From: "Dmitry S. Makovey" <dmitry@××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-gnustep@l.g.o
Cc: "Sourav K. Mandal" <sourav.mandal@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-gnustep] building ebuild for GNUStep application
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 23:36:05
1 On January 4, 2008, Sourav K. Mandal wrote:
2 > You can ask one of the GNUstep developers -- why does the gnustep-2
3 > eclass have a dependency for gnustep-back? Not all GNUstep-based
4 > applications are GUI.
5
6 I thought this mailing list was the proper place for that :)
7
8 > I have other questions/comments about your ebuild, which will help get
9 > it accepted by the Gentoo devs:
10 >
11 > * KEYWORDS should be ~x86/~amd64 until it has passed the testing phase,
12 > not x86/amd64
13
14 yeah - that slipped by as it's just a copy from my local overlay and I didn't
15 want to bother with masking/unmasking my own packages.
16
17 > * Use "cp -pr" instead of piping with tar
18
19 couldn't remember if cp -pr takes care of existing directories (on some
20 systems it doesn't (like FBSD)) but tar always produces same result. Not sure
21 if it's worth changing for portablity sake.
22
23 > * Don't hard code the paths for "openapp" and "oolite.app" in your
24 > wrapper script. If there is a working GNUstep installation, openapp
25 > will be in the PATH, and the app will be found by openapp through
26 > GNUstep.
27
28 ok, fixed that.
31 > * Your DEPEND and RDEPEND are really confusing. Specifically:
32 > - Why are the versions for stuff under x86 in RDEPEND, but not in
33 > DEPEND? Doesn't amd64 need those minimum versions?
34 > - Also, doesn't amd64 need x11 and gnustep-env?
35
36 yeah, that part was inherited from previous developer and I didn't really
37 bother to check since it was working fine for me on amd64.
38
39 > Typing this now, it looks like mr_bones already made some comments on
40 > bugzilla -- hopefully with that and this you can polish off the ebuild.
41
42 yeah, there was plenty of feedback :) it's all polished now. I'll submit r5
43 now with your suggestions implemented hoping it'll go into portage soon.
47 Dmitry Makovey
48 Web Systems Administrator
49 Athabasca University
50 (780) 675-6245