From: Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o>
To: gentoo-gwn@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-gwn] Gentoo Weekly Newsletter 1 August 2005
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 00:35:10
1 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
3 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/current.xml
4 This is the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter for the week of 1 August 2005.
5 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
6
7 ==============
8 1. Gentoo News
9 ==============
10
11 Gentoo Developer Conference in San Francisco
12 --------------------------------------------
13
14 A full day Developer (and User) Conference will be held in conjunction
15 with LinuxWorld Expo 2005[1] in San Francisco on August 12th. The
16 conference will feature presentations from members of the development
17 team, as well as time for bug squashing, chit-chat, and key signing. If
18 you will be in the bay area, seats are still available and advance
19 registration is $10. Lunch will be included in the conference, along with
20 a conference T-shirt. For those who can not make it in person, the event
21 will be webcast.
22
23 1. http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/events/12SFO05A
24
25 More information can be found at http://devconference.gentoo.org[2]
26
27 2. http://devconference.gentoo.org/
28
29 The event is sponsored by Global Netoptex Inc., a long time supporter of
30 Gentoo's core infrastructure, and Indiana University, who will be
31 providing webcast capabilities for the event.
32
33 Wanted: Translators for German documentation
34 --------------------------------------------
35
36 The German translation team is looking for new translators. According to
37 our webstats the German docs are the most read after its original language
38 English. So they should be updated as good as possible, but unfortunately
39 some of them are already badly outdated. For updating the translations
40 some more helping hands and brains are needed. If you are good in English
41 and German and want to help out, please send an email to the German lead
42 translator Tobias Scherbaum[3].
43
44 3. dertobi123@g.o
45
46 ======================================================================
47 2. Gentoo Stories: Full success for the monthly Bugday since two years
48 ======================================================================
49
50 Bugday[4] developers Bryan Østergaard[5] and Scott Shawcroft[6] sent us an
51 article about the monthly Gentoo Bugday. This covers the success during
52 the last two years, shows some nice numbers and will give you a look into
53 the future for the Bugday.
54
55 4. http://bugday.gentoo.org/
56 5. kloeri@g.o
57 6. tannewt@g.o
58
59 Second Bugday anniversary!
60 --------------------------
61
62 August 6th, 2005 marks another exciting milestone for the Gentoo Bugday
63 project - a very successful project that helps bring the community a bit
64 closer.
65
66 A trip down memory lane…
67 ------------------------
68
69 It all started as an idea by Gentoo Developer Brian Jackson[7] a little
70 more than two years ago. Digging in various mailing lists the first traces
71 seems to be from around July 2003 when Brian posted a request for comments
72 to the gentoo-dev mailing-list on GLEP 6[8]. The thread can be read at in
73 the gmane archive[9]. Everybody seemed to like the idea and the GLEP was
74 accepted in record time - it took less than a month from submitting the
75 GLEP to getting it accepted.
76
77 7. iggy@g.o
78 8. http://glep.gentoo.org/glep-0006.html
79 9. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/9880
80
81 The very first Gentoo Bugday was held on August 2, 2003 and was quite
82 successful in many ways. Lots of bugs were fixed and several new devs were
83 recruited.
84
85 When Brian Jackson took a brief break as a Gentoo Developer, Bryan
86 Østergaard took over coordinating Bugday activities and have been in
87 charge of Bugday since May 2004.
88
89 The next big chance came in September 2004 with the grand opening of
90 http://bugday.gentoo.org[10]. The website was mostly implemented by Bjarke
91 Istrup Pedersen[11] and looked almost exactly like it does today.
92
93 10. http://bugday.gentoo.org/
94 11. gurligebis@g.o
95
96 Bugday in numbers
97 -----------------
98
99 Figuring out how many bugs are squashed due to Bugday is probably
100 impossible but there's some interesting (or at least amusing numbers) to
101 be gained from bugzilla. Asking bugzilla how many bugs (in a closed state)
102 were changed during every Bugday so far, we will get a few (not very
103 scientific) statistics:
104
105 Most bugs closed during one Bugday period: 344 (feb 2005) Least bugs
106 closed: 124 (aug 2003) Average bugs closed per Bugday: 229 Average bugs
107 closed in 2003: 173 Average bugs closed in 2004: 226 Average bugs closed
108 in 2005: 274 Developers recruited from participating in Bugday: 15+
109
110 Looking forward
111 ---------------
112
113 Fast forwarding to summer 2005 Bryan slowly realised that he needed some
114 help if he wanted to take Bugday any further. So he recruited Scott
115 Shawcroft[12] and Bjarke Istrup Pedersen[13] to help with a few of Bryan's
116 ideas. Fortunately they have a few ideas of their own as well!
117
118 12. tannewt@g.o
119 13. gurligebis@g.o
120
121 One of the main goals of holding Bugdays is to build the community while
122 solving bugs. In its current state Bugday participation is limited. With
123 some changes we hope to increase involvement, build the community and
124 groom new developers. Some of the changes we plan on implementing include
125 a from-scratch rebuild of the website and an IRC interface to the new site.
126
127 Our goal with the new website is to provide more direction for Bugday
128 participants and allowing a greater degree of participation. One way we
129 are going to do that is by classifying bugs by level of difficulty and the
130 coding-language requirements of bugs. This should allow users to filter
131 bugs by their own skill level.
132
133 In addition to bug classification we are also going to provide a bug
134 voting interface. In short, it will allow users to vote for their favorite
135 bug(s) and thus (hopefully) increase the chance that somebody submits a
136 fix for that bug. We hope this will get some of the more annoying bugs
137 fixed quickly as it should be evident which bugs people want the most to
138 get fixed. It's important to note that this 'bug voting' feature will only
139 be implemented on the Bugday website[14].
140
141 14. http://bugday.gentoo.org
142
143 We hope some of the planned website features will be ready by September
144 and would appreciate all comments, suggestions and questions regarding
145 current and upcoming Bugdays.
146
147 Join us on irc.freenode.net at #gentoo-bugs[15] and check out the website
148 at http://bugday.gentoo.org[16].
149
150 15. irc://irc.freenode.net/gentoo-bugs
151 16. http://bugday.gentoo.org/
152
153 Remember, everyone is invited to celebrate both the two year anniversary
154 and a new beginning for Bugdays on the upcoming Saturday!
155
156 =======================================================
157 3. User Stories: Interview with George K. Thiruvathukal
158 =======================================================
159
160 This time in featured Gentoo User Stories we present you George K.
161 Thiruvathukal, professor of computer science at Loyola University Chicago.
162 Gentoo Developer Patrick Lauer[17] did the interview which has been
163 arranged with the help of Gentoo Developer Mike Doty[18]:
164
165 17. patrick@g.o
166 18. kingtaco@g.o
167
168 Tell us about you. Who are you, where do you work?
169
170 ”I'm a professor of computer science at Loyola University Chicago. We're
171 based in…ehem…Chicago, IL USA.“
172
173 What is your job? What computer-related tasks does that involve?
174
175 ”Professor and Graduate Program Director. I'm also the de facto director
176 of computer systems who has a lab manager, Miao Ye, working with me on
177 Linux and open source stuff. Because my research is in parallel and
178 distributed systems, I basically have spent about one third of my life as
179 a sysadmin/hacker.“
180
181 When did you discover Linux? When Gentoo? What convinced you of Gentoo?
182
183 ”I discovered Linux in 1991. I was working in a company while completing
184 my Ph.D. studies here in Chicago. A colleague of mine and I installed one
185 of Linus' early kernels and were hooked ever since. I started using Gentoo
186 a couple of years ago at the steadfast insistence of one of my students,
187 Sean McGuire. I had already realized (Sean just pushed me over the edge!!)
188 that most of the other distros, while nicely packaged in some cases, were
189 not using a good foundational approach that made it easy to build
190 everything from source and keep packages up-to-date. Worse, the other
191 approaches were fundamentally limited for my work in high-performance
192 computing, which depends on being able to squeeze every last drop of
193 performance when absolutely required. I was particularly with Gentoo's
194 ability to compile both kernel and packages easily for the processor
195 (family) of interest.
196
197 At present, two small computing clusters are running Gentoo exclusively.
198 Mike Doty (KingTaco) and I are working on a completely PXE/netbooted
199 setup, which should be deployed within the next few weeks.“
200
201 On what machines have you deployed Gentoo? What are your plans for the
202 future?
203
204 ”Everything Linux in our department is running Gentoo—even our Linux lab
205 machines. We have a transparent setup that uses OpenLDAP as the
206 authentication strategy, large-scale storage running on Dell PowerEdge
207 servers (yes, we got Gentoo working on them with some minor pain/suffering
208 along the way.) and several home built servers for e-mail and web access.
209
210 My future plan—a dream at this point—is to have a 1000+ 64-bit system
211 running Gentoo. :-) Think big!“
212
213 How do you handle updates etc.?
214
215 ”Eek, I knew you would ask me a tough question. Well, at present, we sync
216 metadata automatically on most critical servers at least once a month.
217 With system/world updates, we do tend to exercise caution on critical
218 systems, and limit updates to once every 3-6 months. With more
219 experimental machines (ok, our clusters) we update early/often. As we're
220 now going to more of a netbooted setup, we can prepare the image (more or
221 less once) and then just reboot machines to absorb the updates.
222
223 Obviously, updating /etc files is one of my minor gripes with Gentoo, but
224 I am seeing this as an opportunity to help the Gentoo team in the future.
225 As I do a ton of work with Python and XML, I have in mind a tool that, I
226 think, will make /etc maintenance a little less troublesome and
227 error-prone.“
228
229 In general, what problems did you encounter? Where does Linux (and Gentoo
230 in general) have advantages?
231
232 ”In general, we've encountered few problems. I feel particularly blessed
233 that I still have good hacking/coding instincts as I am now in my late
234 30's and trying to keep up with all you crazy 20-somethings. I'm also
235 blessed to have had talented folks like Mike and Sean around to help with
236 certain kernel and desktop matters.“
237
238 Where does Linux fail? What (solution|deployment|hack) are you most proud
239 of?
240
241 ”I'm most proud of our LDAP setup. The Gentoo documentation at the time
242 more or less said it couldn't be done, and I was able to get it
243 working—and securely, to boot. There were some broken ACLs that I was able
244 to fix and demonstrate are working properly. We now use it for many of our
245 systems within the department.
246
247 I'm also proud of the work I've done with my colleague, Prof. Konstantin
248 Läufer, which amounts to having built our own "hosting" service within the
249 department. We are able to do v-hosting of various community/academic
250 portals within our department, which includes e-mail, web, and content
251 management via Plone. All of it works entirely on Gentoo, better yet.“
252
253 I heard that you made some computers available for Gentoo development -
254 what convinced you to do this? What hardware? What do you get in return?
255
256 ”Well, a big part of my university is an emphasis on service to others.
257 It's our great honor to repurpose the Sun E250 hardware for Gentoo
258 development purposes. We hope that one day students who want to study
259 about open source technologies will consider our department as a good
260 choice. Not only do we teach about open source in many of our classes, we
261 actually use it!“
262
263 How are the responses from others when they hear that you are using Gentoo
264 on "critical" systems? How do you see the OpenSource / commercial software
265 split? Any reasons to (not) use OpenSource?
266
267 ”Well, most people assumed I was insane to begin with, so the responses
268 are about the same. :-) My view is that you are at risk regardless of what
269 you use for critical systems. If you don't keep software up-to-date, keep
270 track of key security advisories, or don't employ best practices, can you
271 really say that you are committed to "mission critical" results?
272
273 Our view is that critical systems also require the best hardware. In
274 reality, the OS is only as good as what it's running on. For critical
275 systems, we use high-end hardware with strong processor, memory, and I/O
276 performance. I've seen no evidence that Gentoo is any more or less secure
277 than the others. Seemingly, the folks at Gentoo think security is
278 important, judging by the weekly updates mentioned in the newsletter. Are
279 all of the other distributions doing the same thing to keep their users
280 informed?
281
282 We don't discriminate against commercial software. However, in a time
283 where budgets are tight, there needs to be a case that commercial software
284 is worth the trouble. Also, I wish to point out that students get plenty
285 of support for the commercial alternatives (and way of thinking) from our
286 IS department, which provides ample support for the Windows desktop. Our
287 CS department also has a membership in the MSDN Academic Alliance so our
288 students can choose to learn about open source or commercial technologies.
289 We're not ideologues but think our students should learn about open source
290 as part of a CS education.“
291
292 What are your experiences with support? What makes Gentoo good, what makes
293 it difficult? What (dis)advantages would a commercial distribution like
294 RedHat or SuSE offer?
295
296 ”Gentoo does need to rethink a few things:
297
298 1. Syncing metadata is beginning to take too long. This isn't a big deal
299 when there is one system, but it's a big deal when there are many. There
300 should be a clear/documented way to sync one "master" copy, which can be
301 used to perform local syncs.
302
303 2. The /etc updating problem is a serious one for servers. I have a
304 workaround but often find myself having to check manually to ensure key
305 /etc files (e.g. conf.d/net, fstab, and modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6)
306 don't get broken.“
307
308 Thank you for the interview.
309
310 =========================
311 4. Heard in the community
312 =========================
313
314 gentoo-dev
315 ----------
316
317 Hold on portage feature requests
318
319 Portage developer Jason Stubbs[19] let us know, that the portage-dev-team
320 does not accept or include any new feature requests until further notice.
321 Currently there are more than 300 feature requests which hold back
322 critical portage-fixing. More portage-developers are welcome!
323
324 19. jstubbs@g.o
325
326 * Hold on portage feature requests[20]
327 20. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/30042
330 News on PHP5 support on Gentoo
331
332 Stuart Herbert [21], Developer for webapps and PHP, summed up the
333 situation with PHP-support in Gentoo and the situation with PHP5. If you
334 are interested in PHP5 and want to help with testing, you should read
335 Stuart's announcement.
336
337 21. stuart@g.o
338
339 * News on PHP5 support on Gentoo[22]
340 22. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/30050
343 Using the ChangeLog as a pre-emerge notice
344
345 Gentoo-User Alec Warner asked for the possibility to use the ChangeLogs as
346 a kind of pre-emerge notice with critical changes to the package, as you
347 can list them simply with emerge -l <package>.
348
349 * Changelogs[23]
350 23. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/30017
353 =======================
354 5. Gentoo International
355 =======================
356
357 USA: LinuxWorld Conference & Expo in San Francisco
358 --------------------------------------------------
359
360 Like every year there will be the LWE SF[24] in the Moscone Center, this
361 time from August 8 until 11. And like the last years, Gentoo will be
362 present again with a booth. It's not large, but suitable enough for an x86
363 and ppc demo and some give-aways.
364
365 24. http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/events/12SFO05A
366
367 If you happen to be registering for an "Exhibit Hall" badge for the
368 upcoming LinuxWorld Expo in San Francisco, use priority code N0339 to let
369 them know that you're coming to support Gentoo!
370
371 Germany: Two regional Gentoo User Meetings
372 ------------------------------------------
373
374 On Thursday August 4, there will be a meeting of the
375 Cologne/Bonn-community[25]. But neither in Cologne nor in Bonn they will
376 meet in an all-you-can-eat Chinese Restaurant in Siegburg.
377
378 25. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=40510
379
380 The next day, Friday August 5, the well-known Ruhrpott-community[26] meets
381 in Oberhausen. With nine Gentoo Developers (and another nine Users)
382 attending the last meeting it was probably the biggest Developer-meeting
383 outside larger events like fairs!
384
385 26. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=94915
386
387 ======================
388 6. Gentoo in the press
389 ======================
390
391 ”Best practices for portable patches“
392 -----------------------------------------
393
394 Gentoo Developer Diego Pettenò[27] wrote an article on ”Best practices for
395 portable patches“[28], based mostly on his experience as a Gentoo package
396 maintainer and the Gentoo/BSD port. It offers a nice overview of common
397 problems and how to prevent them, which is especially important for Gentoo
398 as it runs on many different processor architectures.
399
400 27. flameeyes@g.o
401 28. http://programming.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/07/19/1713230
402
403 Gentoo Linux Security Audit Team discovers MySQL flaw
404 -----------------------------------------------------
405
406 A critical MySQL flaw due to a bug with zlib[29] has been found by Gentoo
407 Linux Security Audit Team member Tavis Ormandy[30].
408
409 29. http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1840084,00.asp
410 30. taviso@g.o
411
412 ==================
413 7. Tips and Tricks
414 ==================
415
416 Catching emerge messages with enotice
417 -------------------------------------
418
419 Note: Gentoo's Tips and Tricks is not responsible for breaks on your
420 system, although we test the printed Tips and Tricks. The online version
421 should be preferred over the email version, as it may contain updates.
422
423 One thing portage is lacking for a long time is catching all the notices
424 and warnings during compilation, so that you know what changed during your
425 latest nightly update. You know the bugs where something isn't working any
426 more since the latest update, just because you didn't read the warning
427 that scrolled up the screen while you didn't watched the compile-process?
428 Here is a solution: enotice!
429
430 enotice is a tiny script from Gentoo Developer Eldad Zack[31] and has been
431 updated by Lindsay Haisley. For installation you should download Thomas
432 Bullinger's enotice installation script[32]. After downloading, call the
433 script:
434
435 31. http://dev.gentoo.org/~eldad/
436 32. http://dev.gentoo.org/~eldad/enotice/install-enotice.sh
437
438 +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
439 | Code Listing 7.1: |
440 | Install enotice |
441 +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
442 | |
443 |# sh install-enotice.sh |
444 | |
445 +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
446
447 This script downloads and copies enotice to /usr/local/sbin/. It also adds
448 the variable PORT_ENOTICE_DIR to your /etc/make.conf.
449
450 Now, after your nightly update you can just call enotice, which gives you
451 a nice list of notices and a self-explanatory menu. Usually only warnings
452 will be shown, but you can change the level in order to show also further
453 notices.
454
455 Finally the GWN team heard rumours that something like enotice will be
456 included into the next big version of portage…
457
458 ===========================
459 8. Moves, adds, and changes
460 ===========================
461
462 Moves
463 -----
464
465 The following developers recently left the Gentoo team:
466
467 * None this week
468
469 Adds
470 ----
471
472 The following developers recently joined the Gentoo Linux team:
473
474 * New developer: Petteri Räty (Betelgeuse) (Java)
475 * New developer: Fabian Groffen (grobian) (Gentoo/MacOS)
476 * New developer: Jeff Walter (JeffW) (x86 Cobalt RAQ kernels)
477 * New documentation staff: Jan Kundrát (jkt) (Czech translation)
478 * New forums staff: Ioannis Aslanidis (deathwing00) (Greek forums)
479
480 Changes
481 -------
482
483 The following developers recently changed roles within the Gentoo Linux
484 project:
485
486 * None this week
487
488 ==================
489 9. Gentoo security
490 ==================
491
492 fetchmail: Buffer Overflow
493 --------------------------
494
495 fetchmail is susceptible to a buffer overflow resulting in a Denial of
496 Service or arbitrary code execution.
497
498 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[33]
499
500 33. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200507-21.xml
501
502 sandbox: Insecure temporary file handling
503 -----------------------------------------
504
505 The sandbox utility may create temporary files in an insecure manner.
506
507 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[34]
508
509 34. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200507-22.xml
510
511 Kopete: Vulnerability in included Gadu library
512 ----------------------------------------------
513
514 Kopete is vulnerable to several input validation vulnerabilities which may
515 lead to execution of arbitrary code.
516
517 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[35]
518
519 35. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200507-23.xml
520
521 Mozilla Suite: Multiple vulnerabilities
522 ---------------------------------------
523
524 Several vulnerabilities in the Mozilla Suite allow attacks ranging from
525 the execution of javascript code with elevated privileges to information
526 leakage.
527
528 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[36]
529
530 36. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200507-24.xml
531
532 Clam AntiVirus: Integer overflows
533 ---------------------------------
534
535 Clam AntiVirus is vulnerable to integer overflows when handling several
536 file formats, potentially resulting in the execution of arbitrary code.
537
538 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[37]
539
540 37. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200507-25.xml
541
542 GNU Gadu, CenterICQ, Kadu, EKG, libgadu: Remote code execution in Gadu
543 library
544 -------
545
546 GNU Gadu, CenterICQ, Kadu, EKG and libgadu are vulnerable to an integer
547 overflow which could potentially lead to the execution of arbitrary code
548 or a Denial of Service.
549
550 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[38]
551
552 38. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200507-26.xml
553
554 Ethereal: Multiple vulnerabilities
555 ----------------------------------
556
557 Ethereal is vulnerable to numerous vulnerabilities potentially resulting
558 in the execution of arbitrary code or abnormal termination.
559
560 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[39]
561
562 39. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200507-27.xml
563
564 AMD64 x86 emulation base libraries: Buffer overflow
565 ---------------------------------------------------
566
567 The x86 emulation base libraries for AMD64 contain a vulnerable version of
568 zlib which could potentially lead to execution of arbitrary code.
569
570 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[40]
571
572 40. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200507-28.xml
573
574 pstotext: Remote execution of arbitrary code
575 --------------------------------------------
576
577 pstotext contains a vulnerability which can potentially result in the
578 execution of arbitrary code.
579
580 For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[41]
581
582 41. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200507-29.xml
583
584 ============
585 10. Bugzilla
586 ============
587
588 Summary
589 -------
590
591 * Statistics
592 * Closed bug ranking
593 * New bug rankings
594
595 Statistics
596 ----------
597
598 The Gentoo community uses Bugzilla (bugs.gentoo.org[42]) to record and
599 track bugs, notifications, suggestions and other interactions with the
600 development team. Between 23 July 2005 and 30 July 2005, activity on the
601 site has resulted in:
602
603 42. http://bugs.gentoo.org
604
605 * 792 new bugs during this period
606 * 416 bugs closed or resolved during this period
607 * 23 previously closed bugs were reopened this period
608
609 Of the 8027 currently open bugs: 111 are labeled 'blocker', 195 are
610 labeled 'critical', and 538 are labeled 'major'.
611
612 Closed bug rankings
613 -------------------
614
615 The developers and teams who have closed the most bugs during this period
616 are:
617
618 * AMD64 Porting Team[43], with 26 closed bugs[44]
619 * Gentoo Security[45], with 20 closed bugs[46]
620 * Xavier Neys[47], with 20 closed bugs[48]
621 * Mozilla Gentoo Team[49], with 16 closed bugs[50]
622 * Gentoo Games[51], with 16 closed bugs[52]
623 * Gentoo KDE team[53], with 15 closed bugs[54]
624 * Sergey Kuleshov[55], with 13 closed bugs[56]
625 * Default Assignee for Orphaned Packages[57], with 12 closed bugs[58]
626 43. amd64@g.o
627 44. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-07-23&chfieldto=2005-07-30&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=amd64@g.o
628 45. security@g.o
629 46. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-07-23&chfieldto=2005-07-30&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=security@g.o
630 47. neysx@g.o
631 48. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-07-23&chfieldto=2005-07-30&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=neysx@g.o
632 49. mozilla@g.o
633 50. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-07-23&chfieldto=2005-07-30&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=mozilla@g.o
634 51. games@g.o
635 52. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-07-23&chfieldto=2005-07-30&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=games@g.o
636 53. kde@g.o
637 54. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-07-23&chfieldto=2005-07-30&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=kde@g.o
638 55. svyatogor@g.o
639 56. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-07-23&chfieldto=2005-07-30&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=svyatogor@g.o
640 57. maintainer-needed@g.o
641 58. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2005-07-23&chfieldto=2005-07-30&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=maintainer-needed@g.o
644 New bug rankings
645 ----------------
646
647 The developers and teams who have been assigned the most new bugs during
648 this period are:
649
650 * Default Assignee for New Packages[59], with 76 new bugs[60]
651 * Default Assignee for Orphaned Packages[61], with 17 new bugs[62]
652 * Stefaan De Roeck[63], with 16 new bugs[64]
653 * Mozilla Gentoo Team[65], with 12 new bugs[66]
654 * Gentoo Toolchain Maintainers[67], with 11 new bugs[68]
655 * Gentoo Sound Team[69], with 11 new bugs[70]
656 * Gentoo Linux Gnome Desktop Team[71], with 9 new bugs[72]
657 * Gentoo Science Related Packages[73], with 8 new bugs[74]
658 59. maintainer-wanted@g.o
659 60. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-07-23&chfieldto=2005-07-30&assigned_to=maintainer-wanted@g.o
660 61. maintainer-needed@g.o
661 62. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-07-23&chfieldto=2005-07-30&assigned_to=maintainer-needed@g.o
662 63. stefaan.deroeck@×××××.com
663 64. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-07-23&chfieldto=2005-07-30&assigned_to=stefaan.deroeck@×××××.com
664 65. mozilla@g.o
665 66. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-07-23&chfieldto=2005-07-30&assigned_to=mozilla@g.o
666 67. toolchain@g.o
667 68. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-07-23&chfieldto=2005-07-30&assigned_to=toolchain@g.o
668 69. sound@g.o
669 70. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-07-23&chfieldto=2005-07-30&assigned_to=sound@g.o
670 71. gnome@g.o
671 72. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-07-23&chfieldto=2005-07-30&assigned_to=gnome@g.o
672 73. sci@g.o
673 74. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2005-07-23&chfieldto=2005-07-30&assigned_to=sci@g.o
676 ================
677 11. GWN feedback
678 ================
679
680 Please send us your feedback[75] and help make the GWN better.
681
682 75. gwn-feedback@g.o
683
684 ================================
685 12. GWN subscription information
686 ================================
687
688 To subscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank email to
689 gentoo-gwn+subscribe@g.o.
690
691 To unsubscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank email to
692 gentoo-gwn+unsubscribe@g.o from the email address you are
693 subscribed under.
694
695 ===================
696 13. Other languages
697 ===================
698
699 The Gentoo Weekly Newsletter is also available in the following languages:
700
701 * Danish[76]
702 * Dutch[77]
703 * English[78]