From: Ulrich Plate <plate@g.o>
To: gentoo-gwn@××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-gwn] Gentoo Weekly Newsletter 24 January 2005
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 03:16:00
1 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
3 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/current.xml
4 This is the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter for the week of 24 January 2005.
5 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
6
7 ==============
8 1. Gentoo News
9 ==============
10
11 Gentoo/OpenSolaris
12 ------------------
13
14 Only few hours ahead of the first of many components[1] of the complete
15 Solaris source code being publicly released under Sun's brand new,
16 OSI-approved CDDL open-source license, Gentoo is pleased to announce plans
17 to add OpenSolaris[2] support to Portage. Gentoo Senior Manager and
18 OpenSolaris pilot program participant, Pieter Van den Abeele, has been
19 working closely with Sun's management, legal and engineering teams to
20 prepare this move. Gentoo will be leveraging the hard work of long-time
21 Solaris users and Gentoo Developers-in-training Sunil Kumar and Jason
22 Wohlgemuth, whose "Portaris" project has been running on top of Solaris 9
23 and 10 builds for quite a while already[3].
24 1. http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/01/23/0349259
25 2. http://www.opensolaris.org
26 3. http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20040202-newsletter.xml#doc_chap4
27
28 Figure 1.1: OpenSolaris + Looking Glass - an interesting alternative for
29 the open-source desktop market
30 http://www.gentoo.org/images/gwn/20050124_looking-glass.jpg
31
32 With "Sun going back to its roots by open-sourcing the code," Pieter
33 expects OpenSolaris to have a huge impact on the open-source market. "With
34 their service and support network and their expertise, they can redefine
35 at least part of the open-source landscape in the enterprise," says
36 Pieter. And he expects Gentoo to become an important factor for
37 OpenSolaris' success: "We're able to build on prior experience with Gentoo
38 ports to non-Linux operating systems, we've had the technology preview of
39 Gentoo for Mac OS X[4], we've got developers working full-time on
40 Opendarwin support, and we're well out of the starting blocks for the race
41 to Gentoo-ifiedBSD kernels and userland applications[5]," he says. "But
42 even I wasn't quite prepared for my Sparc booting with a Gentoo
43 bootsplash," laughs Pieter.
44 4. http://www.metadistribution.org/macos
45 5. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/bsd/
46
47 The unofficial Portaris[6] or "Portage for Solaris" project has been
48 maintaining Gentoo's package management system on top of Solaris 9 and 10
49 systems. Its two biggest contributors, Sunil Kumar and Jason Wohlgemuth
50 (who, like Pieter, is a member of Sun's pilot program for open-sourcing
51 Solaris), have invested a tremendous amount of their time in this project,
52 culminating in a veritable installer for Solaris[7] that has been
53 available to a small, knowledgeable Solaris user community for several
54 months already.
55 6. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=113387
56 7. http://dev.gentoo.org/~pvdabeel/solaris9/
57
58 New kernel profiles for 2005.0
59 ------------------------------
60
61 In view of the 2005.0 release date, the Gentoo developers on the kernel
62 team have been working very hard amalgamating the sources in the Portage
63 tree. Since the 2.6 kernel tree will become the default for all supported
64 architectures except Sparc, the separate kernel categories in Portage are
65 being abolished and replaced by the same generic names formerly used for
66 the 2.4 versions of the same sources. This is the first time that the new
67 "cascading profiles" feature in Portage has been used to manage the
68 dependancy requirements of a package. In essence, this means that the same
69 package - say, gentoo-sources - will automatically decide whether its 2.6
70 or 2.4 version is being requested, based on the specifications in the
71 chosen sub-profile. By linking /etc/make.profile to either the 2.4 or 2.6
72 subprofile (whichever may exist for your profile)
73 in/usr/portage/profiles/default-[OS]/[arch]/2005.0/, you can choose which
74 one you want as your personal default, while the other version will be
75 masked.If you don't choose a subprofile, 2.6 will automatically become the
76 default, where applicable.
77
78 "If you're currently still running 2.4 kernels, but don't care all that
79 much about staying, this would be a perfect moment to switch," suggests
80 Gentoo kernel devJohn Mylchreest[8]. "We do recommend switching to 2.6
81 wherever possible, and you can catch up on what's involved by reading our
82 kernel migration guide[9]." Sparc being the only architecture with a
83 number of unresolved issues preventing a move to 2.6 as default, the newer
84 version will become the standard for virtually everybody else. Users with
85 any of the following kernel sources currently installed on their systems
86 need to be aware that these are going to be removed at the same time as
87 the 2005.0 release. Their replacements are also listed:
88 8. johnm@g.o
89 9. http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/migration-to-2.6.xml
90
91 * development-sources will become vanilla-sources
92 * gentoo-dev-sources will become gentoo-sources
93 * rsbac-dev-sources will become rsbac-sources
94 * hardened-dev-sources will become hardened-sources
95
96 The switch is going to be automatic for users who follow a steady rsync
97 and emerge world diet. When the next version of their kernel sources
98 becomes available, an emerge --update will pull in the source tarball
99 under its new name, and update accordingly. While the Gentoo kernel team
100 recommends switching, this also works for users with specific reasons to
101 keep their 2.4 series: They just have to make sure they link to a 2.4
102 subprofile, and emerge --update for them will consequently only fetch and
103 install newer versions in the 2.4 tree, not 2.6.
104
105 The move on to the new profile that sets 2.6 by default will involve
106 changing from the old linux26-headers to linux-headers at the same time.
107 An emerge glibc - or emerge system - may be a good idea at that point.
108
109 Except for the pegasos-dev-sources that have already been moved
110 topegasos-sources, the changeover will occur at the same time as the
111 2005.0 release. More detailed information, including specific instructions
112 for linking /etc/make.profile to the right subprofile will be made
113 available at that time.
114
115 Genesi Open Desktop Workstation sales - Gentoo Linux pre-installed
116 ------------------------------------------------------------------
117
118 >From 1 March 2005, Luxembourg-based Genesi[10] will start selling their
119 Open Desktop Workstation in a configuration with Gentoo Linux
120 pre-installed - for a price of $999 USD, ten percent of which will be
121 donated to the Gentoo Foundation! Bill Buck, CEO of Genesi, explains the
122 new sponsoring deal: "For every workstation we sell thanks to a referral
123 from Gentoo's website, we'll donate 100 USD to the Foundation." As many
124 Gentoo users have been looking for attractive opportunities to support
125 Gentoo financially, sales are expected to soar now that the ODWs are
126 clearly benefitting the project as a whole. Moreover, Genesi is offering
127 their Gentoo-ified models at a considerable rebate compared to their own
128 standard offers of desktop and server configurations for $1399 and $1799
129 USD.
130 10. http://www.genesi.lu
131
132 Figure 1.1: Open Desktop Workstations with Gentoo Linux/PPC, shipping soon!
133 http://www.gentoo.org/images/gwn/20050124_odw.jpg
134
135 The Open Desktop Workstation is configured as follows:
136
137 * Pegasos II with 1GHz G4 processor
138 * 256MB of PC2100 DDR RAM
139 * CDRW drive
140 * 40GB ATA100 Hard Disk
141 * Radeon 9200SE 128MB AGP Graphics with DVI, VGA, and TV-Out
142 * Low profile small footprint case - tower or desktop orientation
143
144 Thirteen of these ODWs had previously been donated to Gentoo developers
145 for thorough testing and feature development, and consequently Gentoo
146 fully supports the PegasosPPC. The pre-installed version is based on the
147 2004.3 release of Gentoo Linux/PPC.
148
149 Pre-ordering is available right away. Sales will begin on 1 March 2005 -
150 detailed information about how to order will be sent to everyone
151 expressing interest. To be alerted when orders for the ODWs with Gentoo
152 Linux can be placed, send a message to odw@g.o.
153
154 ==============
155 2. Future Zone
156 ==============
157
158 Renovating the Forums - phpBB brush-up and other changes
159 --------------------------------------------------------
160
161 Something's afoot in the Forums, and we asked one of the admins,Christian
162 Hartmann[11] (ian), what was going on. The following interview sheds some
163 light on what we can expect to happen in the very near future:
164 11. ian@g.o
165
166 Q: The Forums footer says: Powered by phpBB 2.0.x © 2001, 2002 phpBB
167 Group. What version are we actually using at the moment?
168
169 A: At the moment we are using a heavily patched version of the phpBB 2.0
170 branch. All security related bugs have been patched. Furthermore we
171 applied some performance tweaks and other modifications[12].
172 12. http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20040920-newsletter.xml#doc_chap1
173
174 Q: Why aren't you just using a vanilla phpBB 2.0.11 instead?
175
176 A:That's a very frequently asked question. First of all we will indeed
177 switch to the latest stable phpBB release soon. Backporting all the
178 patches we applied to their 2.0.x codebase will almost be done by the time
179 you read this.
180
181 Q: What about all the feature requests in Gentoo Forums Feedback[13]?
182 13. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum.php?f=5
183
184 A: We look at every post in Gentoo Forums Feedback and know exactly what
185 our users demand. After installing the new forums software we will have a
186 look at implementing a lot of new and exciting stuff. Expect a period
187 where we'll have something new almost every week...
188
189 Q: Does that mean that you will also make use of mods?
190
191 A: Exactly! That is one of the reasons why we are switching to the latest
192 phpBB release. This will make adding modifications much easier.
193
194 Q: Adding modifications to the forums were a "no-no" for a long time.
195 Whatmade you change your mind?
196
197 A: Gentoo is project based entirely on the work of volunteers, and so is
198 its Infrastructure team. We just didn't have the resources to do any of
199 the more sophisticated things. Now that we do, it was about time we
200 changed our policy and started working on it.
201
202 Q: Talking about modifications and additions, what can we expect to see?
203
204 A: We'll have to move the forums web service to a different server soon,
205 and we'll start making use of the new forums software when switching to
206 that new server. The user hopefully will not even realize that we switched
207 to different software. It will be mostly the same as it is now, just with
208 a clean codebase, and with some of the earlier itches like the search
209 bug[14] ironed out. More corrections will be made to the language packs,
210 and after that we will add two more forums, one each for our Turkish and
211 our Arab users. There's a lot more on our todo-list, but we can talk about
212 those additions once we're done with the first batch.
213 14. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=279845
214
215 ==================
216 3. Gentoo security
217 ==================
218
219 Squid: Multiple vulnerabilities
220 -------------------------------
221
222 Squid contains vulnerabilities in the the code handling NTLM (NT Lan
223 Manager), Gopher to HTML and WCCP (Web Cache Communication Protocol) which
224 could lead to denial of service and arbitrary code execution.
225
226 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[15]
227 15. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-25.xml
228
229 ImageMagick: PSD decoding heap overflow
230 ---------------------------------------
231
232 ImageMagick is vulnerable to a heap overflow when decoding Photoshop
233 Document (PSD) files, which could lead to arbitrary code execution.
234
235 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[16]
236 16. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-26.xml
237
238 Ethereal: Multiple vulnerabilities
239 ----------------------------------
240
241 Multiple vulnerabilities exist in Ethereal, which may allow an attacker to
242 run arbitrary code, crash the program or perform DoS by CPU and disk
243 utilization.
244
245 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[17]
246 17. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-27.xml
247
248 Xpdf, GPdf: Stack overflow in Decrypt::makeFileKey2
249 ---------------------------------------------------
250
251 A stack overflow was discovered in Xpdf, potentially resulting in the
252 execution of arbitrary code. GPdf includes Xpdf code and therefore is
253 vulnerable to the same issue.
254
255 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[18]
256 18. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-28.xml
257
258 Mailman: Cross-site scripting vulnerability
259 -------------------------------------------
260
261 Mailman is vulnerable to cross-site scripting attacks.
262
263 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[19]
264 19. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-29.xml
265
266 CUPS: Stack overflow in included Xpdf code
267 ------------------------------------------
268
269 CUPS includes Xpdf code and therefore is vulnerable to the recent stack
270 overflow issue, potentially resulting in the remote execution of arbitrary
271 code.
272
273 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[20]
274 20. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-30.xml
275
276 teTeX, pTeX, CSTeX: Multiple vulnerabilities
277 --------------------------------------------
278
279 teTeX, pTeX and CSTeX make use of vulnerable Xpdf code which may allow the
280 remote execution of arbitrary code. Furthermore, the xdvizilla script is
281 vulnerable to temporary file handling issues.
282
283 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[21]
284 21. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-31.xml
285
286 KPdf, KOffice: Stack overflow in included Xpdf code
287 ---------------------------------------------------
288
289 KPdf and KOffice both include vulnerable Xpdf code to handle PDF files,
290 making them vulnerable to the execution of arbitrary code.
291
292 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[22]
293 22. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-32.xml
294
295 MySQL: Insecure temporary file creation
296 ---------------------------------------
297
298 MySQL is vulnerable to symlink attacks, potentially allowing a local user
299 to overwrite arbitrary files.
300
301 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[23]
302 23. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200501-33.xml
303
304 =======================
305 4. Gentoo International
306 =======================
307
308 Belgium: Gentoo Developer Meeting at FOSDEM (
309 ---------------------------------------------
310
311 Gentoo will again be present at FOSDEM[24] in Brussels, the annual
312 non-commercial Free and Open Source Software Developers' European Meeting.
313 It will take place at the Université Libre de Bruxelles[25] on the
314 weekend of 26 and 27 February. The Gentoo community will be represented by
315 more than 25 developers from Belgium, the Netherlands, France, Germany,
316 Denmark, Spain, Italy, and even the U.S. This time we have our own
317 Developers' Room[26], an amphitheatre with 59 seats, open on Saturday and
318 Sunday.
319 24. http://www.fosdem.org/
320 25. http://www.ulb.be/
321 26. http://www.fosdem.org/2005/index/dev_room_gentoo
322
323 A full schedule of presentations[27] has been set up by Gentoo's Fosdem
324 organizer for the Developers' room, Lars Weiler[28]. In addition to this,
325 one of Gentoo's portage developers, Marius Mauch[29], will give a
326 presentation about portage as part Fosdem's main track.
327 27. http://dev.gentoo.org/~pylon/fosdem-2005.html
328 28. pylon@g.o
329 29. http://www.fosdem.org/2005/index/speakers/speakers_mauch
330
331 As usual we will also show hardware which is supported by Gentoo, like
332 Genesi's[30] PegasosPPC, an UltraSparc and an SGI Octane. Several MacMinis
333 are also expected to get thrown in the mix. Gentoo LiveCDs will be
334 available for purchase at FOSDEM.
335 30. http://www.genesi.lu/
336
337 USA: CPLUG Security Conference (5 March)
338 ----------------------------------------
339
340 Central PA Linux Users Group[31] will be hosting a Security Conference[32]
341 at Messiah College near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, on 5 March 2005. The
342 all-day event will feature several speakers covering topics with a
343 technical focus on Linux-related networking and security, including Gentoo
344 Hardened developer Brandon Hale[33] who will make a presentation on
345 "Advanced Memory Protections with Linux". Registrations have already
346 started and accomodation is provided by the organizers upon request.
347 Admission to the event is $5 USD, including lunch.
348 31. http://cplug.net/
349 32. http://cplug.net/conference
350 33. zhen@g.o
351
352 ======================
353 5. Gentoo in the press
354 ======================
355
356 Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2004
357 --------------------------------------
358
359 Gentoos are "busily coming and going, squabbling and fighting, raucously
360 greeting each other," and - before you start thinking we're reporting from
361 a developer conference here - "stealing stones from their neighbours'
362 nests." Nah, we'd never do that, of course. Swedish photographer Lars-Olof
363 Johansson received a "Highly commended" mention at the BBC Wildlife
364 Magazine's and The Natural History Museum's "Wildlife Photographer of the
365 Year" contest, for his extraordinarily intimateshot of two Gentoo chicks
366 and their mother[34]. Disclaimer: We don't do that, either...
367 34.
368 http://internt.nhm.ac.uk/jdsml/wildwin/2004/ad_picnumb.dsml?catdescrip2=abb&posdescrip2=hc&picnumb=24
369
370 ===========
371 6. Bugzilla
372 ===========
373
374 Summary
375 -------
376
377 * Statistics
378 * Closed bug ranking
379 * New bug rankings
380
381 Statistics
382 ----------
383
384 The Gentoo community uses Bugzilla (bugs.gentoo.org[35]) to record and
385 track bugs, notifications, suggestions and other interactions with the
386 development team. Between 16 January 2005 and 23 January 2005, activity on
387 the site has resulted in:
388 35. http://bugs.gentoo.org
389
390 * 990 new bugs during this period
391 * 546 bugs closed or resolved during this period
392 * 35 previously closed bugs were reopened this period
393
394 Of the 7976 currently open bugs: 109 are labeled 'blocker', 230 are
395 labeled 'critical', and 593 are labeled 'major'.
396
397 Closed bug rankings
398 -------------------
399
400 The developers and teams who have closed the most bugs during this period
401 are:
402
403 * Gentoo KDE team[36], with 41 closed bugs[37]
404 * OpenOffice Team[38], with 27 closed bugs[39]
405 * Gentoo Games[40], with 26 closed bugs[41]
406 * AMD64 Porting Team[42], with 21 closed bugs[43]
407 * Vim Maintainers[44], with 20 closed bugs[45]
408 * Java team[46], with 20 closed bugs[47]
409 * media-video herd[48], with 19 closed bugs[49]
410 * Gentoo's Team for Core System packages[50], with 17 closed bugs[51]
411 36. kde@g.o
412 37.
413 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-01-16&chfieldto=2005-01-23&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=kde@g.o
414 38. openoffice@g.o
415 39.
416 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-01-16&chfieldto=2005-01-23&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=openoffice@g.o
417 40. games@g.o
418 41.
419 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-01-16&chfieldto=2005-01-23&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=games@g.o
420 42. amd64@g.o
421 43.
422 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-01-16&chfieldto=2005-01-23&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=amd64@g.o
423 44. vim@g.o
424 45.
425 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-01-16&chfieldto=2005-01-23&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=vim@g.o
426 46. java@g.o
427 47.
428 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-01-16&chfieldto=2005-01-23&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=java@g.o
429 48. media-video@g.o
430 49.
431 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-01-16&chfieldto=2005-01-23&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=media-video@g.o
432 50. base-system@g.o
433 51.
434 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-01-16&chfieldto=2005-01-23&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=base-system@g.o
435
436 New bug rankings
437 ----------------
438
439 The developers and teams who have been assigned the most new bugs during
440 this period are:
441
442 * Gentoo Sound Team[52], with 17 new bugs[53]
443 * Gentoo Linux Gnome Desktop Team[54], with 17 new bugs[55]
444 * Gentoo X-windows packagers[56], with 16 new bugs[57]
445 * Gentoo's Team for Core System packages[58], with 14 new bugs[59]
446 * Gentoo Kernel Bug Wranglers and Kernel Maintainers[60], with 13 new
447 bugs[61]
448 * AMD64 Porting Team[62], with 13 new bugs[63]
449 * Gentoo KDE team[64], with 12 new bugs[65]
450 * media-video herd[66], with 11 new bugs[67]
451 52. sound@g.o
452 53.
453 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-01-16&chfieldto=2005-01-23&assigned_to=sound@g.o
454 54. gnome@g.o
455 55.
456 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-01-16&chfieldto=2005-01-23&assigned_to=gnome@g.o
457 56. x11@g.o
458 57.
459 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-01-16&chfieldto=2005-01-23&assigned_to=x11@g.o
460 58. base-system@g.o
461 59.
462 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-01-16&chfieldto=2005-01-23&assigned_to=base-system@g.o
463 60. kernel@g.o
464 61.
465 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-01-16&chfieldto=2005-01-23&assigned_to=kernel@g.o
466 62. amd64@g.o
467 63.
468 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-01-16&chfieldto=2005-01-23&assigned_to=amd64@g.o
469 64. kde@g.o
470 65.
471 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-01-16&chfieldto=2005-01-23&assigned_to=kde@g.o
472 66. media-video@g.o
473 67.
474 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-01-16&chfieldto=2005-01-23&assigned_to=media-video@g.o
475
476 ==================
477 7. Tips and Tricks
478 ==================
479
480 Watching logfiles on your desktop: root-tail
481 --------------------------------------------
482
483 A good sysadmin should be able to take care of what's going on his system
484 at any time. To keep up with what's going on it would be best to see the
485 logfiles just scrolling by on the desktop, but most utilities, like tail
486 -f, cannot handle more than one file at a time. Moreover, it's a little
487 tricky to configure a terminal so that it becomes borderless and
488 transparent.
489
490 Enter x11-terms/root-tail[68]. This handy utility opens a window on your
491 desktop and lets you look at any given logfile's entries as they're made.
492 There is only one problem: Most modern Window Managers occupy the desktop
493 and show a background-image on it. But there are workarounds, and one (for
494 xfce4) is shown here:
495 68. http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=root-tail
496
497 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
498 | Code Listing 7.1: |
499 |Script for starting root-tail in |
500 xfce4----------------------------------------------------------------------
501 ---
502 | |
503 |#!/bin/bash |
504 |deskid=`xwininfo -int -name 'Desktop' | grep 'Desktop' | awk -F' ' '{ |
505 print $4 }';`
506 |root-tail -g 900x150+50+575 -font 6x10 -outline -minspace -id ${deskid} |
507 -f \
508 | /var/log/emerge.log,yellow \ |
509 | /var/log/messages,lightblue |
510 | |
511 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
512
513 This script will find out the PID of xfce4's desktop-process, then
514 forkroot-tail into the background with a given size, place and font upon
515 the desktop where the ID is now known, and will show two logfiles,
516 printing messages in different colours. Bear in mind that if you are using
517 a localized environemnt, Desktop could be named differently, of course.
518
519 ===========================
520 8. Moves, adds, and changes
521 ===========================
522
523 Moves
524 -----
525
526 The following developers recently left the Gentoo team:
527
528 * None this week
529
530 Adds
531 ----
532
533 The following developers recently joined the Gentoo Linux team:
534
535 * Fernando J. Pereda (ferdy) - net-mail
536
537 Changes
538 -------
539
540 The following developers recently changed roles within the Gentoo Linux
541 project:
542
543 * None this week
544
545 ====================
546 9. Contribute to GWN
547 ====================
548
549 Interested in contributing to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter? Send us an
550 email[69].
551 69. gwn-feedback@g.o
552
553 ================
554 10. GWN feedback
555 ================
556
557 Please send us your feedback[70] and help make the GWN better.
558 70. gwn-feedback@g.o
559
560 ================================
561 11. GWN subscription information
562 ================================
563
564 To subscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank email to
565 gentoo-gwn-subscribe@g.o.
566
567 To unsubscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank email to
568 gentoo-gwn-unsubscribe@g.o from the email address you are
569 subscribed under.
570
571 ===================
572 12. Other languages
573 ===================
574
575 The Gentoo Weekly Newsletter is also available in the following languages:
576
577 * Danish[71]
578 * Dutch[72]
579 * English[73]