From: Richard Farina <sidhayn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-genkernel] blkid
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 17:39:15
On 05/19/12 11:49, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Hello Richard, > > > > On 05/19/2012 05:33 PM, Richard Farina wrote: >> Why was blkid removed from 3.4.32-> ? > > It wasn't actually removed, it was replaced by blkid of util-linux. > Does that answer the question already?
Ahh, my mistake, that's why I missed it, I was only really concerned with the loss of e2fsprogs
> > It was a mix of reasons: > > - Someone wanted nilfs recognition which blkid of util-linux has more > than that of e2fsprogs > > > - The version of util-linux seemed superior to the one from e2fsprogs > > > - The new copy_binaries function allows us to use non-static binaries > where it makes sense > > - It made future maintenance of genkernel a bit easier > > >> Not that I care specifically about blkid but my aufs patches which I was >> about to submit need e2fsprogs > > What do they need it for? Is it needed _in_ the initramfs? >
I need e2fsck and mke2fs _in_ initramfs for changes saving partition support on aufs. This is my patch which applies cleanly against 3.4.32 (which by the way doesn't work at all, something about /sbin/mingetty missing but I'm sure you already fixed that): If util-linux has e2fsck and mke2fs I'd be happy to make the needed changes, but I don't see anything usable when I qlist util-linux. Please let me know how you would prefer I proceed (just don't suggest that I break the aufs stuff up because I'm far more likely to break it than submit working chunks of code.). thanks, Zero
> Best, > > > > Sebastian > >

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-genkernel] blkid Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-genkernel] blkid Richard Farina <sidhayn@×××××.com>