From: "Dmitry S. Makovey" <dmitry@××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-gnustep@l.g.o
Cc: "Sourav K. Mandal" <sourav.mandal@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-gnustep] building ebuild for GNUStep application
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 23:36:05
On January 4, 2008, Sourav K. Mandal wrote:
> You can ask one of the GNUstep developers -- why does the gnustep-2 > eclass have a dependency for gnustep-back? Not all GNUstep-based > applications are GUI.
I thought this mailing list was the proper place for that :)
> I have other questions/comments about your ebuild, which will help get > it accepted by the Gentoo devs: > > * KEYWORDS should be ~x86/~amd64 until it has passed the testing phase, > not x86/amd64
yeah - that slipped by as it's just a copy from my local overlay and I didn't want to bother with masking/unmasking my own packages.
> * Use "cp -pr" instead of piping with tar
couldn't remember if cp -pr takes care of existing directories (on some systems it doesn't (like FBSD)) but tar always produces same result. Not sure if it's worth changing for portablity sake.
> * Don't hard code the paths for "openapp" and "" in your > wrapper script. If there is a working GNUstep installation, openapp > will be in the PATH, and the app will be found by openapp through > GNUstep.
ok, fixed that.
> > * Your DEPEND and RDEPEND are really confusing. Specifically: > - Why are the versions for stuff under x86 in RDEPEND, but not in > DEPEND? Doesn't amd64 need those minimum versions? > - Also, doesn't amd64 need x11 and gnustep-env?
yeah, that part was inherited from previous developer and I didn't really bother to check since it was working fine for me on amd64.
> Typing this now, it looks like mr_bones already made some comments on > bugzilla -- hopefully with that and this you can polish off the ebuild.
yeah, there was plenty of feedback :) it's all polished now. I'll submit r5 now with your suggestions implemented hoping it'll go into portage soon. -- Dmitry Makovey Web Systems Administrator Athabasca University (780) 675-6245