From: Dale Pontius <DEPontius@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux news
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 22:23:10
1 Chris PeBenito wrote:
2
3 >Here is some news on the SELinux front, current events and stuff that is
4 >on the horizon.
5 >
6 >XFS users should not use >=2.6.14 as a SELinux update caused breakage
7 >[1], stay tuned for updates on this.
10 I take it that since there has been no new news here, the just-released
11 hardened-sources-2.4.14-r2 doesn't fix this?
12
13 >In the next couple months, there will be several changes in policy and
14 >policy management. First, we will be moving to Reference Policy [2].
15 >The NSA example policy has been superseded by this policy. It is not
16 >quite ready yet for a strict policy (the current Gentoo policy is a
17 >strict policy), but it will be soon. The effect of this is will be
18 >noticeable to the users, as it can create a targeted and strict policy
19 >from the same source tree, with no modifications; thus, we will begin
20 >supporting the targeted policy, primarily for desktops. It also has
21 >several new features; notably, it supports loadable policy modules,
22 >which I'll discuss later.
25 I have a fair amount of software (leafnode, dovecot, smartd) for which
26 there is no policy, currently. At the moment it seems that "no policy,
27 no work-ee." I'm under the impression that in the new stuff, it can be
28 made more permissive about having no-policy stuff work. Is that true? Or
29 even if I'm about to start to have to learn to write policies, I may as
30 well wait and do it under the new base, I guess.
31
32 >[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=selinux&m=112653995009765&w=2
33 >[2] http://serefpolicy.sourceforge.net
34 >[3] http://sepolicy-server.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=modules