From: "mike@××××.org" <mike@××××.org>
To: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened laptops
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:54:21
1 > 1) what's the speed penalties involved ?
2 > I only have a 500Mhz Celeron chip in my laptop so I'm kinda worried it
3 > will send GNOME down the drain to encrypt the entire FS.
4
5 Well, I did not do any formal benchmarks but my laptop is certainly just as
6 usable as when it had a plaintext filesystem. I have not yet noticed any
7 performance issues. Of course, I'm not capturing video or any other
8 HD-intensive activities. My laptop is an iBook with a 600MHz G3.
9
10 > 2) Would this be applicable to encrypting specific partitions - since
11 > I've been looking at encrypting my /home on my desktop as well - most
12 > because I can though.
13
14 My pam_mount (http://www.flyn.org) PAM module allows one to easily use their
15 system password to unlock an encrypted home directory. I recommend it if you
16 want to avoid encrypting your whole hard drive. There is a pam_losetup module
17 out there as well that does something similar -- but I have not tried it.
20 Mike
24 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list