From: Zachary Bedell <zac@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-genkernel] Genkernel / Dracut / ZFS, where to start?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 23:34:13
1 Greetings all,
2
3 I'm just starting to get my feet wet with Gentoo's codebase, though I've been happily using Gentoo for quite a few years. I've recently started playing with the native ZFS driver for Linux (http://zfsonlinux.org/), and I'd like to contribute towards getting Genkernel to generate root-on-ZFS capable ramdisk's.
4
5 I did manage to get that working on the "traditional" genkernel engine, but of course with Dracut looking to be the future of things, I'd like to turn my efforts towards getting this working on the Genkernel/Dracut efforts that are in progress. The initial work for ZFS on Dracut is already quite well under way (not by me), though I did manage to find a few enhancements to the boot process while working on Genkernel that I think might be easily ported to the Dracut ZFS module and make things work a bit better overall.
6
7 So... Long story short, I'm hoping someone might point me at the "best" place to find a codebase for a Dracut based Genkernel & ebuilds for same? Googling around, I've managed to find a few various git repo's, but I'm having a hard time following what's forked from what and which might represent the most developed effort.
8
9 Is there anything resembling an "official" repo for Dracut work at this point? Likewise, is there a good set of ebuilds that I should use as a starting point?
10
11 What I've managed to hack together on traditional Genkernel is in yet-another-git repo if anyone cares to have a peek: https://github.com/pendor/ That's currently able to create an initramfs with necessary drivers, discover the boot partition using ZFS' bootfs attribute, and bring the system up successfully, albeit currently relying on an ext2-based boot partition.
12
13 Any direction would be much appreciated.
14
15 Best regards,
16 Zac Bedell