From: Peter Simons <simons@××××.to>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: PaX in linux-2.6.5-hardened-r5
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:12:27
1 Ned Ludd writes:
2
3 > /etc/init.d/chpax restart
4 > startx
5
6 I did that, but it didn't change anything, same error. All I
7 see on the screen is:
8
9 Fatal server error:
10 Cannot open log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log"
11
12 When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
13 the full server output, not just the last messages.
14 Please report problems to xfree86@×××××××.org.
15
16 giving up.
17 xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
18 xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
19
20 No log X11 file, nothing in syslog, nada.
21
22 But it get's better: When I do it as 'root', it works! I can
23 start xdm, for instance, and then log in as 'simons' and
24 it's fine. I can startx as root, but I cannot startx as
25 'simons'. Once I go back to the development-sources kernel
26 (without PaX), everything works normally.
27
28 I have switched SELinux into permissive mode -- no
29 difference either.
30
31 Any ideas what this might be?
32