From: Yuji Carlos Kosugi <carlos@g.o>
To: gentoo-gwn@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-gwn] Gentoo Weekly Newsletter - Volume 2, Issue 46
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:25:03
Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
This is the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter for the week of November 17th, 2003.
1. Gentoo News
 * now live
 * Porting "sandbox" to BSD libc now live
We're proud to announce that[1] is now up, replacing
the old online package database with a new one featuring many

 * a searchable interface
 * a chronology of new packages
 * more information about each package, including the most recent
changelog entries
 * an easy way to tell which packages are masked on various architectures
Porting "sandbox" to BSD libc
The Gentoo-BSD subproject is seeking an individual who would be interested
in porting Portage's sandbox code so that it works on the *BSDs as well as
on linux. In principle this task should be fairly straightforward, as one
just needs to replace the linux-specific system calls with their *BSD
equivalents--anybody who has ever had a course using W. Richard Stevens'
classic "Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment" text (or a more
modern equivalent) would be more than qualified. Moreover, a successful
port would also use GNU autotools to identify the requisite system calls
using the normal "configure" script. Anybody interested should e-mail his
or her intent and qualifications to Grant Goodyear[2].

 2. g2boojum@g.o
2. Featured Developer of the Week
This week's featured developer is somewhat more mysterious than most,
having declined to provide either a photograph or an IRS-compatible name.
We even have to guess at a pronoun, but the fact that Luke-Jr[3] is a
Computer Science student at Tunxis Community College[4] indicates that it
is likely he is a resident of Connecticut in the U.S. In Gentoo's virtual
community, Luke-Jr works to bring "Gentoo to every computer user" by
working on tools like a newbie-friendly graphical installer. He may also
end up taking over KPortage[5], unless some other willing soul appears. He
is currently working on developing BitTorrent[6] based tools for
distributing things like LiveCDs and stages.

 3. luke-jr@g.o
Luke-Jr has been using Linux since Red Hat 5.2 and later switched to a
packageless manual compile system. He moved to Gentoo over a year ago when
he began to feel the pain of keeping his system up-to-date. After spending
some considerable time at the Gentoo booth at LinuxWorld Expo in January
of 2003, he began to consider forking Gentoo to create a more
newbie-friendly version. Upon discovering that the existing Gentoo
developers had no objection to adding those tools to the existing distro,
he began working as a Gentoo developer.
Luke-Jr has a fair bit of experience in Open Source development. He was a
primary developer on the Open Direct Connect[7] file sharing program as
well as working on the Kye[8] puzzle game (which he plans to port to QT),
MOO extensions and Tasogare[9], a multiplayer online RPG engine. He was
particularly pleased with $phone, a MOO extension that allowed users to
call virtual phone numbers on other MOOs, and the accomplishment of
rewriting the Kye engine. Nevertheless, he considers Gentoo his "primary
job", describing it as "the best operating system that currently exists".

Luke-Jr is a KDE[10] user, largely because of the window manager,
Konqueror, Kontact, Konsole and the Kicker (although he would consider
dropping the last if someone would port the OSX taskbar). His favorite
applications include Qt Designer[11], Mozilla Composer[12] and Psi[13].

Luke-Jr's favorite quote comes is one of Richard Stallman's comments on
proprietary software: "It was useless for a community." In that vein, he
made a plea for people to shift away from obsolete or closed IM protocols
toward the open and standardized Jabber/XMPP. He also points out that he
has made the  hex time [14] display from his  screenshot[15] available
with emerge khexclock.

3. Gentoo Security

Note: There were no new security announcements this week.
New Security Bug Reports
The following new security bugs were posted this week:
 * sys-libs/glibc[16]
4. Heard in the Community
Moving /usr/portage
Eventually, everyone seems to run low on disk space. One Gentoo list
member was curious if it was possible to move /usr/portage to some place
else to free some up. The short answer is "yes"; the question resulted in
a cool thread with many useful `mount' tricks. Read  on [17] here.

Gentoo Documentation.
Now, like so many other things about gentoo, the Gentoo Documentation
Project (GDP) has a home page[18]. Have a look here[19] for the details
about the project..

Losing Ebuilds (a.k.a. the joys of openssl-0.9.7!)
Have a look at this[20] problem around old computers doing security
updates, and running into trouble when the older ebuilds for a certain
package have been deleted from the tree as older versions.

5. Gentoo International
Gentoo International is on hiatus this week.
6. Portage Watch
Portage Watch is on hiatus this week.
7. Bugzilla
 * Statistics
 * Closed Bug Ranking
 * New Bug Rankings
The Gentoo community uses Bugzilla ([21]) to record and
track bugs, notifications, suggestions and other interactions with the
development team. Between 08 November 2003 and 14 November 2003, activity
on the site has resulted in:

 * 0 new bugs during this period
 * 261 bugs closed or resolved during this period
 * 7 previously closed bugs were reopened this period
Of the 4149 currently open bugs: 104 are labeled 'blocker', 191 are
labeled 'critical', and 323 are labeled 'major'.
Closed Bug Rankings
The developers and teams who have closed the most bugs during this period
 * Portage Team[22], with 18 closed bugs[23]
 * Gentoo KDE Team[24], with 16 closed bugs[25]
 * Gentoo Games[26], with 15 closed bugs[27]
 * AMD64 Porting Team[28], with 12 closed bugs[29]
 22. dev-portage@g.o
 24. kde@g.o
 26. games@g.o
 28. amd64@g.o
New Bug Rankings
The developers and teams who have been assigned the most new bugs during
this period are:
 * Media-GFX Herd[30], with 19 new bugs[31]
 * Desktop Miscellaneous Team[32], with 16 new bugs[33]
 * Gentoo KDE Team[34], with 13 new bugs[35]
 * Martin Schlemmer[36], with 12 new bugs[37]
 * Gentoo Sound Team[38], with 11 new bugs[39]
 30. graphics@g.o
 32. desktop-misc@g.o
 34. kde@g.o
 36. azarah@g.o
 38. sound@g.o
8. Tips and Tricks
Using the file command
This week's tip demonstrates the use of the file command. This command has
been in UNIX since at least 1973 but is often overlooked. However, it's an
extremely useful command for classifying files.
The file command is provided by the package sys-apps/file, so if you don't
already have it installed, you'll need to type emerge file. Chances are
you've already got it on your system though. To use file simply type file
filename and you'll see information about the filename you passed in.
Simple right?
| Code Listing 8.1:                                                       |
| Using file                                                              |
|% file css current.xml tips-20031117.xml tips-20031117.html screenlog.0  |
|css:                directory                                            |
|current.xml:        symbolic link to `tips-20031117.xml'                 |
|tips-20031117.xml:  ASCII English text                                   |
|tips-20031117.html: UTF-8 Unicode HTML document text with very long lines|
|screenlog.0:        ASCII English text, with CRLF, CR line terminators,  |
|with escape sequences, with overstriking                                 |
|//You can also use file to look at shell scripts                           |
|% file bin/fix bin/                                         |
|bin/fix:           a /usr/bin/perl -w script text executable             |
|bin/ a /bin/sh script text executable                      |
|//Or you can check binary files                                            |
|% file /bin/cp                                                           |
|/bin/cp: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for   |
|GNU/Linux 2.4.1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped         |
|//As the last example, you can use it on 'core' files                      |
|% file core                                                              |
|core: ELF 32-bit LSB core file Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), SVR4-style,|
|SVR4-style, from 'a.out'                                                 |
This should get you started but there are many other uses of file, see the
man page (man 1 file) for more information.
9. Moves, Adds and Changes
The following developers recently left the Gentoo team:
 * none this week
The following developers recently joined the Gentoo Linux team:
 * Andrea Luzzardi (scox) - sandbox and kernel
The following developers recently changed roles within the Gentoo Linux
 * none this week
10. Contribute to GWN
Interested in contributing to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter? Send us an

 40. gwn-feedback@g.o
11. GWN Feedback
Please send us your feedback[41] and help make the GWN better.

 41. gwn-feedback@g.o
12. GWN Subscription Information
To subscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank email to
To unsubscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank email to
gentoo-gwn-unsubscribe@g.o from the email address you are
subscribed under.
13. Other Languages
The Gentoo Weekly Newsletter is also available in the following languages:
 * Dutch[42]
 * English[43]
 * German[44]
 * French[45]