From: Alexander Gabert <pappy@g.o>
To: Martin Bene <martin.bene@×××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Question WRT Grsecurity/PAx and AV Scanner
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:58:03
1 hallo Martin,
2
3 sorry to interrupt your thoughts, but gcc trampolines are not used for
4 such things :-(
5
6 lets answer your questions:
7
8 On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 20:01, Martin Bene wrote:
9 > Hi,
10 >
11 > I'm trying to get kaspersky AV (4.0.3.1) to run on a gentoo box with active
12 > gr security Segmentation based exec protection.
13 that is good when grsecurity is active
14 >
15 > Problem:
16 > * The kaspersky scanner / scanner daemon processess triggers the pax
17 > protection
18 > * The executables are statically linked
19 no problem
20
21 > * The executables check for modification, i.e. after modifying with
22 > chpax they no longer run.
23 halflife counterstrike servers do that too
26 > I expect that the triggering code would be a gcc trampoline, so compiling
27 > with trampoline + automatic detection turned on might work - but it's not a
28 > very good solution since it affects all executables on the system.
29 >
30 > Is there any way of running an executable with modified grsecurity options
31 > without changing the on-disk file with chpax?
32 yes, there is
33 with an enabled grsec system, you have to put grsecurity acl PaX flags
34 for the kaspersky binary:
35
36 from grsecurity.net acl doc:
37
38 · P DISABLES the PAGEEXEC feature of PaX on this subject
39
40 · S DISABLES the SEGMEXEC feature of PaX on this subject
41
42 · M DISABLES the MPROTECT feature of PaX on this subject
43
44 · R DISABLES the RANDMMAP feature of PaX on this subject
45
46 · G ENABLES the EMUTRAMP feature of PaX on this subject
47
48 · X ENABLES the RANDEXEC feature of PaX on this subject
49
50 read the gracl doc on the grsecurity.net website and the forums, then go
51 to the section F:
52
53 F. PaX flags and caveats
54
55 there you find more and more docs about setting the appropriate PaX
56 flags in the grsec acl.
57
58 you NEED to remember that this only prevents the binary from dying when
59 grsec is actually ACTIVE and RUNNING.
60 otherwise the local file chpax flags INSIDE the binary will trigger.
61 and the kaspersky scanner does not like it for a reason we all know:
62 tampering protection :-)
65 > Thanks, Martin
66
67 yo, keep on rolling!