From: Yuji Carlos Kosugi <carlos@g.o>
To: gentoo-gwn@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-gwn] Gentoo Weekly Newsletter - Volume 2, Issue 51
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 05:24:32
1 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
3 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/current.xml
4 This is the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter for the week of December 29th, 2003.
5 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
6
7 ==============
8 1. Gentoo News
9 ==============
10
11 Summary
12 -------
13
14 * First Anniversary of the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
15 * GWN Staff Profiles
16
17 First Anniversary of the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
18 -------------------------------------------------
19
20 This week marks the first anniversary of the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter,
21 whose first issue[1] was published on 23 December 2002. As inaugural
22 editor Kurt Lieber[2] said, "the GWN was started as a way of giving the
23 Gentoo community one source of information about the Gentoo Linux
24 project." We've added, changed, and retired sections; and contributors and
25 translators have come and gone, but we hope to continue to provide you
26 with news about your favorite Linux distribution.
27
28 1. http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20021223-newsletter.xml
29 2. klieber@g.o
30
31 To celebrate the first anniversary, this week we're bringing you some
32 special content. First, for those of you who've wondered who we are, we
33 have profiles of the contributors and translators from whom we were able
34 to catch and force a picture and some words. In both Featured Developer
35 and the new semiregular Developer Interviews we're interviewing chief
36 architect Daniel Robbins[3]. In the first interview you'll find out about
37 Daniel and his role in the project, and in the latter about new features
38 being considered or in development, and the future of the project.
39
40 3. drobbins@g.o
41
42 We'd like to thank the great team of contributors and translators who make
43 the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter possible. As always, we're seeking volunteers
44 to help make the GWN better; see the end of the newsletter if you're
45 interested.
46
47 GWN Staff Profiles
48 ------------------
49
50 Figure 1.1: Yuji Kosugi
51 http://www.gentoo.org/images/gwn/20031229_carlos.jpg
52
53 Yuji Kosugi[4] has worked on the GWN since its inception at the end of
54 2002, mostly on the Featured Developer section, and has been the editor
55 since July 2003. A freshman majoring in mathematics at Brown University in
56 Providence, Rhode Island, USA, he spent way too much of his first semester
57 there playing Cosmic Encounter, Magic:the Gathering, Dance Dance
58 Revolution, and other games instead of going to class. Yuji also practices
59 Aikido and enjoys juggling.
60
61 4. carlos@g.o
62
63 Contributors
64
65 Figure 1.2: AJ Armstrong
66 http://www.gentoo.org/images/gwn/20031229_aja.jpg
67
68 AJ Armstrong[5] (aja) is responsible for our Featured Developer and
69 Bugzilla sections. He is an instructor in Computer Engineering Technology
70 at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology. He is an omnivorous
71 reader who practices Karate and enjoys SCUBA diving. He lives in Edmonton,
72 Canada with his wife, who is expecting their first child in April.
73
74 5. aja@g.o
75
76 Figure 1.3: Brian Downey
77 http://www.gentoo.org/images/gwn/20031229_bd.jpg
78
79 Brian Downey[6] heads up the gentoo-user mailing list summaries, and just
80 got married earlier this year at the age of 28. Hailing from Farmington,
81 Michigan, USA (just outside of Detroit) Brian enjoys jamming[7] on drums &
82 guitar or working on building up the small Linux consulting start-up[8] he
83 founded in 2002. He also works full-time for a large Detroit financial
84 company and is proud of the progress he has made transitioning servers to
85 Gentoo Linux in that organization. A self-admitted Apple Mac fan, he
86 explains it simply: "OS X rocks." His motto is unsurprisingly
87 Unix-influenced: "If you're going to do it, you might as well do it
88 right."
89
90 6. me@×××××××××××.net
91 7. http://glori5.com
92 8. http://thelinuxfix.com
93
94 Luke Giuliani[9] (coldflame) is responsible for our -dev mailing list
95 update section. He is a student at the University of Melbourne, studing
96 Engineering (Mechatronics)/Computer Science. In his spare (and not so
97 spare) time he enjoys consuming copious amounts of coffee, shooting pool,
98 and arguing philosophy with friends. He lives in Melbourne, Australia.
99
100 9. cold_flame@××××.com
101
102 Figure 1.4: David Narayan
103 http://www.gentoo.org/images/gwn/20031229_david.jpg
104
105 David Narayan[10] is responsible for our Tips & Tricks section. He works
106 as a systems administrator for a university in Georgia (United States).
107 When not at work he can usually be found playing pool or backpacking.
108
109 10. david@g.o
110
111 Figure 1.5: Ulrich Plate
112 http://www.gentoo.org/images/gwn/20031229_plate.jpg
113
114 Ulrich Plate[11], responsible for the weekly Forum fallout and the
115 International news section, has just turned 40 last month. When he joined
116 the GWN team at its inauguration one year ago, he was still on post in
117 Tokyo, representing a number of European IT companies in Japan and Asia.
118 Since his repatriation to Germany in May, he is Managing Director of a
119 small technology consultancy[12] in the Taunus mountain range just outside
120 of Frankfurt am Main, focussing on open source migration strategies and IT
121 security. As a former journalist he's delighted to get to write stuff at
122 least once a week for the GWN, and could definitely use some more pressure
123 to fulfill his duties as a Forum moderator and press relations officer for
124 Gentoo Linux. His motto is borrowed from Douglas Adams: "I love deadlines.
125 I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
126
127 11. plate@g.o
128 12. http://www.ngenn.net
129
130 German Translators
131
132 Marc Herren aka dj-submerge[13] is 26 years old and lives in Bern
133 (Switzerland). He's using Linux since 1998 and Gentoo for about 2 years.
134 Currently he's working as a project leader in a networking company mainly
135 dealing with HP-UX and Linux. Besides computers he plays volleyball a lot
136 and spins the turntables.
137
138 13. dj-submerge@g.o
139
140 Tobias Scherbaum aka dertobi123[14] is 22 and lives in Oberhausen
141 (Germany). He is using Gentoo for something about one and a half year.
142 Since december he's reponsible for german translations within the Gentoo
143 Documentation Project.
144
145 14. dertobi123@g.o
146
147 Steffen aka MadEagle[15] ist 32, lives in Hamburg (Germany) and is an IT
148 Consultant when he is not translating the GWN. He uses Linux on and off
149 since 1998 but for the last two years consistently Gentoo.
150
151 15. madeagle@g.o
152
153 Tobias aka SirSeoman[16] is 23 and lives in Trier (Germany). Besides being
154 a translator for the GWN, he is a student of applied computer science at
155 the Trier University of Applied Sciences. He is using linux and Gentoo
156 permanently for 6 months and learns more daily.
157
158 16. SirSeoman@g.o
159
160 Daniel aka Sputnik1969[17] lives in Berlin (Germany), is 34 years young
161 and uses Linux since 1998 and Gentoo since Spring 2002. If he doesn't
162 translates parts of the GWN he's looking for a new job as a Software
163 Developer or System Administrator.
164
165 17. sputnik1969@g.o
166
167 Thomas Raschbacher aka LordVan[18] is 21 years old and lives in Austria.
168 He's using Linux since 1995 and Gentoo for about 2 years. Currently he's
169 self employed as a Computer reseller and consultant. When he's not coding
170 or translating GWN he's usually listening to music, read Mangas or watch
171 Animes.
172
173 18. lordvan@g.o
174
175 Matthias aka haim[19] is 21 and lives in Vienna (Austria). When he isn't
176 translating the GWN into German language, he is working as a freelancing
177 Linux IT Consultant. In his spare time, Matthias likes to party with
178 friends or reading an interesting book.
179
180 19. haim@g.o
181
182 Italian Translators
183
184 Figure 1.6: Marco Mascherpa
185 http://www.gentoo.org/images/gwn/20031229_marco.jpg
186
187 Marco Mascherpa, italian lead translator, is 24 years old and he lives
188 with his family in Milan, Italy. After the last exam left to pass, he's
189 going to get a degree in Information Engineering and now he's quite busy
190 studying and writing his thesis about Open Source software in the
191 enterprise. His interests include playing with Gentoo, watching movies,
192 reading books and playing strategy games.
193
194 Figure 1.7: Claudio Merloni
195 http://www.gentoo.org/images/gwn/20031229_claudio.jpg
196
197 Claudio Merloni aka paper is 25 years old, born and living in Milan,
198 Italy. He is currently fighting against the last exam left to obtain a
199 degree in Computer Engineering at the Politecnico of Milan, while working
200 on his thesis on Natural Language Processing. When not trying to break his
201 Gentoo, he enjoys playing on his piano or listening to music, from jazz to
202 progressive rock.
203
204 Christian Apolloni aka bsolar lives in Lugano, Switzerland and is studying
205 Computer Science at the Swiss-Italian University of Applied Science. He
206 likes to go to the cinema, go-karting and reading.
207
208 Figure 1.8: Stefano Lucidi
209 http://www.gentoo.org/images/gwn/20031229_stefano.jpg
210
211 Stefano Lucidi is 23 years old and at the moment lives in Rome (italy). He
212 studies computer science. He loves power and progressive metal
213 (stratovarius, dream theater etc etc). During waste time he likes to play
214 the guitar, read, code in his favourite languages (C, python and java),
215 test open source software or update his Gentoo portal Gentoo Italia[20].
216
217 20. http://www.gentoo-italia.org/
218
219 Russian Translators
220
221 Sergey Galkin aka Zlodey[21] is 26 and lives in Saratov (Russia). He uses
222 Linux since 2001 and Gentoo for the last year. Currently he's working as a
223 network administrator managing Ciscos' devices and servers running Gentoo,
224 Solaris and FreeBSD
225
226 21. sergey_zlodey@××××.ru
227
228 Sergey Kuleshov aka svyatogor[22] is 18 years old and lives in Cyprus.
229 He's been using Linux for the last 3 years and switched to Gentoo around a
230 year ago. Apart from being a GWN translator he's also a follow-up
231 translator for the Russian team and lead of the Gentoo Documentation
232 Internationalisation Subproject. In real life he's a student doing his
233 B.Sc. in "Maths Computing and Statistic"
234
235 22. svyatogor@g.o
236
237 Aleksandr Martyncev aka Aleks[23] is 17 years old. He lives in Bryansk
238 (Russia) and works as a programmer for one of the enterprises. He began
239 using Linux in 2003 and seems to really like it When Aleksandr joined our
240 team he didn't use Gentoo, but now he's got strong interest in this
241 distro.
242
243 23. amncorp@××.ru
244
245 Alex Spirin aka asp13[24] (don't mix with a dozen of others :) is 26 years
246 old and lives in Saratov city (Russia, Volga-river). He's doing his best
247 in order not waste any time on his way to work/home. Alex works as a
248 network administrator maintaining Ciscos' devices and other "damned stuff"
249 and certainly uses Gentoo, especially the _very_ powerful Gentoo LiveCD.
250 He hopes it was him who invented (or probably stolen?) the best Gentoo's
251 motto - "Emerge YOUR world".
252
253 24. asp13@××××.ru
254
255 =================================
256 2. Featured Developer of the Week
257 =================================
258
259 Daniel Robbins
260
261 Figure 2.1: Daniel Robbins with daughter Tzipporah
262 http://www.gentoo.org/images/gwn/20031229_drobbins.jpg
263
264 In honour of our anniversary edition, we are featuring an interview with
265 Daniel Robbins[25] (drobbins), the founder of Gentoo. The interview is in
266 a question-and-answer format rather than our usual summary format, to give
267 Daniel a chance to speak directly about the distro, it's origins and where
268 it's going.
269
270 25. drobbins@g.o
271
272 GWN: Tell us a bit about yourself.
273
274 I was born in Montreal, Canada, and lived there until I was eight. Then I
275 moved with my mom to Brookline, MA (Boston area) where I stayed until I
276 finished high school. I spent most of a year at WPI (Worcester Polytechnic
277 Institute) before dropping out near the end of my freshman year. I then
278 started working, including a stint at Sony Electronic Publishing. After
279 that, I moved out to Albuquerque, New Mexico, where I met and married my
280 wife, and where we now live with our two young daughters, Hadassah and
281 Tzipporah.
282
283 In Albuquerque, I've had various computer-related jobs such as serving as
284 a syadmin at the University of New Mexico. This is where I first started
285 using GNU/Linux. For the last 3 or 4 years, I've done a lot of writing for
286 IBM developerWorks, SAMS and Intel Developer Services, which became a
287 close to a full-time thing. For most of 2003, a sponsor in Germany has
288 been generously supporting me financially so that I can work on Gentoo
289 full-time. So now I'm now devoting all of my work-related efforts to
290 moving Gentoo forward.
291
292 GWN: Could you tell us about how Gentoo started?
293
294 I became involved in the development of Stampede Linux, but wasn't
295 enjoying the experience. So I decided to create my own distribution to
296 learn about Linux. Because I was working by myself, I had to make sure
297 that everything was as automated as possible, and that's when the
298 development of Portage began. At that time, Gentoo was called Enoch.
299
300 GWN: What do you see on the horizon for Gentoo in the near term? In the
301 long term?
302
303 For 2004, you'll see us move to a quarterly release schedule, and
304 transition to a new naming scheme -- the next release of Gentoo will be
305 called "Gentoo Linux 2004." Under the hood, you'll see the fruits of
306 several efforts to improve quality, organization and efficiency within our
307 thriving and rapidly-growing community project.
308
309 Organizationally, we will be moving to a not-for-profit organizational
310 model some time in 2004, and will continue to improve our ability to
311 develop and deliver innovative technologies to the public. You'll also see
312 portage-ng ("portage -- next generation") development begin, as we work on
313 a full community-driven redesign of our package manager/ports system.
314 Overall, you'll see Gentoo continue to grow and flourish.
315
316 Beyond this? We'll continue to have fun and focus on delivering powerful
317 free solutions to the public.
318
319 GWN: What role do you think Gentoo plays (or will play) in the broader
320 Linux and Open Source communities as they gain more market share and media
321 attention?
322
323 I think there is a tendency for Linux-related technologies to become
324 commercialized and "less free" due to the involvement of for-profit
325 companies, some of which tend to be more pragmatic than idealistic in
326 their day-to-day behavior. Their actions often end up working against the
327 "hacker ethos." In contrast, our efforts are focused on advancing the
328 hacker ethos, because we're all hackers. That's why people tend to become
329 quite devoted to Gentoo -- because they can see we're doing and are
330 excited about that vision. Having a thriving free software community is
331 more than just choosing the right license.
332
333 GWN: Is there anything you'd like to say to the Gentoo community?
334
335 Thank you for using Gentoo Linux and please be sure to let us know how we
336 can make Gentoo better for you. Gentoo is what it is today because of
337 community involvement.
338
339 ======================
340 3. Developer Interview
341 ======================
342
343 This week we're beginning a new, semiregular Developer Interview section.
344 Like in Featured Developer of the Week, this section will be based on an
345 interview of a developer, but here we'll focus more on what these
346 developers can tell us about Gentoo Linux and its future. As it turns out
347 this week we're interviewing Daniel Robbins[26] again; here's what he had
348 to tell us:
349
350 26. drobbins@g.o
351
352 GWN: Thanks for taking the time to talk a bit with us here at the GWN.
353
354 You're welcome :)
355
356 GWN: Your title is "Chief architect", but what do you actually do within
357 the Gentoo Linux Project?
358
359 My efforts are generally focused on "stretching" or elevating Gentoo as a
360 project in certain critical areas, usually technical. With a project as
361 large and dynamic as Gentoo, there is often a lack of focus. My job these
362 days is to get certain things on the agenda -- things that are important
363 goals, and may not otherwise happen if someone isn't pushing for them.
364
365 Because of my position on the project, I can push things forward that
366 others may not be able to move forward by themselves. A lot of my efforts
367 have to do with helping others to get their important efforts moving
368 forward and bearing fruit
369
370 GWN: With Gentoo currently storming on, and gaining popularity
371 (Distrowatch.com labels Gentoo 4th most popular distro within the last 12
372 months), what do you think has made Gentoo such a succes.
373
374 A lot of things. From its inception, I made a very concerted effort to
375 make Gentoo the ideal distribution for true Linux power users and
376 developers. This allowed us to attract a lot of talented people rather
377 quickly. We had a very liberal developer recruitment policy, which allowed
378 us to grow rapidly.
379
380 When we had a lot of skilled developers who were making Gentoo better, a
381 user community started to form. Our development team did a lot of good
382 things to nourish this user community and be responsive to its needs.
383 Because we took care of Gentoo users, a lot of Gentoo users seemed to get
384 rather excited and started helping out newcomers to Gentoo as well.
385
386 Then we had another level of growth, where things like the forums really
387 flourished. Users were helping other users, and this created a really
388 healthy ecosystem for Gentoo, and this is something that we continue to
389 enjoy today.
390
391 GWN: Speaking of the current succes, you recently announced the start of
392 Portage-ng development
393 (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/manager/meetings/summaries/2003/20031
394 103.xml). You outlined as a goal that portage-ng should be "beyond
395 peoples' wildest expectations. Would you care to elaborate a bit on what
396 we can expect.
397
398 You can expect all planning, goal-setting and development to be done
399 publicly, with full accountability and involvement of our user and
400 developer community. This is the only way we can approach a project as
401 significant as portage-ng.
402
403 By making the community the key part of this process, and collecting their
404 ideas and requirements for portage-ng, the result will indeed be beyond
405 what any of us could have thought up all by ourselves.
406
407 GWN: Gentoo 1.4 was released a while ago, what can we expect from the
408 upcoming Gentoo release?
409
410 We're moving to a new year-based versioning scheme, so the next release of
411 Gentoo will be called Gentoo Linux 2004. We're also moving to a quarterly
412 release schedule, and all our releases will be built with the new catalyst
413 build tool. Users will be able to rebuild the entire release using a
414 stage1 and a portage snapshot. Our LiveCDs will be user-rebuildable and
415 tweakable, thanks to catalyst. You can learn more about our plans at the
416 release engineering project page[27].
417
418 27. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/
419
420 GWN: When can we expect the change to kernel 2.6?
421
422 Kernel 2.6 will be supported as an option in Gentoo Linux 2004. We will
423 continue to support 2.4 for as long as people need it. When the driver
424 support in 2.6 begins to surpass 2.4 in breadth and quality, then we'll
425 look into making a 2.6 kernel the "default" kernel. This may happen sooner
426 rather than later, because the 2.6 kernel series seems to be off to a fine
427 start.
428
429 GWN: Could we expect a GUI installer to be developed for an upcoming
430 Gentoo release?
431
432 I think this is likely to happen in late 2004. In the past, we've had
433 several developer-led installer projects start, fizzle, and then die.
434 Generally, this was because these installer efforts were pet projects of
435 one or two developers and never really got support or interest from the
436 rest of the project. People who work on installers have historically
437 tended to be "lone ranger"-style developers, and a fair number of our
438 developers don't really care about having a graphical installer.
439
440 Before we start another installer project, we really need to create some
441 consensus about what our goals for the installer should be. Once we have a
442 clear and inspiring vision for how the Gentoo installer should operate, it
443 can be accepted project-wide. Then we can get a project organized and
444 finally get a cutting-edge installer done for Gentoo that everyone can be
445 proud of.
446
447 GWN: Everyone cares about security these days, many distros now ship with
448 a firewall enabled per default, Microsoft even started to compile their
449 software with a compiler with stack protective measures (like ProPolice).
450 What can we expect Gentoo to do in terms of encouraging safe computing in
451 the near future?
452
453 The fundamentals include more use of GPG in critical areas of Gentoo and
454 Portage and more organization and focus in regard to our GLSAs (Gentoo
455 Linux Security Advisories.) But the key work in this area is happening
456 thanks to several ambitious efforts being pursued by our hardened
457 project[28], led by Joshua Brindle (Method)
458
459 28. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/
460
461 There seems to be some indication that there will be a "hardened" version
462 of Gentoo available some time in 2004, thanks to the efforts of this
463 project.
464
465 GWN: What current development in the Linux community are you most looking
466 forward to?
467
468 My focus is unbashedly on Gentoo. Technically, I am most looking forward
469 to Gentoo Linux 2004, catalyst and especially portage-ng. From a larger
470 perspective, I'm looking forward to seeing our development team and user
471 community continue to create, innovate and inspire. As a project manager,
472 I'm most looking forward to watching Gentoo become more "professional" by
473 adopting software development practices that allow us to drastically
474 improve quality and user involvement throughout the entire project.
475
476 Organizationally, I'm looking forward to seeing Gentoo transition to a
477 not-for-profit entity or entities some time in 2004, which will mark a new
478 level of maturity for Gentoo as an organization.
479
480 ==================
481 4. Gentoo Security
482 ==================
483
484 There were no new security announcements or bugs this week.
485
486 =========================
487 5. Heard in the Community
488 =========================
489
490 Web Forums
491 ----------
492
493 Flash For PPC
494
495 Slow week for most of the Forums (except for a particularly untimely
496 flurry of gratuitious flamemongering in the Off the Wall section). Among
497 the more useful things to be posted was g-rem's[29] howto for getting
498 Macromedia's flash player to work in Linux on Macintosh - so useful, in
499 fact, that it got replicated into the Italian forum right away:
500
501 29. http://forums.gentoo.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=35400
502
503 * Macromedia Flash Player 6 on Linux PPC with Qemu[30]
504 * finalmente flash per ppc .....[31](Italian)
505 30. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=117936
506 31. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=117774
507
508 gentoo-user
509 -----------
510
511 Downtime and Upstream
512
513 With people cheering wildly at the reinstatement of the gentoo-user
514 mailing list after four days of downtime, they seem to have encountered
515 mostly non-Gentoo-specific development problems further up the stream,
516 specifically concerning the odd Christmas install of a freshly minted 2.6
517 kernel:
518
519 * We live![32]
520 * devfs and udev (kernel 2.6 and beyond)[33]
521 32. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/59104
522 33. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/59398
523
524 gentoo-dev
525 ----------
526
527 A move of development sources.
528
529 As some people may be aware, the linux kernel recently reached version
530 2.6.0. As this is technically a stable release, the question was asked
531 whether vanilla-sources in the portage tree should now point to these
532 sources. Have a look here[34] for the full discussion, including arguments
533 for and against.
534
535 34. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/14633
536
537 =======================
538 6. Gentoo International
539 =======================
540
541 Italy: Major Revamp of GECHI Website Under Way
542
543 Two stickies in the Italian Gentoo forum talk about the redistribution of
544 tasks for the GECHI (GEntoo CHannel Italia) website[35]. If you feel like
545 helping out with the technical administration workload or with content
546 creation, kindly respond to these[36] two[37] threads.
547
548 35. http://www.gentoo.it
549 36. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=115348
550 37. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=115251
551
552 ========================================
553 7. Bugzilla - Annual Closed Bug Rankings
554 ========================================
555
556 The Gentoo community uses Bugzilla (bugs.gentoo.org[38]) to record and
557 track bugs, notifications, suggestions and other interactions with the
558 development team. Over the year following the first publication of the
559 GWN, the developers and teams who closed the most bugs are:
560
561 38. http://bugs.gentoo.org
562
563 * Gentoo Games[39], with 686 closed bugs[40]
564 * Gentoo Gnome Desktop Team[41], with 653 closed bugs[42]
565 * Gentoo KDE Team[43], with 598 closed bugs[44]
566 * Martin Schlemmer[45], with 576 closed bugs[46]
567 * Martin Holzer[47], with 559 closed bugs[48]
568 * Nick Hadaway[49], with 376 closed bugs[50]
569 * Nicholas Jones[51], with 342 closed bugs[52]
570 39. games@g.o
571 40.
572 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&ch
573 field=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2002-12-23&chfieldto=2003-12-23&resolution=FIX
574 ED&assigned_to=games@g.o
575 41. gnome@g.o
576 42.
577 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&ch
578 field=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2002-12-23&chfieldto=2003-12-23&resolution=FIX
579 ED&assigned_to=gnome@g.o
580 43. kde@g.o
581 44.
582 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&ch
583 field=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2002-12-23&chfieldto=2003-12-23&resolution=FIX
584 ED&assigned_to=kde@g.o
585 45. azarah@g.o
586 46.
587 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&ch
588 field=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2002-12-23&chfieldto=2003-12-23&resolution=FIX
589 ED&assigned_to=azarah@g.o
590 47. mholzer@g.o
591 48.
592 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&ch
593 field=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2002-12-23&chfieldto=2003-12-23&resolution=FIX
594 ED&assigned_to=mholzer@g.o
595 49. raker@g.o
596 50.
597 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&ch
598 field=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2002-12-23&chfieldto=2003-12-23&resolution=FIX
599 ED&assigned_to=raker@g.o
600 51. carpaski@g.o
601 52.
602 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&ch
603 field=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2002-12-23&chfieldto=2003-12-23&resolution=FIX
604 ED&assigned_to=carpaski@g.o
607 ==================
608 8. Tips and Tricks
609 ==================
610
611 Linux Magic System Request Key Hacks
612
613 This week's tip is about the 'magic' SysRq key that can be used to send
614 events to the kernel in Linux.
615
616 To enable the SysRq key, compile CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ into the kernel. To
617 disable it during runtime, use echo "0" > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq.
618
619 To use the SysRq key, use ALT-SysRq-<commmand key>. This allows you to
620 send commands straight to the kernel that will be executed immediately
621 unless the machine is completely locked up.
622
623 Some of the many uses of SysRq are:
624
625 * Kill all programs on the current virtual console
626 * Immediately reboot the system
627 * Sync all filesystems
628 * Dump memory info to the console
629 * Kill all processes except init
630 * Set the console log level
631
632 For more detailed information on using SysRq see the kernel documentation
633 at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt
634
635 ===========================
636 9. Moves, Adds, and Changes
637 ===========================
638
639 Moves
640 -----
641
642 The following developers recently left the Gentoo team:
643 * Luke-Jr
644
645 Adds
646 ----
647
648 The following developers recently joined the Gentoo Linux team:
649
650 * none this week
651
652 Changes
653 -------
654
655 The following developers recently changed roles within the Gentoo Linux
656 project:
657
658 * none this week
659
660 =====================
661 10. Contribute to GWN
662 =====================
663
664 Interested in contributing to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter? Send us an
665 email[53].
666
667 53. gwn-feedback@g.o
668
669 ================
670 11. GWN Feedback
671 ================
672
673 Please send us your feedback[54] and help make the GWN better.
674
675 54. gwn-feedback@g.o
676
677 ================================
678 12. GWN Subscription Information
679 ================================
680
681 To subscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank email to
682 gentoo-gwn-subscribe@g.o.
683
684 To unsubscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank email to
685 gentoo-gwn-unsubscribe@g.o from the email address you are
686 subscribed under.
687
688 ===================
689 13. Other Languages
690 ===================
691
692 The Gentoo Weekly Newsletter is also available in the following languages:
693
694 * Dutch[55]
695 * English[56]
696 * German[57]