From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-gwn@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-gwn] Gentoo Weekly Newsletter 18 September 2006
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:48:42
Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
This is the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter for the week of 18 September 2006.
1. Gentoo news
Problems with openssl
There have been some recent problems with dev-libs/openssl version
0.9.8c-r2. Users on x86 may need to remerge openssh and all other
ssl-enabled applications after upgrading from previous 0.9.8 versions. If
you are having problems with ssh segfaults, you are affected and will need
to remerge the affected packages.
Portage 2.1.1 released
While it normally is not necessary to mention patch-level revisions of
packages, this one deserves a bit of attention. Version 2.1.1 of portage
has been marked stable on most architectures. This version of portage as a
new --depclean implementation. The new depclean is more cautious about
removing packages. If it is unsure about a package, it leaves it alone. It
will also point our missing dependencies of packages in world. This should
reduce the number of pitfalls of using depclean on an updated system
significantly. This release also brings some new functionality to
--newuse, which is now sensitive to changes in IUSE. Immediately after
upgrade from 2.1, users may notice a significantly larger number of
packages being pulled in by --newuse, but that behavior is normal. For
additional information regarding this change, please see bugs #116995[1],
#144333[2], #144661[3], and #146060[4].

Cleanup of autotools wrappers
Mike Frysinger[5] has modified the autotools wrappers ebuilds to no longer
include all versions of their respective autotool. Users should be on the
lookout with packages with possible broken dependencies due to this
change. Packages should be depending on the autotools versions they
require rather than the wrapper. If you run across any errors due to a
missing autotools version, please file a bug report[6].

 5. vapier@g.o
2. Heard in the community
Let's have a Larry bootup Logo!
Forums user Tom Lloyd (Napalm Llama) has written a kernel patch to change
the default Tux boot logo to Larry the Cow. Tom asks if the Gentoo patch
set should include his patch to give our gender-confused mascot a proper
place on people's boot screen and was met with an overall positive
Trying to ask before... new Amarok support
Diego Pettenò[7], maintainer of Amarok's ebuild, waiting for the upcoming
release that will add optional Rio Karma devices support, is looking for
users interested in having support for these players in Gentoo. If you own
a Rio Karma player and want it supported by Amarok, or you'd simply like
at least basic Rio Karma support in Gentoo, please read the blog post.

 7. flameeyes@g.o
Purging Gnome from the system
Etaoin Shrdlu asked for help removing Gnome from his system; Bo Ørsted
Andresen suggsted that he "just edit /var/lib/portage/world manually and
remove the gnome etc. apps that you are no longer interested in and let
emerge --depclean -va do it's [sic] job."
Flashing the BIOS
Grant asked for ideas in BIOS flashing. Users suggested everything from
the standard floppy solution to converting the swap partition to DOS and
flashing from there. Grant ended up using the Motherboard Flash Boot CD
from the Linux Mini HOWTO.
What is up with the new "domainname" situation?
Users continue to have trouble adapting their domainname configurations to
the new baselayout. A reminder: Set up your domainname in /etc/conf.d/net;
see /etc/conf.d/net.example for more information.
3. Tips and Tricks
Changing default portage colors
When using a white background for a terminal emulator and portage displays
some text in yellow (e.g. new useflags with the "%") it can be very hard
to read. To change the yellow color of emerge output to something more
readable (consistently and system-wide) one can just create the file
/etc/portage/ with the following information:
| Code Listing 3.1: /etc/portage/                                |
|yellow=0xAA00AA                                                          |
|WARN=0xAA00AA                                                            |
|MERGE_LIST_PROGRESS=0xAA00AA                                             |
Example of colours visible on both black and white backgrounds are:
purple: 0xAA00AA darkyellow: 0xAA5500 (looks brown/orange)
More information can be found on the following threads on the forums.
4. Gentoo developer moves
The following developers recently left the Gentoo project:
 * none this week
The following developers recently joined the Gentoo project:
 * none this week
The following developers recently changed roles within the Gentoo project:
 * none this week
5. Gentoo security
AdPlug: Multiple vulnerabilities
Multiple heap and buffer overflows exist in AdPlug.
For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[8]

LibXfont, monolithic Multiple integer overflows
Some buffer overflows were discovered in the CID font parser, potentially
resulting in the execution of arbitrary code with elevated privileges.
For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[9]

xine-lib: Buffer overflows
xine-lib is vulnerable to multiple buffer overflows that could be
exploited to execute arbitrary code.
For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[10]

FFmpeg: Buffer overflows
FFmpeg is vulnerable to multiple buffer overflows that might be exploited
to execute arbitrary code.
For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[11]

DokuWiki: Arbitrary command execution
Vulnerabilities in some accessory scripts of DokuWiki allow remote code
For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[12]

BIND: Denial of Service
ISC BIND contains two vulnerabilities allowing a Denial of Service under
certain conditions.
For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[13]

6. Bugzilla
 * Statistics
 * Closed bug ranking
 * New bug rankings
The Gentoo community uses Bugzilla ([14]) to record and
track bugs, notifications, suggestions and other interactions with the
development team. Between 10 September 2006 and 17 September 2006,
activity on the site has resulted in:

 * 861 new bugs during this period
 * 430 bugs closed or resolved during this period
 * 32 previously closed bugs were reopened this period
 * 202 bugs marked as duplicates during this period
Of the 11130 currently open bugs: 37 are labeled 'blocker', 126 are
labeled 'critical', and 530 are labeled 'major'.
Closed bug rankings
The developers and teams who have closed the most bugs during this period
 * Java team[15], with 27 closed bugs[16]
 * Gentoo Linux Gnome Desktop Team[17], with 20 closed bugs[18]
 * Gentoo Games[19], with 16 closed bugs[20]
 * AMD64 Project[21], with 15 closed bugs[22]
 * Gentoo's Team for Core System packages[23], with 13 closed bugs[24]
 * SpanKY[25], with 12 closed bugs[26]
 * Gentoo Security[27], with 8 closed bugs[28]
 * Gentoo Genkernel Maintainers[29], with 8 closed bugs[30]
 15. java@g.o
 17. gnome@g.o
 19. games@g.o
 21. amd64@g.o
 23. base-system@g.o
 25. vapier@g.o
 27. security@g.o
 29. genkernel@g.o

New bug rankings
The developers and teams who have been assigned the most new bugs during
this period are:
 * Default Assignee for New Packages[31], with 55 new bugs[32]
 * Gentoo Developer Relations Team[33], with 13 new bugs[34]
 * AMD64 Project[35], with 13 new bugs[36]
 * Mozilla Gentoo Team[37], with 10 new bugs[38]
 * Hanno Boeck[39], with 10 new bugs[40]
 * Gentoo Sound Team[41], with 9 new bugs[42]
 * Gentoo Games[43], with 8 new bugs[44]
 * Gentoo Linux Gnome Desktop Team[45], with 7 new bugs[46]
 31. maintainer-wanted@g.o
 33. devrel@g.o
 35. amd64@g.o
 37. mozilla@g.o
 39. hanno@g.o
 41. sound@g.o
 43. games@g.o
 45. gnome@g.o

7. GWN subscription information
To subscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank e-mail to
To unsubscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, send a blank e-mail to
gentoo-gwn+unsubscribe@g.o from the e-mail address you are
subscribed under.
8. Other languages
The Gentoo Weekly Newsletter is also available in the following languages:
 * Chinese (Simplified)[47]
 * Danish[48]
 * Dutch[49]
 * English[50]