From: "Amadeusz Żołnowski" <aidecoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-genkernel] Genkernel and Dracut integration
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 11:46:25
1 Hello,
2
3 I have a bit more brain resources to continue the integration of Dracut
4 with Genkernel, at last. Dracut was meant to replace internal Genkernel
5 initramfs generator, but recently Genkernel is being developed quite
6 actively, therefore I think it would be a waste to just replace it.
7 Both can coexist. Although there are a lot of differences between
8 Genkernel and Dracut, therefore there's no much sense to continue the
9 integration the way I have started. I have tried to replace initramfs
10 generator transparently, translating command line options and
11 configuration to Dracut options, to be fully compatible. Quickly it has
12 become a burden, because Genkernel code has to be updated according to
13 changes in Dracut. Just imagine you would have to update Genkernel for
14 every kernel release.
15
16 I propose to extract the initramfs generator from Genkernel and make it
17 a standalone project. The rest of the Genkernel could be rewritten to
18 support both Gentoo's initramfs generator, Dracut and maybe some other
19 in the future. Of course this would be my job to do so and I'm only
20 asking for acceptance from you.
21
22 Another problem arisen is the name and versioning. Solutions:
23
24 1) The framework integrating old Genkernel and Dracut could be just
25 bumped to:
26
27 a) 4 - because there's no official 4.x release,
28 b) 5 - because there's an unofficial and dead 4.x:
29 https://github.com/eedgar/genkernel4
30
31 2) The framework could be named genboot, because it actually takes care
32 of kernel, initramfs and boot manager entries. Although we're losing
33 old good name.
34
35 I am definitely for (1). The extracted old internal Genkernel initramfs
36 generator would need to be named differently for either case, for
37 example: geninitrd, geninitramfs, genifs, genird or geninitfs.
41 Amadeusz Żołnowski