From: "Amadeusz Żołnowski" <aidecoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o
Cc: Peter Hjalmarsson <xake@×××××××××.net>, gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-genkernel] Genkernel and Dracut integration
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 08:25:21
1 Quoting Peter Hjalmarsson (2012-09-01 20:49:48)
2 > lör 2012-09-01 klockan 13:46 +0200 skrev Amadeusz Żołnowski:
3 > > I am definitely for (1). The extracted old internal Genkernel
4 > > initramfs generator would need to be named differently for either
5 > > case, for example: geninitrd, geninitramfs, genifs, genird or
6 > > geninitfs.
7 >
8 > Whatever you do, do NOT call it anything that reminds of initrd.
9 > Genkernel has not been able to generate initrd/ramdisk-images since
10 > 2008 and Dracut has never have had that functionality. And people are
11 > really confused over what is what, so please, keep use only initramfs
12 > to keep confusion to a bare minimum.
13
14 Right. Good point. :-)
17 > When it comes to the rest:
18 > You make som valid points. I am convinced that we need to refactor the
19 > code in Genkernel, but I am not convinced that we need the split.
20
21 If initramfs part is split, it can live with its own life. My vision is
22 that Genkernel just wraps around and automates build of kernel,
23 initramfs and updates boot manager configuration. If someone doesn't
24 want that kind of automation one uses the Gentoo initramfs itself or
25 Dracut. If initramfs is split the design is simpler. It would also
26 ease maintenance for me, because since initramfs part is split off and
27 everything is fine, I'd like to leave it and take care only of the new
28 Genkernel and Dracut.
31 Regards,
34 Amadeusz Żołnowski