From: "Sourav K. Mandal" <sourav.mandal@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-gnustep@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-gnustep] Re: Help with gnustep
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:57:35
1 [quote snipped]
2
3 Comments:
4
5 * I would be nervous to use the ~x86 keyword except for specific
6 packages at a high-level. The reason it takes a while for things to get
7 into x86 is because there are obscure bugs which can affect obscure
8 setups -- unfortunately, GNUstep is in this category. A small bug in
9 the toolchain can screw up everything else on top of it. At a minimum,
10 I would revert to gcc-4.1 and glibc-2.5 in x86.
11
12 * Consider adding "-ggdb" to your C(XX)FLAGS, and "splitdebug" to your
13 features. Compilation will produce gdb-compatible debugging symbols,
14 but they'll be split off into /usr/lib/debug to reduce loading times for
15 binaries. This works for ObjC/GNUstep; if you are serious about
16 debugging, do this.
17
18 * You have a ton of USE flags. The more intricate/featureful your
19 system, the more likely you are to get weird bugs. Consider paring it
20 down to exactly what you need.
23 Good luck,
24
25 Sourav
29 Sourav K. Mandal
30 http://sourav.net/
31
32 PGP: 7E7E 14CD A983 484C 8A43 55CA DBAC 539C 1814 3DAF
35 gentoo-gnustep@g.o mailing list