From: "Sourav K. Mandal" <sourav.mandal@×××××.com>
To: "Dmitry S. Makovey" <dmitry@××××××××××.ca>
Cc: gentoo-gnustep@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-gnustep] building ebuild for GNUStep application
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:31:49
On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 10:27 -0700, Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:

> Just as an update - those pointers were really useful and I was able to > finalize ebuild after all (see > for finalized version).
I have some questions; see below ...
> However, just to stay on the "purist" side - using "inherit gnustep-2" as > suggested in eclasses pulls in some dependancies that are not really needed > (like gnustep-gui and some other) which is not very gentoo-like. Is there a > plan to produce more modular eclasses to inherit from (I used "inherit > gnustep" and "DEPEND=gnustep-base" initially but comments in gnustep class > suggest that it's deprecated)?
You can ask one of the GNUstep developers -- why does the gnustep-2 eclass have a dependency for gnustep-back? Not all GNUstep-based applications are GUI. I have other questions/comments about your ebuild, which will help get it accepted by the Gentoo devs: * KEYWORDS should be ~x86/~amd64 until it has passed the testing phase, not x86/amd64 * Use "cp -pr" instead of piping with tar * Don't hard code the paths for "openapp" and "" in your wrapper script. If there is a working GNUstep installation, openapp will be in the PATH, and the app will be found by openapp through GNUstep. * Your DEPEND and RDEPEND are really confusing. Specifically: - Why are the versions for stuff under x86 in RDEPEND, but not in DEPEND? Doesn't amd64 need those minimum versions? - Also, doesn't amd64 need x11 and gnustep-env? Typing this now, it looks like mr_bones already made some comments on bugzilla -- hopefully with that and this you can polish off the ebuild. Best, Sourav -- gentoo-gnustep@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-gnustep] building ebuild for GNUStep application "Dmitry S. Makovey" <dmitry@××××××××××.ca>