From: Yuji Carlos Kosugi <carlos@g.o>
To: gentoo-gwn@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-gwn] Gentoo Weekly Newsletter -- Volume 2, Issue 44
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 06:04:59
Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
This is the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter for the week of November 3rd, 2003.
1. Gentoo News
 * Embedded Gentoo seeking interested developers
Embedded Gentoo seeking interested developers
A group of Gentoo developers comprising Chris PeBenito[1], Arun Thomas[2],
Ned Ludd[3], and Abhishek Amit[4] are looking for people interested in
helping get Embedded Gentoo restarted. They've restarted the
#gentoo-embedded channel and a proposal has been submitted, but some
planning needs to be done before any projects are started. Send one of
them an email if you want to help out, or post to the thread[5] on
gentoo-dev if you have any ideas.

 1. pebenito@g.o
 2. sindian@g.o
 3. solar@g.o
 4. andrd@g.o
2. Featured Developer of the Week
Patrick Kursawe
Figure 2.1: Patrick Kursawe
This week's featured developer is Patrick Kursawe[6] (phosphan), a
frequent contributer and maintainer of ebuilds. When he has time, he also
provides general bug-squashing services in the sci (scientific) and video

 6. phosphan@g.o
Patrick grew up in Essen, Germany and now lives, works and goes to school
in Bochum. He works for the Computing Centre of the Ruhr-Universit辰t
Bochum, where he is currently a doctoral candidate in Analytical
Chemistry. In fact, Patrick is scheduled to complete his studies in
December, which accounts for his lack of significant time to devote to
Gentoo just at the moment. He lives with his companion-in-life Natalia and
enjoys the aquatic pursuits of canoeing, sailing, scuba diving and
snorkeling. On land, he is an avid reader and fan of standard and latin
dancing, as well as studying Aikido. He reflects that, despite being a
professional and hobbyist user, "there's more to life than computers, even
if they're running Gentoo Linux".
The saga of Patrick's elevation to developer status is entirely documented
in Bug 17019[7], and was summarized by him with the observation that
"after a half a dozen or so ebuilds stuffed into bugzilla they maybe
thought it was less trouble if they gave me CVS access". Patrick first
tried Gentoo on a test server after reading about the distro in the spring
of 2002, and within a few months he had converted four other computers to
Gentoo, saving only a lonely SuSE box to serve a reference platform. This
was a fairly substantial shift for someone who had been a dedicated SuSE
user for the five years previous, and reflects his thoughts on Gentoo: "if
you don't think one size fits all, you should give it a try."

Patrick is a Windowmaker user, and lists as his favorite applications (in
no particular order): mutt, vim, knews, mozilla, apache, kvoctrain, cups,
perl and gcc. When asked what application he first launches on startup,
Patrick responded "init". The author declines to comment on the sort of
sense of humour that represents.
3. Gentoo Security
Gentoo Security is on hiatus this week.
4. Heard in the Community
Web Forums
Gentoo-related Jobs Forum Created
It's not as if the other forum categories had been crumbling under the
onslaught of job advertisements recently, but the Forum administrators,
anticipating the future popularity of this particular type of postings,
have now set up a forum for job offers directly related to Gentoo Linux.
If you have jobs for developers in the field of Gentoo Linux available, do
post a short message to this forum (after a good, long look at its very
specific guidelines):
 * Gentoo Related Jobs Forum[8]
 * Guidelines (Read before posting)[9]
Centrino WLAN Chip Support in Linux
One of the main reasons for people staying away from laptops and notebooks
using Intel's Centrino technology used to be the lack of Linux support for
the wireless LAN mini-PCI card included in that platform. While Intel
seems to be indifferent about it, Linuxant[10] (of Linmodem fame) has
released commercial NDIS-driver wrappers for this and other hardware
drivers in the open so that Linux users can actually benefit from the
hardware features they bought with their portable PC, by using the Windows
drivers inside their Linux configurations. Check this thread for a
discussion of both Linuxant's and Intel's attitudes, and user experiences
with Linuxant's drivers:

 * centrino/intel wlan works using linuxant driverloader![11]
 * Linuxant driverloader website[12]
Desktops and Windows
While the first KDE 3.2 beta ebuilds are continuing to blossom on the
portage tree, other leaner and meaner window managers do have their
followers, especially among Gentooists traditionally fond of things with a
small memory footprint. Flavour of the week seems to be XFCE4, but unlike
most Linux support mailing lists that carefully avoid this type of
discussion for fear of (f)lame wars, one of the strengths of a web-based
forum is that people can explore and compare the virtues of window
managers and desktop environments without getting scolded for cluttering
bandwidth. Check some threads on current trends in making X look good:
 * KDE 3.2 now in Portage[13]
 * Between a WM and a DE[14]
 * Made the Switch to XFCE4[15]
 * The F? Virtual Window Manager[16]
 * Openbox3[17]
IDE Performance Tweaks
In the never ending quest of squeezing every last bit of performance out
of your IDE disks,  here [18] are some more settings to try on your Gentoo

Locking a user out.
A problem with locking a user out of system with usermod commands is that
often they can still log in using ssh etc. Have a look at this[19] post
for some potential remedies for this ailment.

5. Gentoo International
Russian Forum In Spe Looking for Moderators
The Gentoo Forums are busy looking for one or more Russian speakers to
take on the responsibilities of moderating the new Russian forum in the
works. The current global moderators are unable to watch over even the
first few days of a new forum in a language none of them speaks all that
well, which is why it'll only be created after someone managing it from
the inside is found. Go to this thread[20] to announce your intentions.

6. Portage Watch
Portage Watch is on hiatus this week.
7. Bugzilla
 * Statistics
 * Closed Bug Ranking
 * New Bug Rankings
The Gentoo community uses Bugzilla ([21]) to record and
track bugs, notifications, suggestions and other interactions with the
development team. Between 24 October 2003 and 30 October 2003, activity on
the site has resulted in:

 * 425 new bugs during this period
 * 289 bugs closed or resolved during this period
 * 7 previously closed bugs were reopened this period
Of the 3925 currently open bugs: 89 are labeled 'blocker', 188 are labeled
'critical', and 311 are labeled 'major'.
Closed Bug Rankings
The developers and teams who have closed the most bugs during this period
 * AMD64 Porting Team[22], with 25 closed bugs[23]
 * Gentoo Games[24], with 16 closed bugs[25]
 * Gentoo Linux Gnome Desktop Team[26], with 15 closed bugs[27]
 * Martin Schlemmer[28], with 15 closed bugs[29]
 * Gentoo Sound Team[30], with 11 closed bugs[31]
 22. amd64@g.o
 24. games@g.o
 26. gnome@g.o
 28. azarah@g.o
 30. sound@g.o
New Bug Rankings
The developers and teams who have been assigned the most new bugs during
this period are:
 * GCC Porting Team[32], with 15 new bugs[33]
 * Gentoo Sound Team[34], with 13 new bugs[35]
 * Gentoo X-Windows Packagers[36], with 11 new bugs[37]
 * Martin Schlemmer[38], with 8 new bugs[39]
 * Python Gentoo Team[40], with 7 new bugs[41]
 * Mozilla Gentoo Team[42], with 7 new bugs[43]
 32. gcc-porting@g.o
 34. sound@g.o
 36. xfree@g.o
 38. azarah@g.o
 40. python@g.o
 42. mozilla@g.o
8. Tips and Tricks
Scheduling with "at"
This week's tip shows you how to schedule events in Gentoo Linux with the
at command. While cron is the more common scheduling utility in Gentoo
Linux, at is useful for scheduling one-time events, or simply setting a
task to run at some date/time in the future.
| Code Listing 8.1:                                                       |
| Getting at                                                              |
|# emerge sys-apps/at                                                     |
Now that at is installed, the daemon must be started so that scheduled
jobs can be run.
| Code Listing 8.2:                                                       |
| Starting atd                                                            |
|# /etc/init.d/atd start                                                  |
| * Starting atd...                                                [ ok ] |
Now you can start using at.
Note:  For security you may need to edit /etc/at/at.allow and
/etc/at/at.deny. See the manpage for more information on securing at.
| Code Listing 8.3:                                                       |
| Using at                                                                |
|Set XMMS to play wakeup.ogg at 6am tomorrow morning                      |
|% at 6am tomorrow                                                        |
|at> xmms ~/music/wakeup.ogg                                              |
|at> <Ctrl-D>                                                             |
|job 6 at 2003-10-31 06:00                                                |
|At 11:30 pm today, start an install of mozilla                           |
|% at 11:30 pm today                                                      |
|at> emerge update mozilla                                                |
|at> <Ctrl-D>                                                             |
|job 7 at 2003-10-30 23:30                                                |
Now there are two jobs scheduled which will be run 'at' the specified
times. To view a list of jobs you've scheduled, use atq. If you decide you
don't want a job to run, you can can use the atrm command.
| Code Listing 8.4:                                                       |
| Removing a previously scheduled job                                     |
|Remove the 'emerge' job we scheduled for 11:30pm                         |
|% atq                                                                    |
|6       2003-10-31 06:00 a david                                         |
|7       2003-10-30 23:30 a david                                         |
|% atrm 7                                                                 |
|% atq                                                                    |
|6       2003-10-31 06:00 a david                                         |
For more information use man 1 at.
9. Moves, Adds and Changes
The following developers recently left the Gentoo team:
 * none this week
The following developers recently joined the Gentoo Linux team:
 * Jeremy Martin-Sheperd (jbms) -- emacs
 * James Harlow (hythloday) -- script repository
 * kloeri -- python
The following developers recently changed roles within the Gentoo Linux
 * none this week
10. Contribute to GWN
Interested in contributing to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter? Send us an

 44. gwn-feedback@g.o
11. GWN Feedback
Please send us your feedback[45] and help make the GWN better.

 45. gwn-feedback@g.o
12. GWN Subscription Information
To subscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank email to
To unsubscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank email to
gentoo-gwn-unsubscribe@g.o from the email address you are
subscribed under.
13. Other Languages
The Gentoo Weekly Newsletter is also available in the following languages:
 * Dutch[46]
 * English[47]
 * German[48]
 * French[49]