From: "René 'Necoro' Neumann" <lists@××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-guis@g.o
Cc: gentoo-guis@l.g.o, Brian <dol-sen@×××××.net>, Kuroo Kuroo <×××××.com>, nirbheek.chauhan@×××××.com, Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o>, Porthole-Developers <porthole-devel@×××××××××××××××××.net>, info@×××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-guis] One backend for alle portage GUIs
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 23:24:44

It's going stepwise forward :) Today during some boring university
classes I created a first provider for portage [1]. It is strongly based
on the old backend for portato -- with other words, the API is far from
being considered stable. If you want to take a look at what the current
API is, you find the files under [1] and (as it is not really
documented) some comments here [2]. The comments are not 1:1, but you
should get the idea :)

Further, I created two ebuilds: "app-portage/catapult" and
"app-portage/catapult-portage". You find all info about them in the wiki

If you want to check the new provider: I have copied the client for the
showcase and changed it to the provider API. You have two possibilities
to start it:

1.) Go into the provider dir: Launch and then the
2.) Install the two ebuilds (just do "USE='portage' emerge -av
catapult"), then go into the provider dir and launch (Yes -
the daemon is started automatically ... dbus ftw ;P)

At the beginning of next week, I'm planning to make portato use this new
amazing backend :). We'll see if this is going to work... (Rumors say
that currently dbus times out on the first connect...)

- - a tired Nec

Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -