From: Yuji Carlos Kosugi <carlos@g.o>
To: gentoo-gwn@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-gwn] Gentoo Weekly Newsletter - Volume 3, Issue 6
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 02:13:19
1 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
3 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/current.xml
4 This is the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter for the week of February 9th, 2004.
5 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
6
7 ==============
8 1. Gentoo News
9 ==============
10
11 * Gentoo Linux Project seeking an additional dialup developer
12 * New gentoo-science maliing list
13
14 Gentoo Linux Project seeking an additional dialup developer
15 -----------------------------------------------------------
16
17 The Gentoo Linux Project is looking for a developer to join the net-dialup
18 team to help quash bugs and maintain ebuilds. We're looking for dedicated
19 devolpers, preferably with experience in developing for dialup packages
20 and writing ebuilds. If you're not sure you have what it takes, check out
21 this[1] bug list. If you're still interested, send an email to Heinrich
22 Wendel[2] with some background info.
23
24 1.
25 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=&short_desc_type=allwordssu
26 bstr&short_desc=&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type
27 =allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=U
28 NCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassi
29 gned_to1=1&emailreporter1=1&emailcc1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=net-dial
30 up&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&changedin=&chfiel
31 dfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+la
32 st+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=
33 2. lanius@g.o
34
35 New gentoo-science mailing list
36 -------------------------------
37
38 Gentoo User Andrew Fant[3] is currently in the process of pulling together
39 a group interested in the use of Gentoo technology in computational
40 science and engineering. To this end, a mailing list
41 (gentoo-science@g.o; follow the instructions on the mailing list
42 page[4] to subscribe) and IRC channel (gentoo-science on irc.freenode.net)
43 have been established. The initial focus will be on providing a clearing
44 house for applying Gentoo Linux to scientific computing, as well as
45 working with the maintainers of the science herd to help speed the
46 unmasking of new versions of applications. In the longer term, they hope
47 to engage in advocacy and voicing the needs of end-users interested in
48 scientific computing.
49
50 3. afant@××××××××.cc
51 4. http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml
52
53 =================================
54 2. Featured Developer of the Week
55 =================================
56
57 Bryan Stine
58
59 Figure 2.1: Bryan Stine
60 http://www.gentoo.org/images/gwn/20040209_battousai.jpg
61
62 Our featured developer for this week is Bryan Stine[5] (battousai), a
63 recent addition to the development team who is working with Donnie
64 Berkholz[6] and the xfree herd[7] on improving ati-gatos[8] support in
65 portage, as well as helping with the Hardened Gentoo[9] project
66 maintaining the Bastille-Linux[10] and PSAD[11] projects. His main tasks
67 at this early point in his dev career comprise developing, updating and
68 testing ebuilds, as well as the perennial tasks of bug identification and
69 squashing - whether in ebuilds or the original applications. Bryan has
70 also been working with the xfree herd in adapting the XFree86 SDK to
71 assist with the task of simplifying XFree installations under Gentoo.
72
73 5. battousai@g.o
74 6. spyderous@g.o
75 7.
76 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/metastructure/herds/herds.xml?select=xfree
77 8. http://gatos.sourceforge.net/
78 9. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/index.xml
79 10. http://www.bastille-linux.org/
80 11. http://www.cipherdyne.com/psad/
81
82 Bryan has been using Linux for about seven years, having worked with it
83 under the RedHat, Slackware and Mandrake distros - with Mandrake as his
84 preference prior to encountering Gentoo. He first encountered Gentoo when
85 version 1.0 was in pre-release, and welcomed it as an opportunity to
86 escape RPM package management. His role on the development team began when
87 Seemant Kulleen[12] asked him to assist with some perl hacking in order to
88 get Bastille-Linux working with Gentoo. After taking over maintenance of
89 the Bastille-Linux and PSAD (a log analyzer and intrusion detector)
90 ebuilds as a user, Bryan was asked to take on formal responsibilities as a
91 Gentoo developer. He commented that "I really enjoyed contributing as a
92 user, and that enjoyment continues as I am now a developer", and remarked
93 on the continuing friendliness and helpfulness of users and developers as
94 he has settled in. In addition to his new role, Bryan still enjoys helping
95 out with user questions on the #gentoo IRC channel, and is frequently seen
96 there under his pseudonym, Battousai.
97
98 12. seemant@g.o
99
100 Bryan is "a long-time KDE user", who counts KvIRC[13] and Kontact[14] and
101 slicKer[15] among his favorite apps. He is also fond of Konqueror[16] and
102 Mozilla Firebird[17]. He works on an Athlon XP 2800+ (512 MB, 120 GB SATA,
103 Radeon 7200) workstation and an HP laptop from WalMart that sports an
104 Athlon XP 2200+ M (256 MB, 30 GB).
105
106 13. http://www.kvirc.net/
107 14. http://kontact.org/
108 15. http://slicker.sourceforge.net/
109 16. http://www.konqueror.org/
110 17. http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/
111
112 Bryan is currently a sophomore student, studying Computer Science at East
113 Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania in the United States. He lives in a
114 small town north of Philadelphia, near New York city. He is an avid hockey
115 fan, unfailingly cheering for the Philadelphia Flyers. He is also a video
116 (not computer) game aficionado, anime watcher and unapologetic Groening
117 fan. Bryan closed our interview with a favorite quote from Futurama's
118 robotic alchoholic, Bender: "Arrr...the law of science be a harsh
119 mistress.", and a reminder to mark our calendars with September 19th,
120 "International Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day".
121
122 =============
123 3. User Story
124 =============
125
126 Michael Rayment, MUN: Computer Department at University of Newfoundland
127 Switches to Gentoo
128
129 Michael Rayment, the system administrator at Canada's Memorial University
130 of Newfoundland[18] who decided to put Gentoo on every single desktop and
131 server in the house, sent us an account of his motivations for moving to
132 Gentoo that was so convincing we decided to publish it verbatim:
133
134 18. http://www.cs.mun.ca
135
136 Background
137
138 First I should provide a little background. I work as a system
139 administrator at a moderate sized university providing computing support
140 for the student computer labs across campus. In total my group provides
141 support for about 800 client workstations some of which are part of a
142 Beowulf cluster, others are Linux only and some are dual boot
143 (Linux/Win98). One common feature is that they are all booting Linux
144 disklessly using an internal boot prom (PXE or Etherboot). All the client
145 workstations get their Linux software from one of 15 application servers
146 that each have identical copies of the Linux software. Only the kernels
147 are customized to run on their respective hardware. The lowest end
148 computers are AMD 266's but most of the computers are in the 600 to 2800
149 megahertz range. It is quite remarkable that such a wide range of
150 computers can run from a single image but what a difference it makes to
151 managing those systems. Within minutes we can rsync the latest
152 modifications out to our 15 application servers and immediately the
153 software is available to our 800 clients. Over the years we have based our
154 image on Slackware, Debian, Mandrake and Redhat.
155
156 Making the Plunge
157
158 Until quite recently we were running Redhat 7.2 heavily modified and
159 patched to keep up-to-date with the latest security patches and some newer
160 versions of applications. You might wonder why we are still running Redhat
161 7.2 instead of the latest and greatest. Well the reason is that invariably
162 things break and packages are missing or don't work after a major upgrade.
163 In short the users get upset and therefore we take a lot of time checking
164 the new distribution before inflicting it on our users. Also we have to
165 munge the distribution to get it to play well in the diskless environment.
166 Putting out a new distribution is therefore something that we don't take
167 lightly and don't do at the drop of the hat. However the applications and
168 libraries are getting old and are in need of a refresh so we began looking
169 at alternatives last summer.
170
171 Our first task was to come up with a list of what we wanted from our new
172 distribution. At the top of our wish list was a distribution that:
173
174 * would evolve gradually over time and not go though completely "new"
175 distributions every year.
176 * would be comprehensive so that we would not have to go out to other
177 sources and get missing applications and deal with inevitable
178 incompatibilities.
179 * would be able to gracefully deal with package dependencies so we don't
180 have to hunt around on the net for particular packages that are required
181 to get an application going.
182 * would be highly configurable and allow for the easy customization of
183 software to fit into our environment.
184 * would provide access to the source code actually running on our
185 systems.
186 * would play well in a diskless environment.
187
188 At the end of the day Gentoo won out on all counts. Gentoo provides an
189 incredible utility called emerge that is able to keep our image up-to-date
190 without inflicting our user community with traumatic change. Changes in
191 one package here or there, following an emerge -u world, is much easier to
192 handle and test than the installation of a completely new distribution. We
193 were amazed at the 6000 odd packages (I didn't bother to count) that are
194 supported under the Gentoo distribution. Most of the software that we have
195 accumulated over the years was available through a simple emerge command.
196 I really enjoyed the way Gentoo dealt with software dependencies. Under
197 our Redhat distribution sometimes we would have to hunt down packages in
198 order to get an application up and running. With Gentoo it lists the
199 dependencies and, at the installers request, proceeds to download, compile
200 and install all the dependencies along with the application. Another
201 feature of Gentoo is that it is a source distribution and so all the
202 sources are readily available in a compact form that can be easily be
203 expanded and viewed for debugging purposes. Since the conversion of
204 sources to binary is accomplished through the use of ebuild scripts, it is
205 possible to control the way your system compiles and where the various
206 package components are installed.
207
208 Finally and most importantly I was pleased that Gentoo played well with
209 our diskless environment. One thing that made converting to a diskless
210 environment easy was the ability to have named run levels. This allows us
211 to start up computers running different services by passing an argument to
212 the kernel at boot time. For each of our specialized environments (eg.
213 dual boot computers, single boot computers, Beowulf systems, firewalls,
214 dial up ISP computers and kiosk computers), the symlinks to the specific
215 start up scripts are simply placed into an appropriately named directory
216 and the diskless client then takes on the requested functions based on the
217 boot up parameter. Another thing I liked was the way that you could fake
218 the start up of a particular component of the run time start up sequence.
219 This is important when booting disklessly as things like the network
220 services are already configured before init even starts.
221
222 Where We Are
223
224 We have just started the roll out of Gentoo into our lab environment. We
225 are currently running a modified Gentoo image on a few computers in one of
226 our Computer Science labs and will turn more on as we work out the
227 wrinkles. We will soon be starting to build our master Gentoo server that
228 will sync out software to the application servers. As we switch one lab
229 from Redhat to Gentoo we will simply point the labs application server to
230 the Gentoo master sync server. It will probably take a month or two to
231 complete the switch over depending on how busy we are and how many
232 problems we run into. Again we like to make sure things are working well
233 before inflicting change on our users.
234
235 Comments
236
237 As to whether Gentoo is the distribution for you, well that depends on a
238 number of things. As you can well imagine we have a lot of experience with
239 Unix and Linux and we also like to do unusual things with our computers.
240 Gentoo is ideal for this kind of situation. The portage system does make
241 things very smooth so I can certainly see neophytes being able to install
242 a Gentoo system without much effort but for the guy who just wants to turn
243 on the computer and have it work then I can see a real advantage in the
244 traditional binary distribution. One of the big advantages of Linux is
245 that there are multiple ways to set up your computer. Hopefully there will
246 be a way, whether it be Redhat or Gentoo, that meets everyones needs so
247 that some day most people will actually choose Linux over Microsoft when
248 selecting an OS.
249
250 My other hope is that there will be greater support for running Linux in a
251 diskless environment. What is needed is a standard way of doing Linux
252 disklessly so that software developers can write their software in such a
253 way as to facilitate the running of their applications in a diskless
254 environment. The /dev file system and /dev/shm have certainly gone a long
255 way towards facilitating the diskless transition. The adoption of the /var
256 as the directory of choice for applications to write to, has made the task
257 quite easy but occasionally some applications still do something that
258 messes up. But from a systems management point of view going diskless is
259 worth the effort. It offers truly distributed computing with truly
260 centralized management control and it is something that Microsoft does not
261 offer. It is therefore something that the Linux world should promote.
262
263 ==================
264 4. Gentoo Security
265 ==================
266
267 GLSA: mod_php
268 -------------
269
270 PHP is a widely-used general-purpose scripting language that is especially
271 suited for Web development and can be embedded into HTML. If the server
272 configuration "php.ini" file has "register_globals = on" and a request is
273 made to one virtual host (which has "php_admin_flag register_globals off")
274 and the next request is sent to the another virtual host (which does not
275 have the setting) through the same apache child, the setting will persist.
276 This may lead to leaks of global variables.
277
278 Depending on the server and site, an attacker may be able to exploit
279 global variables to gain access to reserved areas, such as MySQL
280 passwords, or this vulnerability may simply cause a lack of functionality.
281 As a result, users are urged to upgrade their PHP installations. Gentoo
282 ships PHP with "register_globals" set to "off" by default. This issue
283 affects both servers running Apache 1.x and servers running Apache 2.x.
284
285 * Severity: Normal
286 * Packages Affected: <=dev-php/mod_php-4.3.4-r3
287 * Retification: emerge sync; emerge -pv ">=dev-php/mod_php-4.3.4-r4";
288 emerge ">=dev-php/mod_php-4.3.4-r4"
289 * GLSA Announcement[19]
290 19. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.announce/284
293 =========================
294 5. Heard in the Community
295 =========================
296
297 Web Forums
298 ----------
299
300 Indian Languages in Gentoo
301
302 Aniruddha Shankar akaKream[20] isn't exactly new to the Forums, in fact,
303 he's been one of its first users, mere days after forums.gentoo.org's
304 initial setup in April 2002. Despite this early involvement, he's only had
305 very little over a dozen posts - and as it turns out just this weekend,
306 that's to be seen as a clear victory for quality over quantity: His
307 modified scripts for enabling Indian language support are in the
308 Documentation, Tips & Tricks section now, a must-have for Indian Gentoo
309 users. Original author Guntupalli Karunakar's IndLinux[21] scripts, font
310 and tool packages aim at providing Panjabi, Tamil and other languages to
311 the Linux desktop, too, but for the time being Hindi is the only language
312 supported, and it only works in a limited number of desktop environments.
313 Check the thread:
314
315 20. http://forums.gentoo.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=501
316 21. http://indlinux.org/
317
318 * Indian Language support in GNOME2.4 & XFCE4[22]
319 22. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=133464
320
321 New Polish Forum
322
323 Yet another language version for the official Gentoo Forums: The bulletin
324 boards at Gentoo Poland that had been active for several months already
325 have now been complemented by a Polish addition to forums.gentoo.org too.
326 Variety rules:
327
328 * Polish Forum[23]
329 23. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum.php?f=45
330
331 Call for WLAN Test Equipment
332
333 Gentoo developer Latexer[24] is looking for some of the harder-to-get-by
334 WLAN hardware in order to do some driver hacking and testing on them. If
335 you've got a spare PCMCIA or PCI wireless card with any of the chipsets
336 he's mentioned in this thread, he'll be happy to hear from you:
337
338 24. http://forums.gentoo.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=15665
339
340 * Spare wifi hardware put to good use.[25]
341 25. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=133801
342
343 gentoo-user
344 -----------
345
346 What doesn't work with 2.6?
347
348 One of the larger threads this week was a discussion regarding what does
349 and does not work with the new 2.6 Linux kernel. Definitely some
350 nice-to-know info. Check it out here[26]
351
352 26. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/64641
353
354 Lightweight HTTPD
355
356 Serving only a few static webpages? You might be interested in this[27]
357 thread discussing smaller, simpler alternatives to Apache.
358
359 27. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/64304
360
361 gentoo-dev
362 ----------
363
364 Libraries and Binary Packages.
365
366 Use many binary packages? Ever have trouble with broken library links?
367 Well, this is the post for you. Enter the world of binary packages in
368 Gentoo. More often than not, we compile here in Gentoo land, but sometimes
369 (kde, gnome, openoffice please take the stage) it's just as easy to use
370 pre-compiled packages. However, this can provide it's own fun adventures
371 when it comes to library dependancies. Have a look[28] for more ideas.
372
373 28. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/15665/
374
375 etc-update and Essential Configs
376
377 One of our favorite accessories, etc-update, usually makes life a whole
378 lot easier. But what about those essential - and more often than not,
379 system specific - configuration files like /etc/fstab, /etc/group and
380 /etc/passwd? Should etc-update leave those alone regardless? Should the
381 default be to make "example" files of the new files? Check it out[29].
382
383 29. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/15649/
384
385 =======================
386 6. Gentoo International
387 =======================
388
389 Belgium: Gentoo Developers and Users Meet at FOSDEM in Brussels on 21 & 22
390 February
391
392 Just like last year, lots of Europeans on the Gentoo team take the
393 opportunity to be at Europe's number one developer conference[30] quite
394 seriously. This is the best venue for a meeting of those who are actively
395 participating in advancing Gentoo Linux on a planetary scale, and besides
396 Brussels does have a rather interesting gastronomical infrastructure, too.
397 Though it's mostly a conference and not an exhibition as such, there will
398 be an even bigger and better Gentoo booth than last year. If you want to
399 make sure you meet the right people, be there on both Saturday 21 and
400 Sunday 22 February 2004.
401
402 30. http://fosdem.org
403
404 Germany: Chemnitzer Linuxtag 6 & 7 March
405
406 With a few more days left before they really need to panic, the organisers
407 of the Gentoo booth at the upcoming Linuxtag[31] (link points to German
408 webpage) at the University of Chemnitz are looking for people to help out,
409 by bringing hardware to the event, and answering questions of the many
410 visitors expected at Saxonia's main Linux event of the year. You can
411 volunteer at this forum thread[32].
412
413 31. http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/2004/allgemeines/
414 32. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=131827
415
416 ===========
417 7. Bugzilla
418 ===========
419
420 Summary
421 -------
422
423 * Statistics
424 * Closed Bug Ranking
425 * New Bug Rankings
426
427 Statistics
428 ----------
429
430 The Gentoo community uses Bugzilla (bugs.gentoo.org[33]) to record and
431 track bugs, notifications, suggestions and other interactions with the
432 development team. Between 30 January 2004 and 05 February 2004, activity
433 on the site has resulted in:
434
435 33. http://bugs.gentoo.org
436
437 * 602 new bugs during this period
438 * 311 bugs closed or resolved during this period
439 * 24 previously closed bugs were reopened this period
440
441 Of the 5066 currently open bugs: 118 are labeled 'blocker', 197 are
442 labeled 'critical', and 373 are labeled 'major'.
443
444 Closed Bug Rankings
445 -------------------
446
447 The developers and teams who have closed the most bugs during this period
448 are:
449
450 * Jeremy Huddleston[34], with 26 closed bugs[35]
451 * AMD64 Porting Team[36], with 21 closed bugs[37]
452 * Gentoo Games[38], with 19 closed bugs[39]
453 * Portage team[40], with 14 closed bugs[41]
454 * Gentoo Sound Team[42], with 13 closed bugs[43]
455 34. eradicator@g.o
456 35.
457 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&ch
458 field=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2004-01-30&chfieldto=2004-02-05&resolution=FIX
459 ED&assigned_to=eradicator@g.o
460 36. amd64@g.o
461 37.
462 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&ch
463 field=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2004-01-30&chfieldto=2004-02-05&resolution=FIX
464 ED&assigned_to=amd64@g.o
465 38. games@g.o
466 39.
467 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&ch
468 field=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2004-01-30&chfieldto=2004-02-05&resolution=FIX
469 ED&assigned_to=games@g.o
470 40. dev-portage@g.o
471 41.
472 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&ch
473 field=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2004-01-30&chfieldto=2004-02-05&resolution=FIX
474 ED&assigned_to=dev-portage@g.o
475 42. sound@g.o
476 43.
477 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&ch
478 field=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2004-01-30&chfieldto=2004-02-05&resolution=FIX
479 ED&assigned_to=sound@g.o
482 New Bug Rankings
483 ----------------
484
485 The developers and teams who have been assigned the most new bugs during
486 this period are:
487
488 * Core System Packages Team[44], with 32 new bugs[45]
489 * AMD64 Porting Team[46], with 17 new bugs[47]
490 * Net-Mail Packages Team[48], with 13 new bugs[49]
491 * Gentoo KDE Team[50], with 12 new bugs[51]
492 * Jeremy Huddleston[52], with 12 new bugs[53]
493 44. base-system@g.o
494 45.
495 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_s
496 tatus=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2004-01-30&chfieldto=2004-02
497 -05&assigned_to=base-system@g.o
498 46. amd64@g.o
499 47.
500 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_s
501 tatus=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2004-01-30&chfieldto=2004-02
502 -05&assigned_to=amd64@g.o
503 48. net-mail@g.o
504 49.
505 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_s
506 tatus=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2004-01-30&chfieldto=2004-02
507 -05&assigned_to=net-mail@g.o
508 50. kde@g.o
509 51.
510 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_s
511 tatus=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2004-01-30&chfieldto=2004-02
512 -05&assigned_to=kde@g.o
513 52. eradicator@g.o
514 53.
515 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_s
516 tatus=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2004-01-30&chfieldto=2004-02
517 -05&assigned_to=eradicator@g.o
518
519 ==================
520 8. Tips and Tricks
521 ==================
522
523 Job Control
524
525 This week's tip shows you how to use the basics of job control in the
526 shell by putting processes in the background and returning them to the
527 foreground.
528
529 Whenever you execute a command at the command line, that's a job that has
530 to be run. Most commands execute quickly and return you to the command
531 line. But some commands (for example, using cp to copy a large amount of
532 data), can take a long time. When that happens, your terminal will be
533 unaccessible unless you put the job in the background.
534
535 To put a job in the background, type <Ctrl>-z to suspend the job (and
536 regain control of your terminal), and then type bg to put the job in the
537 background.
538
539 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
540 | Code Listing 8.1: |
541 |-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
542 |% cp file backup/file |
543 |Ctrl-z |
544 |zsh: 1398 suspended cp file backup/file |
545 |% bg |
546 |[1] + continued cp file backup/file |
547 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
548
549 Alternatively, you can put the job in the background from the start using
550 the & sign.
551
552 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
553 | Code Listing 8.2: |
554 |-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
555 |>% cp file backup/file & |
556 |[1] 1608 |
557 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
558
559 To see your running jobs you can use jobs. If you need to stop a job, you
560 can use kill %jobnumber
561
562 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
563 | Code Listing 8.3: |
564 |-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
565 |% cp file backup/file & |
566 |[1] 1751 |
567 |% jobs |
568 |[1] + running cp file backup/file |
569 |% kill %1 |
570 |no news is good news |
571 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
572
573 ===========================
574 9. Moves, Adds, and Changes
575 ===========================
576
577 Moves
578 -----
579
580 The following developers recently left the Gentoo team:
581 * none this week
582
583 Adds
584 ----
585
586 The following developers recently joined the Gentoo Linux team:
587
588 * none this week
589
590 Changes
591 -------
592
593 The following developers recently changed roles within the Gentoo Linux
594 project:
595
596 * none this week
597
598 =====================
599 10. Contribute to GWN
600 =====================
601
602 Interested in contributing to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter? Send us an
603 email[54].
604
605 54. gwn-feedback@g.o
606
607 ================
608 11. GWN Feedback
609 ================
610
611 Please send us your feedback[55] and help make the GWN better.
612
613 55. gwn-feedback@g.o
614
615 ================================
616 12. GWN Subscription Information
617 ================================
618
619 To subscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank email to
620 gentoo-gwn-subscribe@g.o.
621
622 To unsubscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank email to
623 gentoo-gwn-unsubscribe@g.o from the email address you are
624 subscribed under.
625
626 ===================
627 13. Other Languages
628 ===================
629
630 The Gentoo Weekly Newsletter is also available in the following languages:
631
632 * Dutch[56]
633 * English[57]
634 * German[58]