From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] -fno-PIE usage in ebuilds
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:30:19
1 On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 13:00, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
2 > Hello!
3 >
4 > I see that more and more ebuilds use -fno-PIE and -fno-pie (both)
5 >
6 > 1. Should we not make some arch dependent usage of these (built into gcc)?
7 > I need info about the different archs, which one should be used (the same
8 > as -fPIC / -fpic)
9 > 2. It would be more correct to use nopie, this will also disable the use
10 > of the PIC built crt start and endfile, else I should add -fno-PIE and
11 > -fno-pie to the crtfile selection too (this happens if some package calls
12 > directly ld, not through gcc)
13 >
14 > Peter
15
16 Only the flag-o-matic.eclass need to be altered for this.
17 It's behavior now is questionable at best.
18 --
19 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
20 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer