From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Proposed changes to predefined Hardened Gentoo WORKSTATION and SERVER settings
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:31:08
1 Hi hardened users,
2
3 Currently, when configuring the hardened kernel, the user is presented
4 with some predefined Security Levels. (Security options -> Grsecuirty
5 -> Security Level). Four of these are set by Gentoo
6
7 Hardened Gentoo [server]
8 Hardened Gentoo [server no rbac]
9 Hardened Gentoo [workstation]
10 Hardened Gentoo [workstation no rbac]
11
12 These are defined so as to maximize security while minimizing breakage
13 with Gentoo software. I'm proposing to change this to
14
15 Hardened Gentoo [server]
16 Hardened Gentoo [workstation or virtualization host]
17
18 One change will be to remove the "no rbac" option which is easily turned
19 on/off at Security options -> Grsecuirty -> Role Based Access Control
20 Options -> Disable RBAC system. The default will be on (ie do not
21 disable rbac). Even if the users doesn't want to use RBAC and still
22 enables it, there is no harm done since RBAC simply be available but not
23 used unless turned on by gradm.
24
25 The other change will be to add a "virtualization host" option.
26 Currently these settings are identical to the workstation and so are
27 coalesced, but may change. I am trying to make the hardened kernel
28 compatible with VirtualBox and kvm, but there are some security settings
29 which will most likely *always* break virtualization and will need to be
30 turned off.
31
32 This is work in progress and testing is appreciated. The ebuilds are on
33 my overlay.
37 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
38 Gentoo Developer