From: Kevin <lists@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Obtaining a Xen/SELinux/PaX/GRSecurity kernel
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 04:31:42
1 Hi Folks-
2
3 I've read a little discussion in the archive on this subject (such as
4 http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-hardened@l.g.o/msg00338.html)
5 but not much and not recently.
6
7 I've also read a little discussion in non-gentoo forums:
8 http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/01/0444221
9
10 As I try to do this, it's just dawned on me that by going strictly with
11 gentoo packages, I can have a kernel running from either:
12
13 xen-sources (which patches the kernel for xen but not for
14 SELinux/PaX/GRSecurity)
15
16 or
17
18 hardened-sources (which patches the kernel for SELinux/PaX/GRSecurity
19 but not for xen)
20
21 If I wanted all four of the Xen/SELinux/PaX/GRSecurity patch sets
22 incorporated into a kernel, any recommendations for doing this?
23
24 Ideas:
25
26 1) start with xen-sources and apply the hardened patches by hand (seems
27 like it might be daunting)
28
29 2) start with hardened-sources and apply the xen patches by hand (also
30 seems daunting though maybe a tad less so)
31
32 3) start with vanilla-sources and apply gentoo patches, hardened
33 patches, and xen patches by hand (and any others I think I need)
34
35 4) don't even bother with gentoo kernel packages and just handle the
36 kernel as a software package that's not in portage and get the vanilla
37 kernel tarball and desired patches and do the patching myself by hand
38
39 Has anyone done anything like this? Is it silly to even think that the
40 hand-applied patches will apply without rejects?
41
42 Or should I be doing a strictly Xen kernel as the host kernel and if I
43 want SELinux/PaX/GRSecurity, put that in a guest kernel? But doesn't
44 the guest kernel also have to be patched for xen? In which case the
45 original question of getting a kernel patched with all four still applies.
46
47 I'm so confused....
48
49 Thanks.