From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] AMD64 + hardened
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 12:38:33
1 Javi Moreno wrote:
2 > I've succesfully installed an AMD64+hardened. Runs
3 > apache+postfix+postgres+courier-imap+many things.
4 >
5 > No problems so far, u'll have to use grub-static.
6
7 Thanks.
8
9 I have run into some early problems booting the darn system! Perhaps
10 someone here has some cunning ideas
11
12 Basic issue is that the machine is one of the cheap hosted boxes from
13 1&1 internet in the UK. They pre-install one of three operating systems
14 and then have a really neat PXE boot into a rescue OS. So basically I
15 am booting into the debian 2.6kernel rescue boot system and then trying
16 to bootstrap the AMD64 install from there.
17
18 The big issue is that it's a 32bit install of debian and so it's quite
19 difficult to chroot into the 64bit stage 3 because /bin/bash is not
20 going to run under a 32 bit kernel...
21
22 I have spent quite a bit of time (and ultimately failed) to figure out
23 how to boot the CD install which has been unpacked onto a spare
24 partition. I reformatted the syslinux boot line to work under gentoo,
25 but it keeps reporting that it can't find the root filesystem.
28 I think for the moment I am going to stick with the 32 bit distro
29 because it's going to improve my options if I need the rescue boot to
30 recover control of the machine. However, what is the best compiler
31 option for 32bit on an AMD64? At first sight it would appear that I
32 should use "-march=pentium4" because other athlon options don't use the
33 SSE2? Same for the kernel architecture option?
34
35 Final question: I have a 32bit 2006.1 up and running on the machine
36 right now. What are the implications of just turning on the hardened
37 flag and running "emerge -e"? From some discussion a few days back it
38 seems that hardened is extremely unsupported with gcc4.1.1 right now??
39
40 Is there a hardened stage 3 refresh due imminently?
41
42 Cheers all
43
44 Ed W