From: "Sourav K. Mandal" <sourav.mandal@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-gnustep@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-gnustep] Re: Help with gnustep
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:57:35
[quote snipped]

* I would be nervous to use the ~x86 keyword except for specific
packages at a high-level.  The reason it takes a while for things to get
into x86 is because there are obscure bugs which can affect obscure
setups -- unfortunately, GNUstep is in this category.  A small bug in
the toolchain can screw up everything else on top of it.  At a minimum,
I would revert to gcc-4.1 and glibc-2.5 in x86.

* Consider adding "-ggdb" to your C(XX)FLAGS, and "splitdebug" to your
features.  Compilation will produce gdb-compatible debugging symbols,
but they'll be split off into /usr/lib/debug to reduce loading times for
binaries.  This works for ObjC/GNUstep; if you are serious about
debugging, do this.

* You have a ton of USE flags.  The more intricate/featureful your
system, the more likely you are to get weird bugs.  Consider paring it
down to exactly what you need.

Good luck,

Sourav K. Mandal

PGP: 7E7E 14CD A983 484C 8A43  55CA DBAC 539C 1814 3DAF