From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: Martin Dummer <martin.dummer@×××.net>
Cc: "gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o" <gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o>, "genkernel@g.o" <genkernel@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-genkernel] Re: genkernel 3.4.49 released
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:31:29
1 On Mar 18, 2014, at 2:37 AM, Martin Dummer <martin.dummer@×××.net> wrote:
2
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > Am 17.03.2014 18:27, schrieb Richard Yao:
7 >> I am pleased to announce the release of 3.4.49.
8 >
9 > Thanks for this fast release!
10
11 I plan to resume frequent genkernel releases. Ideally, I want to do a release at least as often as every two months. That is not quite what past levels were, but it is close enough.
12
13 >> * btrfs support improvements from Martin Drummer. He sent an early
14 >> version to me, but it had a few issues that caused me to send it back to
15 >> him for revision.
16 >
17 > Yes, and after the git patch I sent on 3.3.2014 my development continued and
18 > I discovered that there is some code missing for the case that the multi-disk-
19 > btrfs is "not clean" and the initrd can only try to mount it in "degraded"
20 > mode.
21 > Here comes my question: In that situation - what is the best way the initrd
22 > should behave?
23 >
24 > - - inform the user and ask if / should be mounted in degraded mode
25 > (allow the user to exit to a shell and do some troubleshooting, implement
26 > a kernel cmdline parameter e.g. "dobtrfs=degraded" to override the question
27 >
28 > - - never try this automatically, just print a message that a kernel cmdline parameter
29 > e.g. "dobtrfs=degraded" is needed and stop boot process
30 >
31 > - - none of the above, instead do this: ......
32
33 ZFS will boot into a degraded state on any ZFS system. Unless the btrfs code is prone to false positives on degraded configurations, it would make sense for btrfs to do the same.
34
35 >> 1. genkernel will now automatically ehnable --zfs on systems that have a
36 >> zfs root filesystem, even when it is not specified, unless explicitly
37 >> overwritten in genkernel.conf.
38 >
39 > I like to see this auto-support for btrfs, too.
40
41 I broke the changes into two patches. One is filesystem independent and another is a one-line patch enabling it for ZFS. It was done in this way to allow reuse in other filesystems such as btrfs, but zfs is currently the only consumer. Since I know that you are working on btrfs, I decided to wait for your changes before touching that code.
42
43 >> * Add a CONTRIBUTING file to the repository documenting how to send
44 >> patches to me for new releases.
45 >
46 > Very good idea! I think I received most of the future contents as an email from
47 > you!
48
49 That is correct.
50
51 >> We have plenty of bugs that need
52 >> attention and insufficient developer time
53 >
54 > Yes, and with my work on btrfs support bug #499716 can be closed.
55 >
56 > I will look through the list of bugs an see if I can work on some other open bugs...
57
58 That would be great. :)