From: "Amadeusz Żołnowski" <aidecoe@g.o>
To: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o, genkernel@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-genkernel] Genkernel and Dracut integration
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 20:07:23
1 Quoting Sebastian Pipping (2012-09-09 20:02:10)
2 > On 09/09/2012 07:10 PM, Richard Yao wrote:
3 > > We could just refactor genkernel by doing the following:
4 > >
5 > > 1) Copying /usr/bin/genkernel to /usr/bin/geninitramfs.
6 >
7 > At that place I would add a step:
8 >
9 > 1.1: Make a new pass-through wrapper /usr/bin/genkernel that forwards
10 > all valid optiuons to geninitramfs. Over time we can "move" features
11 > from Bash-based geninitramfs to the Python-based genkernel. That way
12 > we save ourselves a big bang problem, several branches. I'm
13 > experiemnting with that right now. With luck I have something in a
14 > few hours.
15
16 There are not going to be any branches. Genkernel4 is going to have new
17 repo, because it is being written from scratch. And geninitramfs is
18 going to be moved to new repo, because of name change from genkernel to
19 geninitramfs. Separate repos make life easier, because geninitramfs can
20 live its own life and genkernel4 can live on its own, too. After
21 helping with moving genkernel to geninitramfs I'd like to focus on
22 Genkernel4 and Dracut only and not interfere in geninitramfs in any way.
23
24 Also please don't waste your time for writing wrappers (or doing
25 anything ad-hoc). It is not necessary, as I have described in "[RFC]
26 Genkernel4 and Geninitramfs plan".
30 Amadeusz Żołnowski