From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-genkernel] Re: [RFC] Genkernel4 and Geninitramfs plan
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:49:23
1 Hi Amadeusz,
4 On 09/10/2012 08:27 AM, Amadeusz Żołnowski wrote:
5 >> I am wondering (and asking) because we cannot make a genkernel
6 >> 5.x with just a small fraction of what genkernel 3.4.x already
7 >> could do.
8 >
9 > Yes, I am going to include all these feature plus extras, but I
10 > might redesign options handling, for example instead of
11 > --[no-]menuconfig, --[no-]gconfig I'd better use
12 > --configdialog=[menuconfig|gconfig]. It should not be a problem,
13 > since a major release is being bumped and initramfs handling is
14 > going to be different anyway.
15
16 I see. How is the implementation going to be quick then? How many
17 months are we speaking? All these features need implementation and
18 (more or less extensive) testing.
21 > This is not a problem, because initramfs generator is just being
22 > called without any manipulation - all options for initramfs
23 > generator would be passed as is. It would be best if user would
24 > configure Geninitramfs in /etc/geninitramfs.conf and Dracut in
25 > /etc/dracut.conf.d/99user.conf and these default config files would
26 > be used unless specified differently. Options could be provided by
27 > user also in command line, for example:
28 >
29 > genkernel [kerneloptions] -- [initramfsoptions]
30
31 That's a neat idea. Still my concern was (and is) a different one.
32 To give an example, in the case where the resulting initramfs is going
33 to be integrated into the kernel image, the destination of the
34 initramfs generator must be known to genkernel 5.x (if it cannot be
35 specified). For that feature, genkernel 5.x needs to handle dracut
36 and genkernel differently. I am basically trying to say that it makes
37 a more healthy development process to develop both in parallel rather
38 than one backend after the other.
41 >> Come on, are you seriously suggesting Bash for real software in
42 >> 2012? There are no proper dictionaries in Bash, lists and
43 >> seperators are a pain. Bash is a shell, good for ebuilds and
44 >> scripts, and bad for real software.
45 >
46 > I am suggesting appropiate tool for this task. Please explain me
47 > with real arguments how Python would be better than Bash4. I have
48 > mentioned altering boot manager configuration and parsing
49 > kernel.org already, but that still doesn't promote Python for the
50 > whole Genkernel.
51
52 I have given the real arguments already; there are honestly no hidden
53 real ones. I use Bash and Python at work daily, so I know what Bash
54 is good at and what it isn't. Let's take argument parsing as an
55 example actually again), since you don't get around that one. How are
56 you going to do that in Bash, cleanly? Using getopt(1)? Using a big
57 case statement with extracting "foo" from "--param=foo"? In current
58 genkernel that's a mess because it is Bash and not Python. And I do
59 like Bash btw, just not for the next genkernel. I don't know what
60 else to say.
61
62 Best,
66 Sebastian