
19
20 1. genkernel will now automatically enable --zfs on systems that have a
21 zfs root filesystem, even when it is not specified, unless explicitly
22 overwritten in genkernel.conf.
23 2. genkernel will now store the system's hostid inside the initramfs
24 archive. This eliminates a rare scenario in which dozfs=force was needed
25 to force import a root pool. Force imports should no longer be required.
26 3. dozfs is now depreciated because of #2. All use cases for it should
27 be handled automatically by genkernel. The message suggesting that
28 people use dozfs will be removed in the next release, but support for
29 dozfs itself will not be removed. The code required to support it is
30 only a few lines and I fully intend to leave it in place indefinitely.
31 Expect it to stay in place at least until ZFS support for booting
32 without an initramfs is ready and likely for some time afterward.
33
34 In addition, genkernel now has a workaround in place for a possible
35 Linux kernel bug that affects busybox modprobe. I plan to send my
36 workaround to upstream busybox and a patch to fix it at upstream Linux
37 after I understand what is wrong inside the kernel and correct it. That
38 could delay the next release, so expect it in 4 to 6 weeks.
39
40 Improvements planned for the next release include:
41
42 * Add a CONTRIBUTING file to the repository documenting how to send
43 patches to me for new releases. We have plenty of bugs that need
44 attention and insufficient developer time, so I want to make it as easy
45 as possible for others to help out.
46 * btrfs support improvements from Martin Drummer. He sent an early
47 version to me, but it had a few issues that caused me to send it back to
48 him for revision.
49 * /dev/disk/by-* support. This will be implemented by importing Funtoo's
50 mdev.conf into the main tree's mdev and then copying configuration files
51 into genkernel. That will require some collaboration with the Gentoo
52 busybox maintainers, but I foresee no difficulties in doing this by 3.4.50.
53 * Initial work toward re-unification with Sabayon's genkernel-next fork.
54 * Spend some time on bugs in the Gentoo tracker.
55 * Look into integrating multidisk LUKS code that I believe that a member
56 of the ZFSOnLinux community started developing.
57
58 Yours truly,
59 Richard Yao
60
61 P.S. The shortlog follows:
62
63 Martin Dummer (3):
64 Advertise zfs support in genkernel.conf
65 fix broken function prompt_user()
66 Fix endless loop in gen_funcs.sh when LOGLEVEL is empty
67
68 Richard Yao (8):
69 Record hostid into initramfs
70 Create rootfs_type_is() helper function
71 Include ZFS support when / is ZFS
72 Try mmap() when loading modules
73 Load modules by absolute path in busybox modprobe
74 Revert "Workaround busybox modprobe's inability to load ZFS modules"
75 call_func_timeout() should return 1 upon failure
76 Bump version to 3.4.49