From: Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o>
To: gentoo-gwn@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-gwn] Gentoo Weekly Newsletter 25 July 2005
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:29:51
Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
This is the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter for the week of 25 July 2005.

1. Gentoo News

Bugzilla: Bug 100000!

In early 2002 Gentoo Bugzilla[1] was started to have a central tool for
tracking bugs. Over time, other things like feature requests and version
bumps were also tracked as bugs since Bugzilla makes it quite easy.

On Saturday, July 23rd, at 9:58 UTC, bug number 100.000[2] was posted.

Figure 1.1: Bug 100000 in Gentoo Bugzilla

This is a numerical milestone that shows how popular Bugzilla has become.
The database weighs in at almost 1,5GB! The current rate is just over 100
new bugs a day with a small spike on weekends and a larger spike during
the BugDays[3] that are taking all available timezones to expand to almost
two days these days.

Without the constant tweaks and upgrades by Jeffrey Forman[4] this
wouldn't be possible. Also, a big thanks to the bugwranglers that manage
the bugs and keep us from drowning in the constant flood of new bugs!

 4. jforman@g.o

Keeping gentoo-sources-2.4

In last week's Gentoo Weekly Newsletter we wrote about “Discontinuing
Gentoo-2.4-sources”[5]. Due to the whole bunch of e-mails the Gentoo
kernel team received, they decided to keep gentoo-sources-2.4 beside

There was an update to sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.4.31-r1[6], which is
masked ~x86 currently. Gentoo developer Tim Yamin[7] asks for tests of
this kernel-version, as some patches have been removed. A detailed list of
the patches and a some help for the migration can be found in Gentoo
developer John Mylchreest's blogpost[8] from last Monday after the first
bunch of user e-mails reached the Gentoo kernel team.

 7. plasmaroo@g.o

Furthermore John asks those users who are using OpenSWAN with
gentoo-sources-2.4 and who are unable to move to a 2.6-kernel, to mail
kernel@g.o, so that they can make a decision about the future of
this patchset from the feedback they got. Last of all the kernel team
would like to mention that for those users who are using OpenAFS, that
this package is getting it's much needed attention, and that a kernel-2.6
compatible release should be available reasonably soon.

2. Heard in the community

upgrades and rc-scripts

Brian Harring[9] starts a nice discussion with the naive question: “Out of
curiousity, has any put any thought into some automated method or hook for
allowing restarting of rc-scripts on upgrade/re-emerge of a package?”

 9. ferringb@g.o

 * upgrades and rc-scripts [10]

Bugzilla isn't just for bugs [reminder]

Maybe it's named badly, maybe the documentation isn't obvious enough, but
Gentoo Bugzilla is not only for bugs, but also for feature requests and
other things. Michael Cummings[11] even asks for reports of working
packages in ~ARCH so that it's easier for developers to see if there are
any issues. Of course this shouldn't be abused!

 11. mcummings@g.o

 * Bugzilla isn't just for bugs [reminder] [12]

3. Gentoo International

Germany: National User-Meeting in August

German forums moderator slick[13] currently organises a national
user-meeting[14] during the weekend August 13 and 14. Currently planned is
camping near to an inn in the lovely village Wissen located in the
countryside called Westerwald (between Cologne and Frankfurt/Main).
Potential attendees to this meeting are asked to register on a special
website[15] slick set up for this event.

The idea behind is that there are many people in the quite large German
community who meet daily in IRC or the forums, probably met at one of the
local Gentoo User Meetings or on a fair somewhere in Germany. But there
was often too few time for a longer talk and getting known better to

4. Gentoo in the press

Intel's virtualization tests with Gentoo as basis

In NewsForge's Ottawa Linux Symposium diary[16] was mentioned a talk by
Intel's architect Gordon McFadden about a virtualization test-setup. He
used Gentoo with a 2.6.11-kernel and XFS-filesystem as basis for a
User-Mode-Linux (UML) server. “His reasoning for using Gentoo was not
philosophical, but simply that he had not used it before and wanted to try
something new.”

5. Tips and Tricks

Using vim as Man-page and Info browser

Man-pages and Info are a very good resource for additional information of
an application. Man-pages are usually shown with less and for Info you use
the info-browser. Especially the info-browser is somewhat uncommon to use
if you are not an emacs-user. In this week's Tips and Tricks we will show
you how to use vim as your Man-page and Info browser.

First we need to install an additional package for the Info browser in
vim. The Man-page browser is included by default.

| Code Listing 5.1:                                                       |
|Installing app-vim/info                                                  |
|# emerge app-vim/info                                                    |

After that we will use bash-functions for calling vim and create aliases
for man and info. Therefore edit your ~/.bashrc:

| Code Listing 5.2:                                                       |
|Creating man- and info-functions                                         |
|function viminfo () { vim -R -c "Info $1 $2" -c "bdelete 1"; }           |
|alias info=viminfo                                                       |
|function vimman () { vim -R -c "Man $1 $2" -c "bdelete 1"; }             |
|alias man=vimman                                                         |

Using the aliases gives the advantage that you still can use the original
command by calling \man or \info.

Inside vim's Man-page browser you can use CTRL-] in order to call the
man-page for the word under the cursor, and CTRL-T to jump back. More
information are available with :help Man. There are more keys for the Info
browser. A short help is shown with H when you display an Info-file.

6. Moves, adds, and changes

The following developers recently left the Gentoo team:

 * None this week

The following developers recently joined the Gentoo Linux team:

 * New developer: Bjarke Istrup Pedersen (Gurligebis) (bugday)

The following developers recently changed roles within the Gentoo Linux

 * None this week

7. Gentoo security

Mozilla Thunderbird: Multiple vulnerabilities

Several vulnerabilities in Mozilla Thunderbird allow attacks ranging from
execution of script code with elevated privileges to information leak.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[17]

MediaWiki: Cross-site scripting vulnerability

MediaWiki is vulnerable to a cross-site scripting attack that could allow
arbitrary JavaScript code execution.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[18]

zlib: Buffer overflow

zlib is vulnerable to a buffer overflow which could potentially lead to
execution of arbitrary code.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[19]

Shorewall: Security policy bypass

A vulnerability in Shorewall allows clients authenticated by MAC address
filtering to bypass all other security rules.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[20]

8. Bugzilla

 * Statistics
 * Closed bug ranking
 * New bug rankings

The Gentoo community uses Bugzilla ([21]) to record and
track bugs, notifications, suggestions and other interactions with the
development team. Between 16 July 2005 and 23 July 2005, activity on the
site has resulted in:

 * 811 new bugs during this period
 * 426 bugs closed or resolved during this period
 * 29 previously closed bugs were reopened this period

Of the 8200 currently open bugs: 106 are labeled 'blocker', 193 are
labeled 'critical', and 553 are labeled 'major'.

Closed bug rankings

The developers and teams who have closed the most bugs during this period

 * Gentoo Linux Gnome Desktop Team[22], with 24 closed bugs[23]
 * Gentoo's Team for Core System packages[24], with 24 closed bugs[25]
 * PPC Porters[26], with 20 closed bugs[27]
 * Xavier Neys[28], with 17 closed bugs[29]
 * AMD64 Porting Team[30], with 17 closed bugs[31]
 * PHP Bugs[32], with 15 closed bugs[33]
 * Gentoo Games[34], with 14 closed bugs[35]
 * Perl Devs @ Gentoo[36], with 13 closed bugs[37]
 22. gnome@g.o
 24. base-system@g.o
 26. ppc@g.o
 28. neysx@g.o
 30. amd64@g.o
 32. php-bugs@g.o
 34. games@g.o
 36. perl@g.o

New bug rankings

The developers and teams who have been assigned the most new bugs during
this period are:

 * Default Assignee for New Packages[38], with 190 new bugs[39]
 * Default Assignee for Orphaned Packages[40], with 44 new bugs[41]
 * Gentoo Sound Team[42], with 18 new bugs[43]
 * Gentoo's Team for Core System packages[44], with 16 new bugs[45]
 * Java team[46], with 13 new bugs[47]
 * Colin Morey[48], with 10 new bugs[49]
 * Perl Devs @ Gentoo[50], with 9 new bugs[51]
 * Mozilla Gentoo Team[52], with 9 new bugs[53]
 38. maintainer-wanted@g.o
 40. maintainer-needed@g.o
 42. sound@g.o
 44. base-system@g.o
 46. java@g.o
 48. peitolm@g.o
 50. perl@g.o
 52. mozilla@g.o

9. GWN feedback

Please send us your feedback[54] and help make the GWN better.

 54. gwn-feedback@g.o

10. GWN subscription information

To subscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank email to

To unsubscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank email to
gentoo-gwn+unsubscribe@g.o from the email address you are
subscribed under.

11. Other languages

The Gentoo Weekly Newsletter is also available in the following languages:

 * Danish[55]
 * Dutch[56]
 * English[57]
 * German[58]